RAPAS on Mach2

Dominique Durand

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 03:48 AM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
I was talking about the startup procedure, which is very simple as I outlined. No need to do a lot of fancy stuff to get the mount started.

Rolando
hi,
Of course I confirm. With my mach1 outside my home, with park3 at the end of the session, the installation is very fast. Mach1 installed on Eagle tripod, level and compass. When I switch on the frame, it leaves the park3 automatically. All you have to do is point an object. I use  button Azimuth and level with tripod to center and that's it.

Dominique

Roland Christen

I was talking about the startup procedure, which is very simple as I outlined. No need to do a lot of fancy stuff to get the mount started.

From: Terri Zittritsch <theresamarie11@...>
To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Apr 21, 2020 5:49 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] RAPAS on Mach2

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 05:34 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
We tried to make this mount, and all our mounts, as easy to operate as possible. Problem is that people go thru all kinds of steps that are simply not necessary. Parking is nice for certain operations, but it is not necessary.
Roland, I'm just trying to help others avoid the pitfalls I've encountered.    If there is a specific way to do things, that is documented somewhere,  which I've overlooked, please point me in the right direction as I'm always happy to learn and admit my own mistakes.

Dean Jacobsen

Edited

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 02:16 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
Remove the RAPAS with its dovetail by sliding it back out and put is snuggly away into its box.
Is it possible to re-design the RAPM2 to set the RAPAS an inch or so further back so that the Mach2 doesn't impact the north end of the RAPAS?  That way someone like me who might forget to pull the RAPAS off doesn't accidentally damage the RAPAS?

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Terri Zittritsch

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 05:34 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
We tried to make this mount, and all our mounts, as easy to operate as possible. Problem is that people go thru all kinds of steps that are simply not necessary. Parking is nice for certain operations, but it is not necessary.
Roland, I'm just trying to help others avoid the pitfalls I've encountered.    If there is a specific way to do things, that is documented somewhere,  which I've overlooked, please point me in the right direction as I'm always happy to learn and admit my own mistakes.

There is no need to park any of our mounts. You can just yank the power cord out of the wall, then next time plug it back in. The mount doesn't care, and that includes the Mach1, mach2, 1100, 1600, 900, 1200 etc.

Parking simply gives you a reference in case you tear it down and want to build it up again next time close to what you had before and don't want to go thru a lengthy setup routine. That way you can use a level to set one of the park positions where you last left it and simply resume from present position.

The Mach2 never needs to be told where it is even if you don't put it back the way you had it before. Simply resume tracking . My workflow is just this: I open SkyX and press "Connect Telescope". That's it. Done! The cursor on SkyX shows where the scope is pointed. I right click on an object that I want to slew to and it moves there.

When I'm done, I leave the scope wherever I feel like it and simply press "Disconnect Telescope" in SkyX. Then turn off power.

You can do the above with any of our mounts if you don't loosen the clutches. On the Mach2 you can loosen the clutches and move the axes without causing any kind of issue for the next setup. It doesn't matter where the scope is pointing when you click on "Connect Telescope", the cursor on SkyX will show you exactly where the scope is pointed, even if it's pointed to China (down to the ground).