CP4 Sharing?

Bill Long

Quick question -- I have an 1100 with AE and a CP4 and a Mach 1 with CP3-V2 Chip. If I wanted to, would I be able to share the CP4 between the two mounts? Assuming that any curve stored in the CP4 would be for use with the Mach 1, and the 1100 would of course just use the encoders.

-Bill

George

Bill,

No, control boxes cannot be swapped without losing the PE curve.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Long
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:39 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] CP4 Sharing?

Quick question -- I have an 1100 with AE and a CP4 and a Mach 1 with CP3-V2 Chip. If I wanted to, would I be able to share the CP4 between the two mounts? Assuming that any curve stored in the CP4 would be for use with the Mach 1, and the 1100 would of course just use the encoders.

-Bill

Bill Long

I could just re-upload the curve after a swap, right?

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of George <george@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 9:52 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] CP4 Sharing?

Bill,

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Long

-Bill

George

No, the gear angles have changed.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:52 AM

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of George <george@...>

Bill,

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

-Bill

Bill Long

Ahh okay. Thanks for the quick response!

Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 9:56 AM

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Bill,

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

-Bill

George

Pretty fast for an old guy!!!   <G>

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:56 AM

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Bill,

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

-Bill

Bill Long

A-P is always lightning quick. You guys are the best.

Now, if you have a demo, scratch and dent, or otherwise used CP4 sitting around somewhere at AP -- I would love to know. 😉 

Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 9:59 AM

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Bill,

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

-Bill

Roland Christen

No, not that easy. You would have to re-do it with PEMPro if you run it with another mount in between.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue, Apr 21, 2020 11:52 am

Bill,

Regards,

George

George Whitney
Astro-Physics, Inc.

-Bill

George

Bill,

We try!

Alas, no scratch and dent pile…sorry!

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 12:04 PM

A-P is always lightning quick. You guys are the best.

Now, if you have a demo, scratch and dent, or otherwise used CP4 sitting around somewhere at AP -- I would love to know. 😉 

Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 9:59 AM

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Bill,

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

-Bill

Robert Berta

Clarification needed....I have a 900 with CP3 and 1100  with CP4 mounts. I use the same hand controller with both (waiting for the new features before getting a second controller dedicated for the 1100 that can take advantage of those features).  I have a PE curve for each mount that I assume is stored in the control box....not the controller. So I assume if PE is turned on in the controller, it will use the correct one in each control box even though the same hand controller is swapped between them.  I know that once the new features are loaded in the hand controller it won't work with the old CP3 control box...only the CP4.

Am I correct in my assumptions?

George

Robert,

Yes, the PE is stored in the control box, but it corresponds with the gear angles of the motors.    When you switch mounts you are switching to totally different gear angles.   Going back to the original mount, the gear angles will have changed slightly, even if the motors do not move.   You are not talking about lining up the lug nuts of a car; rather, you are talking about tiny fractions of an arc second.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Berta
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 4:00 PM

Clarification needed....I have a 900 with CP3 and 1100  with CP4 mounts. I use the same hand controller with both (waiting for the new features before getting a second controller dedicated for the 1100 that can take advantage of those features).  I have a PE curve for each mount that I assume is stored in the control box....not the controller. So I assume if PE is turned on in the controller, it will use the correct one in each control box even though the same hand controller is swapped between them.  I know that once the new features are loaded in the hand controller it won't work with the old CP3 control box...only the CP4.

Am I correct in my assumptions?

Robert Berta

Thanks George....not certain I follow this..... if the CP3 controller is dedicated to the 900 mount and the CP4 controller dedicated only ot the 1100, I would think as long as you have a PE correction  created on each mount/controller and ONLY the hand controller is swapped between each setup, I wouldn't think it would make any difference as long as the PE is turned on in the hand controller....or is there some other information stored about each mount in the hand controller? 

George

Robert,

Yes, the hand controller can be swapped between mounts without a problem.   The control boxes cannot.

