Keypad Error #Keypad

Dean Jacobsen

I have a backup keypad that I need to replace the old battery and upgrade to the most recent software version.  It hasn't been used for a couple of years.  When plugged it into the CP3 controller for the 900 I got a flashing version number followed by a question mark and then the keypad hangs.

Is this to be expected with a completely dead battery, or is this an indicator of a more serious problem with the keypad?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

George

Dean,

You may be experiencing some oxidation issues also.   Please see our Keypad Maintenance Instructions on the Tech Support page for safe opening and checking.   Plug the connectors in and out a few times and insure that they seat fully.

https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/keypad/keypad-maintenance-instructions.pdf

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

I have a backup keypad that I need to replace the old battery and upgrade to the most recent software version.  It hasn't been used for a couple of years.  When plugged it into the CP3 controller for the 900 I got a flashing version number followed by a question mark and then the keypad hangs.

Is this to be expected with a completely dead battery, or is this an indicator of a more serious problem with the keypad?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Dean Jacobsen

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

Hi George

Would you recommend using a dielectric grease on these connections to minimize / prevent corrosion ?

I have never seen any corrosion on my keypad or mount cables, but I have seen some corrosion on the USB cables that plug into my cameras.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

George

Michael,

Chris Erickson has spoken of it with great praise.   I have no experience with it and cannot speak to it.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 06:00 AM, George wrote:
You may be experiencing some oxidation issues also.
Yes, that was the problem.  Cleaned the blue board connector and pins with Deoxit and it boots right up.  Now to change the battery while I have the keypad open.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Keep the keypad powered as you change the battery.

Roland

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 09:39 AM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
Keep the keypad powered as you change the battery.
Too late.  :-)  Not a big deal for me to re-load the database.  I assume it is corrupted.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

I assume it is corrupted.
Yup!

Keep the keypad powered as you change the battery.
Too late.  :-)  Not a big deal for me to re-load the database.  I assume it is corrupted.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

DFisch

Dean, tell me about DEoxit and where best to get it. I use an automotive terminal cleaner, not for battery cables that I’ve used in my dads auto shop years ago, may not be best for finer electronic boards. Tom

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 12:36 Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 06:00 AM, George wrote:
You may be experiencing some oxidation issues also.
Yes, that was the problem.  Cleaned the blue board connector and pins with Deoxit and it boots right up.  Now to change the battery while I have the keypad open.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

TJF MOBILE

George

De-Oxit can be purchased through Amazon or you can find it in local electronic supply stores.   I have been told that music stores that sell musical instruments stock it for bands.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

Dean, tell me about DEoxit and where best to get it. I use an automotive terminal cleaner, not for battery cables that I’ve used in my dads auto shop years ago, may not be best for finer electronic boards. Tom

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 12:36 Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 06:00 AM, George wrote:

You may be experiencing some oxidation issues also.

Yes, that was the problem.  Cleaned the blue board connector and pins with Deoxit and it boots right up.  Now to change the battery while I have the keypad open.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

TJF MOBILE

Dean Jacobsen

Edited

... what George said.  :-)

Tom, I got my can of Deoxit from Amazon.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/