Topics

AP Eagle for 8-10"

Bill Long

I have the 6" Eagle on my Mach 1, and I just long for a 8-10" version that would work nicely with the 1100 mount. 

Roland -- please, please, please make one! 🙂

Frost David

Just get an ATS pier.  They make 8” and 10” ones and their great!  I’ve got a 10” for my 1100 and it is stable as a rock, although heavy.

David

On May 15, 2020, at 9:22 AM, Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:

I have the 6" Eagle on my Mach 1, and I just long for a 8-10" version that would work nicely with the 1100 mount. 

Bill Long

Not the same as the Eagle man. The Eagle is sexy man. Seriously.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Frost David <frosty5@...>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 6:54 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP Eagle for 8-10"

Just get an ATS pier.  They make 8” and 10” ones and their great!  I’ve got a 10” for my 1100 and it is stable as a rock, although heavy.

David

On May 15, 2020, at 9:22 AM, Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:

Dominique Durand

Hi Bill,
Here is a way to do that I had found when I was looking at whether an AP1100 might be right for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoOwouTf3jc

Dominique

stlrvus

I had an adapter made for mine.  Works perfectly.  Never had a problem. 

dvjbaja

Wow, that looks great, although a little low for a refractor.  

J

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/15/20 7:21 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

Bill Long

That would be a no for me. Looks weird too. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of stlrvus <jmagsaysay58@...>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 7:21 AM

Dominique Durand

Edited

For refractors, you have to put the Eagle in high position, as on the example on Youtube.

Dominique

Bill Long

I put mine in the highest position I could. 

Did I do it wrong?

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Dominique Durand via groups.io <dom33.durand@...>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 9:23 AM

For refractors, you have to put the Eagle in high position, as on the example on Youtube.

Dominique Durand

Edited

For a refractor it is the position which seems to me the most suitable. I have the same Eagle + mach1 installation and an AP130 or C11 on it, but I have an 8 "extension.
It is comfortable for the visual.

Bill Long

I think the Eagle is fine without the extension on it. Why do you need 8 more inches? 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Dominique Durand via groups.io <dom33.durand@...>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 10:17 AM

For a refractor it is the position which seems to me the most suitable. I have the same Eagle + mach1 installation and an AP130 or C11 on it, but I have an 8 "extension.

thefamily90 Phillips

Seated looking at/near Zenith with diagonal the eyepiece height might be perfect

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Long <bill@...>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 1:18:50 PM

I think the Eagle is fine without the extension on it. Why do you need 8 more inches? 

Bill Long

Ah okay, I am an imager and dont do visual. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 10:34 AM

Seated looking at/near Zenith with diagonal the eyepiece height might be perfect

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Long <bill@...>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 1:18:50 PM

Dominique Durand

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 07:18 PM, Bill Long wrote:
I have an observatory with a cement pier to take photos and my Eagle to make astronomical animations where the visitors are standing, with the raising I noticed that it was much more practical, I planned a small stepladder for kids.

Dean Jacobsen

Edited

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 06:54 AM, Frost David wrote:

Yes, the ATS piers are nice... and they are heavy.  I had one for my AP1200GTO.  It was super nice.  Beautiful paint job.  Very solid.  However, I was grateful when there was someone around to help me lift the darn thing into or out of my F350 4WD.  ;-)  As the years passed the 1200 and the ATS pier just got to be too much to lift into the truck, and then out at the remote site, and then back in when it was time to go home, and then back out when I got home.... I actually started just leaving the mount and the pier in the truck from one imaging trip to the next. ;-)  I lightened things up by trading for an AP900GTO and bought a Losmandy HD pier. 

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/ 
Image Gallery - http://astrophoto.net/wp/image-gallery/
Astrobin - https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/ 

Harley Davidson

I have the ATS 12" pier. I did put bigger, heavier handles on it to make it easier to carry. Thing is HEAVY! I also have the 6" Eagle tripod with an 8" extension and have no issues when using it with the 1100 and a 175 f/8.

tony

On 5/15/2020 2:47 PM, Dean Jacobsen wrote:
On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 06:54 AM, Frost David wrote:

Yes, the ATS piers are nice... and they are heavy.  I had one for my AP1200GTO.  It was super nice.  Beautiful paint job.  Very solid.  However, I was grateful when there was someone around to help me lift the darn thing into or out of my F350 4WD.  ;-)  As the years passed the 1200 and the ATS pier just got to be too much to lift into the truck, and then out at the remote site, and then back in when it was time to go home, and then back out when I got home.... I actually started just leaving the mount and the pier in the truck from one imaging strip to the next. ;-) 

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/ 
Image Gallery - http://astrophoto.net/wp/image-gallery/
Astrobin - https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/ 

stlrvus

The Eagle's height is very adjustable.  I raise it when going visual with refractors.  I use the lower settings for imaging, and with bigger optics.

Jose