Com ports #APCC

Phillip Klein

Hello,

Recently, I purchased Astromi's MBoxV2. The device displays temp, pressure, humidity, dew point, latitude and longtitude. My equipment is AP Mach1 GTO4 mount running on APCCPro.
My problem is the new device is using the same com Port(3) that I use for my Optec FocusLynx so I cannot use both devices at the same time. ComPort(4) is used by the QSI532ws camera.
I am running Windows10 on a laptop that has 3 usb connections.
I would appreciate hearing if anyone has tackled a similar problem.

Thank you and wishing you clear skies!!

Phillip

Dale Ghent

This is a bit impossible. Windows allocates COM ports on per-device basis.

How are you ascertaining that both are on the same COM port?

On Apr 7, 2020, at 2:28 AM, klein.phillip@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

Recently, I purchased Astromi's MBoxV2. The device displays temp, pressure, humidity, dew point, latitude and longtitude. My equipment is AP Mach1 GTO4 mount running on APCCPro.
My problem is the new device is using the same com Port(3) that I use for my Optec FocusLynx so I cannot use both devices at the same time. ComPort(4) is used by the QSI532ws camera.
I am running Windows10 on a laptop that has 3 usb connections.
I would appreciate hearing if anyone has tackled a similar problem.

Thank you and wishing you clear skies!!

Phillip

Mike Dodd

On 4/7/2020 2:28 AM, klein.phillip@gmail.com wrote:
Hello,

Recently, I purchased Astromi's MBoxV2. The device displays temp,
pressure, humidity, dew point, latitude and longtitude. My equipment is
AP Mach1 GTO4 mount running on APCCPro.
My problem is the new device is using the same com Port(3) that I use
for my Optec FocusLynx so I cannot use both devices at the same time.
ComPort(4) is used by the QSI532ws camera.
I am running Windows10 on a laptop that has 3 usb connections.
I would appreciate hearing if anyone has tackled a similar problem.
It sounds to me like you need to go into each program that uses these devices, and choose a COM port that's actually been allocated to each one.

Windows assigns port numbers, but in your software you must choose a port to match the one assigned. If the new device works with COM-3, go into FocusLynx and choose a different port number. Keep trying until the software connects to your focuser. Then write down the working port numbers. :-)

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

Charles Thompson

I've had this problem and went into the devices software and assigned it a higher comm port that was not in use. Then in windows go to device manager and advance options on that comm port and assign it to the matching port you used in the device software. It's been a long time but I think that's how I fixed it.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

Recently, I purchased Astromi's MBoxV2. The device displays temp, pressure, humidity, dew point, latitude and longtitude. My equipment is AP Mach1 GTO4 mount running on APCCPro.
My problem is the new device is using the same com Port(3) that I use for my Optec FocusLynx so I cannot use both devices at the same time. ComPort(4) is used by the QSI532ws camera.
I am running Windows10 on a laptop that has 3 usb connections.
I would appreciate hearing if anyone has tackled a similar problem.

Thank you and wishing you clear skies!!

Phillip

Dale Ghent

A unique COM port is assigned by Windows automatically. You pin devices to particular COM ports if you want their device ID to stay on it and not move around. One does not need to manually allocate them under normal circumstances.

On Apr 7, 2020, at 9:55 AM, Charles Thompson via groups.io <cthomp97=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

With device management open I see comport(4)QSI
comport(3)-focuser
After connecting MBoxV2 a second comport(3) appears. When that happens neither the focuser or the Box connects.
Thank you

On Apr 7, 2020, at 6:44 AM, Dale Ghent <daleg@elemental.org> wrote:

This is a bit impossible. Windows allocates COM ports on per-device basis.

How are you ascertaining that both are on the same COM port?

On Apr 7, 2020, at 2:28 AM, klein.phillip@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

Recently, I purchased Astromi's MBoxV2. The device displays temp, pressure, humidity, dew point, latitude and longtitude. My equipment is AP Mach1 GTO4 mount running on APCCPro.
My problem is the new device is using the same com Port(3) that I use for my Optec FocusLynx so I cannot use both devices at the same time. ComPort(4) is used by the QSI532ws camera.
I am running Windows10 on a laptop that has 3 usb connections.
I would appreciate hearing if anyone has tackled a similar problem.

Thank you and wishing you clear skies!!

Phillip

Dale Ghent

It sounds like you really ought to contact Astromi for support on this then.

On Apr 7, 2020, at 12:05 PM, Phillip Klein <klein.phillip@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Thank you,
I did try selecting but the only choices were the ports already associated with the camera and focuser. There were no other choices.
I even tried auto select but that failed to connect when the other equipment was already attached.
Thank you

On Apr 7, 2020, at 6:55 AM, Charles Thompson via groups.io <cthomp97@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you and I will do as you suggest.

On 4/7/2020 12:09 PM, Phillip Klein wrote:
I did try selecting but the only choices were the ports already
associated with the camera and focuser. There were no other choices.
How did your software know to make those associations?

Somewhere, sometime, SOMEONE had to tell the software what ports to use. Does your software have a Detect button for the camera or focuser?

Is here a configuration file you can edit in Notepad to change the ports? Search your hard drive for files with a name ending in ".ini" or ".cfg" and see if anything looks promising.

Or look in your software for an option to save the configuration, and check the path it offers.

--- Mike

Phillip Klein

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response and with the advice from Steven in New Zealand the problem has been fixed.
In device manager I right clicked on the Comport(3), and selected properties and was able to select another ComPort. from the dropdown list for the device or Box.
After opening the application I updated the firmware and noticed it identified the newly assigned ComPort. Now all the devices function simultaneously.
Thank you to everyone that provided suggestions.
Clear skies to all!!!