AP 1600 minimum move/MAXIM?

Mike Shade

Have a first generation 1600GTO/Planewave CDK 17/SBIG STL6303E camera, permanent observatory setup.  Guiding with the internal guider on the camera, ST237 chip.  Main imaging scale .63"/pixel unbinned, guider binned 3X3, guiding at 1X sidereal.

Curious as to what folks have found to be a useful minimum move setting in Maxim for guiding (I'm still using V5.18) with a 1600?

Using ASCOM to guide, not the guider relays.  ACP runs the whole show.

Looking for what folks have found to be a starting point.  Seeing here tends to run about 2", sometimes a bit better, sometimes a bit worse.

Thanks...

Mike J. Shade

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

With my 17" astrograph and 1600 mount I have used .02sec mostly. Max move is .5 sec.

[...]

OK, thanks...will try that and see how it goes.

[...]

One additional question...I am using Maxim 5.18 to guide the 1600GTO through the CDK 17.  As I understand it, Maxim has built in declination compensation (I am also using an Optec Gemini rotating focuser).  I also use ACP to run everything.  ACP also has guiding declination.  Curious if the declination compensation in ACP is not needed and might be causing some conflict with Maxim with RA guiding.  Reason is that I get ever so slightly out of round stars in the E/W direction, just a few pixels but enough to notice (.63"/pixel).  Always in the E/W direction.  I suspect a guiding issue as this system will do a 5 minute unguided image near the zenith with round stars so I am not suspecting polar alignment, PEC curve issues, gear mesh.

I did bump the minimum move in Maxim from .01" to .02", might need to go a light bit more perhaps.

[...]

Yes, remove the Dec compensation. In fact i would remove it in both. The further you go north the more overcompensated Ra guiding becomes.

[...]

Eric Dreher <ericpdreher@...>

On that subject, Roland would you also disable Dec Compensation for guiding in PHD2 for a Mach1GTO as well?  To be clear, I am not referring to backlash compensation which I don't use.

Thank you.

Eric

Roland Christen

I never found Dec compensation to help in guiding. As the scope points further north the RA guide command is increased to compensate for the cosine of the Dec angle. But it is really not a good idea. Theoretically if you get to the pole, the cosine of the angle is zero and the amount of RA compensation is infinite. At that point the amount of motion sent to the mount would be infinite (error/0 = infinite). Even at 60 degrees Dec the error sent to the mount in Ra will be twice what was measured by the guide software. The errors produced by RA as you get further north toward the pole actually decrease anyway so there is no need to boost the response to the mount via the cosine multiplier.

On that subject, Roland would you also disable Dec Compensation for guiding in PHD2 for a Mach1GTO as well?  To be clear, I am not referring to backlash compensation which I don't use.

Thank you.

Eric

Eric Dreher <ericpdreher@...>

Thank you, Roland.  I will be disabling DEC Comp this evening.

Eric