AP 1200 won't unpark via APCC

Dan Simpson

I've been enjoying good results using my older AP1200 (ser. # 1200410) for a year or so now. I upgraded last year to a CP4. I generally use ACP for automation and am using APCC and the V2 driver. The problem reared up starting last week while using ACP as I began to have trouble with plate-solving errors. The scope/mount wasn't pointing anywhere near where it should have been. First thing I did was to simplify and take out all of the complications so all of my recent troubleshooting has been manual, no ACP.

I think I'm up to date with both APCC (Ver. 1.8.0.9) and AP V2 ASCOM 5.30.09.

The problem shows up on startup. I power up the mount and then open and connect APCC & AP V2 without problem. But when I click the Unpark button the scope using APCC  the APCC screen does not show the scope as Unparked. The Park button remains grayed out and the Unpark button remains active - but no matter how many times I click on the Unpark nothing changes. The weird thing is the scope is indeed tracking, it is visibly moving at a tracking speed. Also, the bar across the bottom shows the scope is tracking at sidereal and the yellow tracking/parked/stopped info display in the Telescope Position section shows as Tracking. However, I can't get the scope to move using the APCC buttons in the Move Scope section.  I've pasted a screen shot of APCC and V2 at that point.

One other piece of information is that the keypad continues to function. I'm able to Unpark and Park as well as do Goto's to objects in the the keypad catalog. I did find I can use V2 to send the scope to all Park locations (but not using APCC) however the scope does not actually Park as it then continues to track out of the Park location.

I know I'm forgetting some details, I was up all night working on this. I am certainly open to any all suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

Ray Gralak

Dan,

Some strange things: The driver show NO firmware version, and ascom park status shows "Parking". Because of the multiple mount types and versions that APCC and the driver must handle having NO firmware version can cause weird behavior.

To isolate the problem:

1) Uncheck Auto-connect in the APV2 driver section of APCC.
2) Disconnect the AP V2 driver from APCC and all ASCOM client applications so it shuts down.
3) Open the AP V2 ASCOM driver setup and make sure the correct mount type (AP1200) and GTOCP4 are selected.
4) Start APCC separately first instead of having the driver start APCC.
5) Make sure you are running VCP4-P01-13 or later version of firmware in your CP4. If not, upgrade to it.
6) Start the AP Jog program and use it to connect to the driver and don't connect anything else to the driver.
7) Confirm the correct firmware version shows in the driver.
8) Perform your park/unpark tests again.

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Steve Reilly

Dan,

I’m in the same boat and have, for now, edited my startup script to not start APCC. I also had issues with ACP which Bob and I have worked on. I think Tim Long addressed an issue as well with ACP. Not sure where the issue lies but I think it may be a common event in both. One of Bob’s problems was with security levels when sending ACO email notifications. I also had a lockup when changing filters on a run. When it went to switch from blue to luminous it crashed instead of taking the pointing exposure, or was waiting but regardless I could only abort by means of the Task Manager which puts Scheduler in simulator mode when it restarts. Something is amiss but I haven’t been able to do much testing with the weather, clouds and rain, and it appears that Monday may be my next chance if forecast holds.

This is basically saying I have no idea what this issue is but I know of at least 3 others having it. With APCC not running I can operate, at least unpark and run.

-Steve

[...]

Ray I noticed in one of the last times looking at the driver that you can now use the IP address. Is this something that might possibly be an issue. I think mine was setup that way. Choice of IP or COM Ports. I don't recall if that was virtual port or physical port but mine is et I think to the IP address.

-Steve

Author of PEMPro V3: https://www.ccdware.com Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

[...]

Steve,

I’m in the same boat and have, for now, edited my startup script to not start APCC.
The ACP issues you are having have nothing to do with APCC.

APCC cannot cause the exceptions in ACP that you sent me via private email.

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Bob Denny

Ray and Steve - I do think some of Steve's problems are separate, though I did observe unparking problems at Steve's the other day as part of analyzing other issues there. I was hooked to the  AP driver and Unpark didn't do anything. Then I turned on the sidereal tracking (in ACP -> Tracking = True) and it showed unparked in the AP window. Then I parked it from ACP (Park()) and it parked fine. then I unparked it from ACP (Unpark()) and it unparked fine. I couldn't get it to fail after that. Maybe this random data will be useful.

