SkySafari Pro 6 with GTOCP3

arenslo@...

Hi All,

Anyone using SkySafari Pro 5/6 to control a GTOCP3 via USB-serial adapter on a Mac?  I can't seem to get the scope to connect, though I recall this working a few years back when I tried on an earlier macOS and possibly before I updated the firmware in the CP3 to V2.  Probably I'm missing something simple so let me know.  I can provide the connection log if that helps.

Notwithstanding the above, I am also considering upgrading to a CP4 for the wireless and USB connectivity, so interested in hearing the experiences of anyone using SkySafari Pro on a Mac with the CP4.  I am a visual observer so looking for a simple observatory/mount control option and SkySafari Pro seems like it could be a good solution for me.

Thanks!  Adam

Robert Berta

I added a GTO 1100 with CP4 to my existing GTO 900 CP3. One of the reasons I did was because of the Wireless. Sadly the wireless on the CP4 is problematic. I and others have issues of it dropping connections and than having a hard time reconnecting. I was one of the early owners of the CP4 and although there have been a few firmware updates on both the CP4 and hand controller, nothing has corrected the issue. I run Sky Safari Pro latest versions.  I finally had to go with a SKYFi latest unit which does work flawlessly with Sky Safari Pro. I run with a couple of Samsung Android devices....tablet and cell phone. I know AP has been trying to figure out what the issue is but not having any luck. Those runnng Apple devices may have different experiences.
In short if you are happy with the CP3, and want wireless the SkyFi unit does work great and you won't need to upgrade to the CP4....especially for visual.

I can't figure out why SkyFi works so well and AP doesn't. Perhaps it is the wifi module in the control box itself.

arenslo@...

Thanks Robert, have you used the SkyFi with both the CP3 and CP4?   I see that the device has a physical RS232 plug, so that would remove one possible source of problem from my equation (usb-serials adapter).   Adam

Woody Schlom

Adam,

I’m not a Mac person, so can’t help you there.  But I have successfully controlled my Mach1 CP3 using SkySafari-5 Pro and SkySafari-6 Pro using either a SkyBT (serial to Bluetooth – a.k.a. RN-270) or SkyFi-III (serial or USB to WiFi).  All work fine.

If you’re using a serial to USB adapter on your Mac, which one do you have?  I realize that AP used to recommend the KeySpan HS-19, but I retired mine many years ago in favor of either a genuine FTDI adapter, or another brand containing the FTDI chip.  For some reason, FTDI “gets it” and their chip just plain works – with everything.

Woody

Anyone using SkySafari Pro 5/6 to control a GTOCP3 via USB-serial adapter on a Mac?  I can't seem to get the scope to connect, though I recall this working a few years back when I tried on an earlier macOS and possibly before I updated the firmware in the CP3 to V2.  Probably I'm missing something simple so let me know.  I can provide the connection log if that helps.

Notwithstanding the above, I am also considering upgrading to a CP4 for the wireless and USB connectivity, so interested in hearing the experiences of anyone using SkySafari Pro on a Mac with the CP4.  I am a visual observer so looking for a simple observatory/mount control option and SkySafari Pro seems like it could be a good solution for me.

Thanks!  Adam

arenslo@...

Thanks Woody,

I have a couple adapters, one that is several years old and one recently purchased.  Neither has the FTDI chipset, however, so that is well worth trying.  Much appreciated advice.

Adam

Dominique Durand

Hello,
I confirm that the combination Mach1CP3 / SKYFi3 / standard RS232-USB converter / Safari 5 plus works well on my Android Cell phone. However, I still have the keyboard plugged in and in particular to put in park3 at the end of the session. I turn on the frame which automatically unpaired, I connect with Skysafari which synchronizes with the frame.
I also tested the connection with a Mach1 CP4 and I also noticed disconnections, the reconnection being quick to do.
By cons I have a problem with my new mach2 CP5. The connection is done well but not the synchronization if I have not previously turned on the mount with connection to APCC (or to the driver). I can move the mount with the arrow buttons, but the indication of positioning in the sky is not the right one and the GOTO does not work.
Is it the absence of the keypad?

Dominique

Roland Christen

Hang in there for a bit while I research this with our software engineer.

Rolando.