New user of an AP1100 #APCC

Steve C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D.

Hey Guys,

I'm a new owner of a fabulous AP1100 mount that I know is going to be awesome, but some troubles with getting started. First, I'm not new to this game, been an amateur astronomer for 40 years, climbed the upgrade ladder in hardware and software to this current setup with the 1100 mount, 12" LX850, APCC software as well as using Cartes Du Ciel.

I'm just getting everything set up and working and I know this is probably due to the loose nut behind the wheel not comprehending how this fancy stuff works, but.... My only real problem, at this moment is about doing a recal on a star after unparking and initialization. I think I've got everything okay in APCC for the initialization and unparking, the scope goes almost directly to Arcturus, but it's not quite even in the field of view of the 80mm piggybacked on the LX850 (hence my assuming polar alignment issues). Therefore I have to then use APCC to move the scope to both find and center Arcturus and then when I try a recal so I can eventually then go somewhere else, it tells me I can't do that because I moved the scope too far. I strongly suspect IF and WHEN I get it polar aligned it won't be so far off and this might work and maybe I am doing things properly, but...... I tried a sync once which seemed to do nothing but as soon as I tried to go somewhere else the scope flew off to "who knows where" and was totally lost in space. After repositioning the scope with loose clutches and sending the scope to Park 3, then aligning the marks and tightening the clutches; All was well with the Universe again!

I guess I don't understand the recal and sync functions, even though I have read and re-read the documentation, clicked the question mark in the software and read that info, etc. perhaps I am too thick between the ears to get it; at  least yet.

Thanks for listening and hopefully someone can shed a little light on my concerns and dim brain right now.

Steve

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi,

Are you using a handpad?

Grüsse

Konstantin

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171/1983476

Am 21.04.2020 um 22:25 schrieb Steve C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D. <smitchell@...>:

[...]

Roland Christen

Best to talk to George at AP and have him explain how to set up your APCC software. You can disable the setting in APCC that prevents recal on an object that is too far away. It is a safety feature to prevent errant recals.

The main thing that prevents finding objects in the field of view, when you first start a system up, are poor polar alignment and error in your local time. If your computer time is off by 5 minutes your pointing will be way off.

George can help you go thru the various settings to get you started.

[...]

Hey Konstantin,
No, I don't have a handpad, keyboard only.

Steve C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D.

Hey Rolando,
That sounds like exactly what I think the problem is. I have not even attempted to do a polar alignment on the mount yet. Just got everything all up and running and was just trying to play with it. I strongly suspect a good polar alignment will probably solve my problem, it probably isn't really that far off. Being able to disable that particular setting could be nice as long as you know what you're doing. The computer time I believe is right, but I'll double check that this evening when I get a chance.
I have had some conversation with George about some other topics and he was quite helpful with that, I'm sure he can help get this particular loose nut tightened up on this mount! 8>)
Steve

Worsel

Steve

I use Cartes du Ciel (CdC) with my 1100 successfully.  Here are some tips, once George gets you up and running smoothly.

Once all the connections are made (ASCOM driver, COM ports, etc), I rarely use APCC for run of the mill operations.  I do start it all the time, because it does provide easy access to useful functions, e.g. Meridian Delay, link to PEMPRO, APPM, Horizons.  In fact, I recall, early on, running the mount with CdC and the ASCOM driver alone with the proper settings in the driver, but perhaps A-P can correct me.  Since you have APCC, the following takes that into account.  My text below takes longer to read than to execute completely!

This assumes your imaging camera and software are already on and showing data.

Power up 1100
Startup APCC and wait for it to initialize fully.
Startup CdC. Ensure that it has the correct location and time for your setup.
In CdC, click the 'Connect Telescope' mini-icon.  (Looks like a dome observatory with a red dot).  This will open the ASCOM Telescope Interface dialog box.
Make sure you have configured the Driver Selection to AstroPhysicsV2.telescope (the AP ASCOM V2 driver)
Click Connect.  It should go green.  If you had APCC setup to AutoConnect on startup, then Park and Tracking should also go green.  If not, click Unpark.
Select an object in CdC and slew to it, using the CdC slew icon.  This typically puts the object within less than a few arcminutes of the center.  This occurs even if the 1100 has not been running for days.
Use the direction arrows in the ASCOM Telescope Interface dialog box to center the object.
Click Sync in CdC.

Slew to other objects using CdC
Park using CdC (also Unpark, if Parked)
Disconnect in CdC

The only time I have had issues is when Windows decides arbitrarily that it wants to reset my COM ports.

I connect PHD2, SGP, other imaging software, and plate solver, without conflict.

Bryan

Steve C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D.

Hey Brian,

That all sounds good. I’ve been starting APCC and using it for all the setting, parking, unparking, etc. and then starting CDC for object selection and slewing to, so far. I haven’t gotten past all that yet, but I’m learning. There is no doubt that a good polar alignment with PEMPro will polish off the pointing. Your suggestions sound similar to what I plan on doing. Coming from a Celestron CGE Pro mount to the AP1100 is like night and day! I can’t believe the better choices and solutions AP has; shoulda done this years ago! The thru the mount cabling option so far seems fantastic to me, no more cable snags or dragging!

I’m excited about the new journey, I love a good Quest. 8>)

Steve

Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri

Steve -
Can’t agree more. I recently acquired a AP1100 to replace my CGEM. What a difference!!!