Dan Simpson

Hi Everyone,
Ok, got APCC and V2 off of the autoconnect.
Checked and verified V2 is setup for AP1200, GTOCP4
Verified firmware is VCP4-PO1-13. It flashes on startup but goes blank after maybe a second.
Closed everything down, depowered the mount and started over. Nothing else running except APCC, V2 and my browser
Powered up the mount, opened APCC, clicked on Mount_Connect. Then clicked on APV2Driver_Connect. Hope I got that right.
All good, mount is showing Parked, position 5.
Tried Unpark in APCC, V2, no response.
Opened AP Jog. Connected, no response.
Went to the keypad, hit menu to escape EXT mode, selected a site, pushed S direction key for a moment, mount moved.
Back to the computer and the bottom bar showed sidereal tracking.
Sill unresponsive to Move Scope buttons, nothing.
AP Jog, no response when I tried to move scope. Message: Wrong Tracking State"
Tried Parking using ACPP, no response.
Tried Parking using V2. Total runaway to the north side of pier. No response from Emergency Stop window, had to move quickly and de-power.
Currently regrouping.
Couple photos attached
Side note: cant find the ....10 V2 version at the website.
Thanks for the help,
Dan

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 4:20 PM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:
Dan,

Some strange things: The driver show NO firmware version, and ascom park status shows "Parking". Because of the multiple mount types and versions that APCC and the driver must handle having NO firmware version can cause weird behavior.

To isolate the problem:

1) Uncheck Auto-connect in the APV2 driver section of APCC.
2) Disconnect the AP V2 driver from APCC and all ASCOM client applications so it shuts down.
3) Open the AP V2 ASCOM driver setup and make sure the correct mount type (AP1200) and GTOCP4 are selected.
4) Start APCC separately first instead of having the driver start APCC.
5) Make sure you are running VCP4-P01-13 or later version of firmware in your CP4. If not, upgrade to it.
6) Start the AP Jog program and use it to connect to the driver and don't connect anything else to the driver.
7) Confirm the correct firmware version shows in the driver.
8) Perform your park/unpark tests again.

-Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Dan,

Let's get to the bottom of this. Using APCC's log zipper zip all logs and settings files, ASCOM, and APCC, and attach the zip to a post here. Make sure to use the APCC log zipper and not the driver's. Do not attach the logs separately, make sure to use the log zipper so that settings history is preserved.

If the zip is too large to attach, then create a dropbox link to it and post the link here.

-Ray Gralak

Ok, got APCC and V2 off of the autoconnect.
Checked and verified V2 is setup for AP1200, GTOCP4
Verified firmware is VCP4-PO1-13. It flashes on startup but goes blank after maybe a second.
Closed everything down, depowered the mount and started over. Nothing else running except APCC, V2 and my
browser

Powered up the mount, opened APCC, clicked on Mount_Connect. Then clicked on APV2Driver_Connect. Hope
I got that right.
All good, mount is showing Parked, position 5.
Tried Unpark in APCC, V2, no response.
Opened AP Jog. Connected, no response.
Went to the keypad, hit menu to escape EXT mode, selected a site, pushed S direction key for a moment, mount
moved.
Back to the computer and the bottom bar showed sidereal tracking.
Sill unresponsive to Move Scope buttons, nothing.
AP Jog, no response when I tried to move scope. Message: Wrong Tracking State"
Tried Parking using ACPP, no response.
Tried Parking using V2. Total runaway to the north side of pier. No response from Emergency Stop window, had to
move quickly and de-power.
Currently regrouping.
Couple photos attached
Side note: cant find the ....10 V2 version at the website.
Thanks for the help,
Dan

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 4:20 PM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Dan,

Some strange things: The driver show NO firmware version, and ascom park status shows "Parking".
Because of the multiple mount types and versions that APCC and the driver must handle having NO firmware
version can cause weird behavior.

To isolate the problem:

1) Uncheck Auto-connect in the APV2 driver section of APCC.
2) Disconnect the AP V2 driver from APCC and all ASCOM client applications so it shuts down.
3) Open the AP V2 ASCOM driver setup and make sure the correct mount type (AP1200) and GTOCP4 are
selected.
4) Start APCC separately first instead of having the driver start APCC.
5) Make sure you are running VCP4-P01-13 or later version of firmware in your CP4. If not, upgrade to it.
6) Start the AP Jog program and use it to connect to the driver and don't connect anything else to the driver.
7) Confirm the correct firmware version shows in the driver.
8) Perform your park/unpark tests again.

