Mach1 CP3 pier crash!! (Similar to CP4 crash in another thread)

CurtisC

The scope ran all night and crashed into the pier.  No damage to the scope.  No visible damage to mount.  BUT CP3 doesn't work.  It doesn't light up, the keypad is off.  The fuse on the power supply (Pyramid) looks good.  Is there a fuse inside the CP3 that I should look at?

CurtisC

It's the power supply that's gone bad.  I tried another power supply, and the CP3 lights up just fine.

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

Does the power supply have overload protection ? You may be lucky and only have to replace a fuse.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri

I use pyramid supplies on all my equipment. Mine have overload protection. Typically they shut down when overload is detected. Turn them off, wait a bit, then back on. But it may depend on the model you have.

On Apr 28, 2020, at 8:10 PM, Michael Hambrick via groups.io <mike.hambrick@...> wrote:

Does the power supply have overload protection ? You may be lucky and only have to replace a fuse.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Steven

If you unscrew the bottom plate (underneath), you'll see two big capacitors. It's usually one of them that 'goes'. You can buy these for around $1 and replace it yourself very easily. I've done that with two of my pyramids, then I got 'smart' and got a better power supply.

I use pyramid supplies on all my equipment. Mine have overload protection. Typically they shut down when overload is detected. Turn them off, wait a bit, then back on. But it may depend on the model you have.

On Apr 28, 2020, at 8:10 PM, Michael Hambrick via groups.io <mike.hambrick@...> wrote:

Does the power supply have overload protection ? You may be lucky and only have to replace a fuse.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Roland Christen

There is no fuse in the CP3. The Pyramid has an internal circuit breaker.

You can tell if the power is getting to the CP3 if the light is on. Check inside the cigar plug to see if the fuse in side is blown.

The scope ran all night and crashed into the pier.  No damage to the scope.  No visible damage to mount.  BUT CP3 doesn't work.  It doesn't light up, the keypad is off.  The fuse on the power supply (Pyramid) looks good.  Is there a fuse inside the CP3 that I should look at?

Roland Christen

The Pyramid has an internal overload breaker. It resets automatically but it takes some time to reset.

[...]

Thank you Rolando et al.  The power supply went south.  It's the Pyramid that A-P used to sell.  I substituted a Radio Shack power supply, and the CP3 works fine.  I did a the three park positions available in the keypad successfully.  I need stars now to recalc the mount.  Maybe the Pyramid will come back.  It was much hotter than normal when I disconnected it.

David

Curtis,

Consider one from Powerwerx too.  They make two, one with a set voltage and two Powerpole jacks on the front, and this one, with an adjustable output.  I started with a Pyramid but that thing got super hot every time I had it out, was heavy and bulky, and didn’t really supply enough power.  These are built very well, I’ve been using them for years without issue, and they run cool and quiet.  Very nice.  https://powerwerx.com/variable-power-supply-digital-meters-30amp

David

On Apr 28, 2020, at 8:57 PM, CurtisC via groups.io <calypte@...> wrote:

Thank you Rolando et al.  The power supply went south.  It's the Pyramid that A-P used to sell.  I substituted a Radio Shack power supply, and the CP3 works fine.  I did a the three park positions available in the keypad successfully.  I need stars now to recalc the mount.  Maybe the Pyramid will come back.  It was much hotter than normal when I disconnected it.

CurtisC

I have an observatory.  The Pyramid ordinarily doesn't get very hot.  I tested its output voltage this evening, and it tested at 13.8.  So it came back after appearing dead.  Meanwhile, the little Radio Shack p.s. is connected to the CP3.

Joe Zeglinski

Hi,

    You should be aware that under certain conditions, ANY Pyramid power supply, including the one sold through AP,  may NOT reset its “thermal breaker” after a dropout, for upto a half hour. So, you may give up and walk away too soon. Then all, is fine the next night, but the PYRAMID trips again. The Pyramid (old linear technology) supplies are not very efficient, but are generally well designed. Just heed their warnings and limitations.

    If you still have it, carefully read the Instruction Sheet.
Here is  Section #5,  which I transcribed from mine. Substitute “TRIP” ... for their word  “WORK”.
Yes, it does “work” as designed to do. The power supply breaker will trip,  eventually, even if there isn’t an immediate short circuit overload. So, any long duration or repeated mount slews, will eventually have the Pyramid protect itself, so you can take an imposed  coffee break, before going back to imaging :-)

(A-5)  WARNING / DEVICES.

THIS UNIT IS WELL BUILT WITH A WARNING!   SHUT DOWN FUNCTION.

THE WARNING / SHUT DOWN FUNCTION WILL WORK  -  UNDER THE FOLLOWING UNUSUAL STATUS:

1)    THIS UNIT IS USED OVER 15 MINUTES AT 100% OF RATED LOAD.

*

2)    THIS UNIT IS USED OVER 25 MINUTES AT 80% OF RATED LOAD.

*

3)        THE OUTPUT OF THIS UNIT IS SHORT-CIRCUITED/OVER LOAD/OVER TEMPERATURE

NOTES:

1) IF THE WARNING/ SHUT DOWN FUNCTION IS CAUSED BY THE ABOVE ITEMS # 1 AND 2 THEN THIS UNIT WILL RETURN TO NORMAL WHEN THE WARNING/SHUTDOWN FUNCTION CONTINUES TO WORK ABOUT 15-30 MINUTES.

*

2) THIS UNIT IS INTENDED TO CONTINUOUSLY WORK AT 70% OF RATED LOAD DESCRIPTION OF THE WARNING / SHUT DOWN FUNCTION:

STEP I.  THE OUTPUT SHUT SHUT DOWN.

STEP 2.  GREEN LED OF NORMAL OFF

STEP 3.  RED LED OF PROTECTION ON.

    Hope this helps explain the situation you had been having. Check you device power requirements.
When it happened to me, the overload eventually tripped the PYRAMID, and while I was away from the mount for a short while, the power supply cooled off and came alive – and the mount resumed its slew, right into the pier, before I could hit the main power switch. I wish the Pyramid would have stayed powered off, but it seems to have been designed to reset and resume without warning and “unattended operation” – NOT always a good thing.

Joe Z.