Did I misunderstand your question?   I lost track.   <G>

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Berta
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 1:51 PM

Thanks George....not certain I follow this..... if the CP3 controller is dedicated to the 900 mount and the CP4 controller dedicated only ot the 1100, I would think as long as you have a PE correction  created on each mount/controller and ONLY the hand controller is swapped between each setup, I wouldn't think it would make any difference as long as the PE is turned on in the hand controller....or is there some other information stored about each mount in the hand controller? 

Roland Christen

You can always swap keypads (hand controllers). Nothing will be upset. Swapping keypads is like swapping planetarium programs.

What you cannot do is swap CP controllers. Those are dedicated to each mount and they have the proper settings for controlling each mount's servo motors. These settings are different and unique to each mount.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Apr 22, 2020 1:50 pm

Dominique Durand

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 10:41 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
You can always swap keypads (hand controllers). Nothing will be upset. Swapping keypads is like swapping planetarium programs.

What you cannot do is swap CP controllers. Those are dedicated to each mount and they have the proper settings for controlling each mount's servo motors. These settings are different and unique to each mount.

Rolando

Hi Rolando,

That leaves me in doubt. On another post I thought I understood that on my Mach1 from 2011 I could replace my CP3 controller with a CP4 and either reload on the EP curve already redone with PEMPro and store on the PC, or repeat the EP measurement again with PEMPro . But I saw on the manuals some mechanical differences between the versions Mach1 / CP3 of 2010-2011 and the Mach1 / CP4 of 2014. Do you configure the CP4 controllers according to the mounts to be piloted and therefore it is enough for you provide the serial number of the frame to be fitted when ordering?

Regards
Dominique

George

Dominique,

“Swap” implies that you want to go back and forth repeatedly.   That you cannot do without losing the PE each time.

If you want to make a onetime move of the CP4 to the other mount, you can certainly do that.   However, you will need to make a new PE once you’ve changed mounts.   After that, you’ll be fine…unless you change the CP4 back.  

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dominique Durand via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2020 2:31 AM

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 10:41 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:

Rolando

Hi Rolando,

That leaves me in doubt. On another post I thought I understood that on my Mach1 from 2011 I could replace my CP3 controller with a CP4 and either reload on the EP curve already redone with PEMPro and store on the PC, or repeat the EP measurement again with PEMPro . But I saw on the manuals some mechanical differences between the versions Mach1 / CP3 of 2010-2011 and the Mach1 / CP4 of 2014. Do you configure the CP4 controllers according to the mounts to be piloted and therefore it is enough for you provide the serial number of the frame to be fitted when ordering?

Regards
Dominique

Dominique Durand

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 04:02 PM, George wrote:

Dominique,

“Swap” implies that you want to go back and forth repeatedly.   That you cannot do without losing the PE each time.

If you want to make a onetime move of the CP4 to the other mount, you can certainly do that.   However, you will need to make a new PE once you’ve changed mounts.   After that, you’ll be fine…unless you change the CP4 back. 

Regards,

George

Hi George,

To be more precise, I will have my Mach2 / CP5 in my observatory which will not move and my Mach1 for mobile use. On the mach1 I want to replace the CP3 with a CP4 and upgrade the keyboard to benefit from the new correction routines and ultimately have a Mach1 / CP4.

Regards

Dominique

George

Dominique,

In that case, you will be in excellent shape.   It is a good plan.   You should have a lot of fun.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dominique Durand via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2020 10:11 AM

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 04:02 PM, George wrote:

Dominique,

Regards,

George

Hi George,

To be more precise, I will have my Mach2 / CP5 in my observatory which will not move and my Mach1 for mobile use. On the mach1 I want to replace the CP3 with a CP4 and upgrade the keyboard to benefit from the new correction routines and ultimately have a Mach1 / CP4.

Regards

Dominique

Dominique Durand

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 05:15 PM, George wrote:

Dominique,

In that case, you will be in excellent shape.   It is a good plan.   You should have a lot of fun.

Regards,

George

Thanks George,

This is the good plan that I am considering, but while waiting for this passage from CP3 to CP4 for the Mach1 I am bored of still not being able to try my Mach2 yet

Regards.

Dominique