-Ray Gralak

Steve Reilly

Just in case you didn't know one of the problems early on was that I couldn't unpark as Bob indicted. That was the reason I chimed in. That and that Dan also uses ACP.

-Steve

[...]

Are you having a problem getting the logs zipped? I can only wait a little longer then I have to work on something else.

-Ray Gralak

Ok, got APCC and V2 off of the autoconnect.
Checked and verified V2 is setup for AP1200, GTOCP4
Verified firmware is VCP4-PO1-13. It flashes on startup but goes blank after maybe a second.
Closed everything down, depowered the mount and started over. Nothing else running except APCC, V2 and my
browser

Powered up the mount, opened APCC, clicked on Mount_Connect. Then clicked on APV2Driver_Connect. Hope
I got that right.
All good, mount is showing Parked, position 5.
Tried Unpark in APCC, V2, no response.
Opened AP Jog. Connected, no response.
Went to the keypad, hit menu to escape EXT mode, selected a site, pushed S direction key for a moment, mount
moved.
Back to the computer and the bottom bar showed sidereal tracking.
Sill unresponsive to Move Scope buttons, nothing.
AP Jog, no response when I tried to move scope. Message: Wrong Tracking State"
Tried Parking using ACPP, no response.
Tried Parking using V2. Total runaway to the north side of pier. No response from Emergency Stop window, had to
move quickly and de-power.
Currently regrouping.
Couple photos attached
Side note: cant find the ....10 V2 version at the website.
Thanks for the help,
Dan

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 4:20 PM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Dan,

Some strange things: The driver show NO firmware version, and ascom park status shows "Parking".
Because of the multiple mount types and versions that APCC and the driver must handle having NO firmware
version can cause weird behavior.

To isolate the problem:

1) Uncheck Auto-connect in the APV2 driver section of APCC.
2) Disconnect the AP V2 driver from APCC and all ASCOM client applications so it shuts down.
3) Open the AP V2 ASCOM driver setup and make sure the correct mount type (AP1200) and GTOCP4 are
selected.
4) Start APCC separately first instead of having the driver start APCC.
5) Make sure you are running VCP4-P01-13 or later version of firmware in your CP4. If not, upgrade to it.
6) Start the AP Jog program and use it to connect to the driver and don't connect anything else to the driver.
7) Confirm the correct firmware version shows in the driver.
8) Perform your park/unpark tests again.

-Ray Gralak

Dan Simpson

Sorry, got tied up with some non-astro stuff. I thought it would take longer, the Log Zipper is very nice, very quick,

I've attached my zipped file. It's almost 9000K, let me know if  it goes through.
Thanks,
Dan

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 8:52 PM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:
Dan,

Are you having a problem getting the logs zipped? I can only wait a little longer then I have to work on something else.

-Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Hi Dan,

I've attached my zipped file. It's almost 9000K, let me know if it goes through.
Yes, it did come through but a few things:

1. You did not follow my instructions! You used the ASCOM log zipper instead of the APCC log zipper so there are no APCC logs. :-(

2. You may not have been using the latest APCC Pro (1.8.1.1) and ASCOM driver (5.30.10). Can you make sure that these are installed?

3.Please redo your tests with the latest version again today. I saw that you tried 5.30.10 but there was no response from APCC so maybe it wasn't running yet.

4. To make sure the correct logs are sent make sure you use the log zipper in APCC. In APCC's tools menu there is a log zipper that also collects APCC logs.

In the APCC log zipper please set the number of days to 1 and uncheck any logs from before today so that the zip file size will be minimized. Leave all of the other non-log types of files, but I don't need FITS files or APPM logs.

Thanks!

-Ray Gralak

Sorry, got tied up with some non-astro stuff. I thought it would take longer, the Log Zipper is very nice, very quick,

I've attached my zipped file. It's almost 9000K, let me know if it goes through.
Thanks,
Dan

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 8:52 PM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Dan,

Are you having a problem getting the logs zipped? I can only wait a little longer then I have to work on
something else.

-Ray Gralak

Mike Shade

There are people on the list with slow speeds, sending a 9mb file to the group is not appreciated.  Send it directly to the person in question and not the group please.

