From: Rick Darden <rick@...>
To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Apr 23, 2020 7:20 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] AP1100 CP4 pier crash

Hi All,

It happened while I was sleeping and it was tracking on its target. I think it crashed maybe 5-10 min before I intervened. Did I do any damage? It scope is at a remote observatory 2100 miles away and can't get there to investigate.

Benoit Schillings

it is interesting, I had the issue that leaving theSky software
sometimes get's the mount to start tracking again, which recently
cause the mount to go for a few days... no damages, but resyncing the
mount causes it to go 360 around the RA axis the number of days I had
left the mount going. Looks like maybe the position of the mount in RA
does not cycle in a modulo 360 manner ?

-- benoit

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 5:49 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via
groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Did I do any damage?

Probably not. Especially if your clutches were not super tight.

I left my Mach2 running all night last night, forgot to turn off power. This morning the scope was up against the pier. Nothing damaged except my self esteem. ;^(

It happened while I was sleeping and it was tracking on its target. I think it crashed maybe 5-10 min before I intervened. Did I do any damage? It scope is at a remote observatory 2100 miles away and can't get there to investigate.

Rick Darden

Good to hear. But my clutches are snug tight with a key. I am getting in tonight to see what the fall out is if any.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Probably not. Especially if your clutches were not super tight.

I left my Mach2 running all night last night, forgot to turn off power. This morning the scope was up against the pier. Nothing damaged except my self esteem. ;^(

It happened while I was sleeping and it was tracking on its target. I think it crashed maybe 5-10 min before I intervened. Did I do any damage? It scope is at a remote observatory 2100 miles away and can't get there to investigate.

Charles Thompson

Won't the motor trip a fault and stop if it hits with the clutch tight?  I think I remember that happening to me once when my meridian flip time was off a little bit.

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

Good to hear. But my clutches are snug tight with a key. I am getting in tonight to see what the fall out is if any.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Probably not. Especially if your clutches were not super tight.

I left my Mach2 running all night last night, forgot to turn off power. This morning the scope was up against the pier. Nothing damaged except my self esteem. ;^(

It happened while I was sleeping and it was tracking on its target. I think it crashed maybe 5-10 min before I intervened. Did I do any damage? It scope is at a remote observatory 2100 miles away and can't get there to investigate.

Lawrence Lopez

That's probably just unwinding the cables.

I think you could take a series of pictures of polaris for several days at the North Pole.

groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

> Did I do any damage?
>
> Probably not. Especially if your clutches were not super tight.
>
> I left my Mach2 running all night last night, forgot to turn off power. This morning the scope was up against the pier. Nothing damaged except my self esteem. ;^(
>
> Rolando

Roland Christen

In that case the motor probably stalled and the controller would then cut power.

Good to hear. But my clutches are snug tight with a key. I am getting in tonight to see what the fall out is if any.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Probably not. Especially if your clutches were not super tight.

I left my Mach2 running all night last night, forgot to turn off power. This morning the scope was up against the pier. Nothing damaged except my self esteem. ;^(

It happened while I was sleeping and it was tracking on its target. I think it crashed maybe 5-10 min before I intervened. Did I do any damage? It scope is at a remote observatory 2100 miles away and can't get there to investigate.

Roland Christen

Won't the motor trip a fault and stop if it hits with the clutch tight?
Yes.

Good to hear. But my clutches are snug tight with a key. I am getting in tonight to see what the fall out is if any.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Probably not. Especially if your clutches were not super tight.

I left my Mach2 running all night last night, forgot to turn off power. This morning the scope was up against the pier. Nothing damaged except my self esteem. ;^(

It happened while I was sleeping and it was tracking on its target. I think it crashed maybe 5-10 min before I intervened. Did I do any damage? It scope is at a remote observatory 2100 miles away and can't get there to investigate.

Bill Long

I know someone that had an 1100 crash into a step ladder during a slew. Motors are fine, step ladder is fine as well.