Absolute Encoder Upgrade; do I need PEC anymore?

Rick Darden

Hello All,

I just purchased the encoder upgrade for my 1100. Is PEC obsolete now? And are there any best practices or things I should know vs running the mount non-AE? The mount is at Dark Sky New Mexico (I live in FL) and I am planning a visit out there to do the install and routine maintenance in a couple of months.

Just want to get any advice I can get to be prepared as much as possible.

Rick Darden

David

Rick,

PEC will not matter when they’re installed.  It will not exist anymore.  Just turn the encoders on and forget about them.  They just work.  You won’t run it non-AE after that.

David

On Jun 2, 2020, at 8:18 PM, Rick Darden <rick@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I just purchased the encoder upgrade for my 1100. Is PEC obsolete now? And are there any best practices or things I should know vs running the mount non-AE? The mount is at Dark Sky New Mexico (I live in FL) and I am planning a visit out there to do the install and routine maintenance in a couple of months.

Just want to get any advice I can get to be prepared as much as possible.

Rick Darden

Rick Darden

Glad to hear that. PEC's were not that fussy to maintain but it is good to hear it is now a non-worry. Thanks much.

Roland Christen

Yes, PEC is obsolete (not used) with the encoder option. The mount will operate in a normal manner as before, just without periodic error.