Mike J. Shade

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

Sorry, got tied up with some non-astro stuff. I thought it would take longer, the Log Zipper is very nice, very quick,

I've attached my zipped file. It's almost 9000K, let me know if  it goes through.

Thanks,

Dan

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 8:52 PM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Dan,

Are you having a problem getting the logs zipped? I can only wait a little longer then I have to work on something else.

-Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Mike,

> There are people on the list with slow speeds, sending a 9mb file to the group is not appreciated.  Send it directly

> to the person in question and not the group please.

In case you aren't aware you can limit or exclude attachments in your IO Group account. It's in the Advanced Settings. For your convenience I have attached a screen shot:

-Ray Gralak

Bill Long

There are settings you can change to suit your needs. Set them.

Sorry, got tied up with some non-astro stuff. I thought it would take longer, the Log Zipper is very nice, very quick,

I've attached my zipped file. It's almost 9000K, let me know if  it goes through.

Thanks,

Dan

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 8:52 PM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Dan,

Are you having a problem getting the logs zipped? I can only wait a little longer then I have to work on something else.

-Ray Gralak

Dan Simpson

Thanks for the attachment heads up to both Mike & Ray.

And, Ray, sorry for the log mix-up.

Since the one-day APCC log only reduced the size to about about half of my previous attachment I put a copy in my Dropbox account. Link below:

So the latest test wasn't a complete failure but it was close.

I'm current with APCC (1.8.1.1) and the ASCOM V2 driver (5.30.10)

If I just open and connect APCC and ASCOM V2 neither will work to Unpark the scope.

However, after connecting the keypad - press MENU - the APCC and ASCOM V2 both display Unparked.

I was now able to use the Jog Utility to move the scope. This did not happen when I tried it yesterday

APCC would not Park the scope but the V2 driver did send the mount to the Park position.

However, APCC still displayed Unparked Sidereal and, indeed, the mount continued to track right out of the Park position.

APCC continues to show only the Unpark option which, when pressed, doesn't change anything.

If I use the keypad to Park the scope both APCC and V2 displays change to show the mount as Parked.

AP Jog does not work - must be Unparked.

Clicking either APCC or V2 Unpark commands does not UnPark.

V2 Mount Info briefly shows Unparked but quickly goes back to Parked.

Again, Unparking via keypad - press MENU - both APCC and V2 show Unparked.

I tried Parking with ASCOM V2 the Mount Info Park display freezes at Parking (not Parked) but the mount moves to Park position.

APCC still shows UnParked Sidereal

AP Jog will move the mount even without UnParking.

APCC now shows Park as available. Clicking on APCC Park sends the mount to the park position but the display still shows UnParked Sidereal.

AP V2 Mount Info still shows Parking but Park and Unpark are now available and Park moves the scope back to the park position - still Unparked Sidereal

I'm sorry that this is so long and probably confusing. I'm hoping Ray can pull something out of the logs.

Thanks,
Dan

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:38 AM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Mike,

> There are people on the list with slow speeds, sending a 9mb file to the group is not appreciated.  Send it directly

> to the person in question and not the group please.

In case you aren't aware you can limit or exclude attachments in your IO Group account. It's in the Advanced Settings. For your convenience I have attached a screen shot:

-Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Dan,

Was the mount turned on before you tried connecting? I ask because there were a number of failed requests to get mount information in APCC's log, near the start of the log.

If you can't establish a good connection to the mount that is going to cause problems with commands not working.

I have a 1200GTO with a GTOCP4 with exactly the same firmware and I cannot reproduce anything close to what you are seeing. In fact I am going to create a video showing what I am doing so that maybe you can tell me what you are doing something differently. Otherwise I can't reproduce the behavior you are seeing.

First things first though, can you make sure the mount is powered on and there is a good connection to the mount in APCC? Leave the driver disconnected from APCC. Then try unparking the mount and parking it again.

-Ray Gralak

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9sssriaiuy16o4/ApccZip-Dan_Simpson-2020-04-25-121437.zip?dl=0

So the latest test wasn't a complete failure but it was close.

I'm current with APCC (1.8.1.1) and the ASCOM V2 driver (5.30.10)

If I just open and connect APCC and ASCOM V2 neither will work to Unpark the scope.

However, after connecting the keypad - press MENU - the APCC and ASCOM V2 both display Unparked.

I was now able to use the Jog Utility to move the scope. This did not happen when I tried it yesterday

APCC would not Park the scope but the V2 driver did send the mount to the Park position.

However, APCC still displayed Unparked Sidereal and, indeed, the mount continued to track right out of the Park
position.

APCC continues to show only the Unpark option which, when pressed, doesn't change anything.

If I use the keypad to Park the scope both APCC and V2 displays change to show the mount as Parked.

AP Jog does not work - must be Unparked.

Clicking either APCC or V2 Unpark commands does not UnPark.

V2 Mount Info briefly shows Unparked but quickly goes back to Parked.

Again, Unparking via keypad - press MENU - both APCC and V2 show Unparked.

I tried Parking with ASCOM V2 the Mount Info Park display freezes at Parking (not Parked) but the mount moves
to Park position.

APCC still shows UnParked Sidereal

AP Jog will move the mount even without UnParking.

APCC now shows Park as available. Clicking on APCC Park sends the mount to the park position but the display
still shows UnParked Sidereal.

AP V2 Mount Info still shows Parking but Park and Unpark are now available and Park moves the scope back to
the park position - still Unparked Sidereal

I'm sorry that this is so long and probably confusing. I'm hoping Ray can pull something out of the logs.

Thanks,
Dan

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:38 AM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Mike,

> There are people on the list with slow speeds, sending a 9mb file to the group is not appreciated. Send it
directly

> to the person in question and not the group please.

In case you aren't aware you can limit or exclude attachments in your IO Group account. It's in the
Advanced Settings. For your convenience I have attached a screen shot:

-Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Dan,

Here is a link to the youtube video demonstrating park and unpark.

To provide a baseline try to perform the operations I do in the video *exactly* the way I have done them.

https://youtu.be/shWsRr-gRWE

-Ray Gralak

Thanks for the attachment heads up to both Mike & Ray.

And, Ray, sorry for the log mix-up.

Since the one-day APCC log only reduced the size to about about half of my previous attachment I put a copy in
my Dropbox account. Link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9sssriaiuy16o4/ApccZip-Dan_Simpson-2020-04-25-121437.zip?dl=0

So the latest test wasn't a complete failure but it was close.

I'm current with APCC (1.8.1.1) and the ASCOM V2 driver (5.30.10)

If I just open and connect APCC and ASCOM V2 neither will work to Unpark the scope.

However, after connecting the keypad - press MENU - the APCC and ASCOM V2 both display Unparked.

I was now able to use the Jog Utility to move the scope. This did not happen when I tried it yesterday

APCC would not Park the scope but the V2 driver did send the mount to the Park position.

However, APCC still displayed Unparked Sidereal and, indeed, the mount continued to track right out of the Park
position.

APCC continues to show only the Unpark option which, when pressed, doesn't change anything.

If I use the keypad to Park the scope both APCC and V2 displays change to show the mount as Parked.

AP Jog does not work - must be Unparked.

Clicking either APCC or V2 Unpark commands does not UnPark.

V2 Mount Info briefly shows Unparked but quickly goes back to Parked.

Again, Unparking via keypad - press MENU - both APCC and V2 show Unparked.

I tried Parking with ASCOM V2 the Mount Info Park display freezes at Parking (not Parked) but the mount moves
to Park position.

APCC still shows UnParked Sidereal

AP Jog will move the mount even without UnParking.

APCC now shows Park as available. Clicking on APCC Park sends the mount to the park position but the display
still shows UnParked Sidereal.

AP V2 Mount Info still shows Parking but Park and Unpark are now available and Park moves the scope back to
the park position - still Unparked Sidereal

I'm sorry that this is so long and probably confusing. I'm hoping Ray can pull something out of the logs.

Thanks,
Dan

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:38 AM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Mike,

> There are people on the list with slow speeds, sending a 9mb file to the group is not appreciated. Send it
directly

> to the person in question and not the group please.

In case you aren't aware you can limit or exclude attachments in your IO Group account. It's in the
Advanced Settings. For your convenience I have attached a screen shot:

-Ray Gralak

nice tutorial and explanation Ray, thanks

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Dan Simpson

Thanks Ray, I'll take a look later this evening.

I will say I did forget to check that there was power to the mount when I first started up today. The runaway at the end of my last session had caused me to hit the power switch on the 12vdc power supply not my Digital Logger switch. When I switched on the DL this morning it faithfully switched on but the power supply switch was still off. Took me a bit to figure it out.

Thanks,
Dan