Mach1GTO case recommendations?

Derek K.

Dear AP mount owners,

I have a Mach1 from the final production run and it’s been a pleasure to use in my backyard.
When transporting it in my sedan I’ve resorted to the original AP shipment box&foam plus towels to cushion the package. This worked ok (even on the long and winding road to a Lick observatory outreach event) but I’d like your thoughts on better options.

Ideally the case would also accommodate 14 and 9 point counterweights (one each), cables, GTOCP4, CBAPT, standard counterweight shaft and be resilient yet lightweight enough that I could use it for airline transport someday. Willing to consider other options if there isn’t a good compromise.
I saw an advert for a “Doro” waterproof case with foam shaped to fit the contours of the mount. Seemed nice but I was too late to snag it.

Regards and hope all are doing well in these troubled times,
Derek

Bruce Donzanti

Hi Derek

I have a Pelican case which is waterproof and very sturdy for travel.  I know there are other brands similar to pelican that are cheaper but mine works very well for my Mach 1.

Bruce

David Albers <humealbers@...>

Hi Derek,

I also happen to have one of the Mach1's from the final production.  I went with this Pelican case https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0764MM49M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used a combination of the original shipping foam along with Kaizen foam I picked up from a local woodworker shop.  However, it's available from Pelican directly as a custom fit for the case mentioned above. https://www.thecasestore.com/shop/foam/pelican/kaizen-foam/kaizen-1637-piece-foam-set

I use a separate case for my counterweights which is much less expensive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FT4ZQU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I suppose you could use one of the larger Pelican cases to accommodate everything,

Another less expensive option is the Harbor Freight cases. https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=apache%20case  I use a couple of these for my cameras and other accessories.

Hope that helps...
Dave

Larry Phillips

Derek, I have a Pelican model 1620 that my Mach1 fits in nicely.  While I do not put the counterweights in it, they may fit.

Larry

Derek K.

Bruce, Larry, David—thanks very much for the suggestions.

I’ve also located a similar discussion in the archives

Thanks again,
Derek

On Saturday, March 28, 2020, 11:07, Larry Phillips <llp41astro@...> wrote:

Derek, I have a Pelican model 1620 that my Mach1 fits in nicely.  While I do not put the counterweights in it, they may fit.

Larry

Woody Schlom

Derek,

Note that if you put too much in one case, you might not be able to lift it into a vehicle!  I have my Mach1 split between two Pelican cases – and I can now barely lift the larger one.  And that’s without CW’s.  I keep the CW’s in their own case.  So I actually have three cases for my Mach1.

My big Pelican case has wheels and a handle.  Rolling it on a smooth firm surface is fine.  But it doesn’t roll on dirt or grass or gravel.  And it doesn’t like to roll on thick carpet.  And when it comes to lifting into my truck – ugh!  Strained back time.

That said, there’s a club member who has an AP-1100 he keeps in three hard airline cases – and somehow he schlepps them to public outreach events.

Woody

Bruce, Larry, David—thanks very much for the suggestions.

I’ve also located a similar discussion in the archives

pelican cases for mach1GOT - size and foan?

pelican cases for mach1GOT - size and foan?

and am evaluating my options (paradox of choice!)

Thanks again,

Derek

On Saturday, March 28, 2020, 11:07, Larry Phillips <llp41astro@...> wrote:

Derek, I have a Pelican model 1620 that my Mach1 fits in nicely.  While I do not put the counterweights in it, they may fit.

Larry

Joe Zeglinski

I agree, Woody.

    The Pelican 1620 case weighs 24.6 lbs – EMPTY !!!

Joe Z.

Glenn

Derek,

I use a Pelican Storm iM2875 case for my Mach1. I had custom foam made by mycasebuilder.com

Kind regards,

Glenn

Glenn

Hi Derek,

I use a Pelican Storm iM2875 case for my Mach1. I had custom foam made by mycasebuilder.com. The case has wheels and a handle for easy transport over smooth ground. It is heavy, though, so I would recommend keeping your counterweights in a separate case.

https://ap-gto.groups.io/g/main/photo/243814/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Kind regards,

Glenn

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

Joe - Was it you who posted the message on the forum showing how you used the stacking Rigid cases for your 1100 mount. Since the Rigid cases have bigger wheels they will probably roll a little bit easier.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

From:        "Joe Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...>
To:        <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        03/28/2020 04:37 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

I agree, Woody.

    The Pelican 1620 case weighs 24.6 lbs – EMPTY !!!

Joe Z.

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Michael,

    No, it wasn’t my post – don’t have one of the RIGID series cases.
Check the forum Files/Photos – that other Joe may have posted his.

Joe Z.

From:        "Joe Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...>
To:        <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        03/28/2020 04:37 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

I agree, Woody.

    The Pelican 1620 case weighs 24.6 lbs – EMPTY !!!

Joe Z.

Harley Davidson

Was that my video? I stacked the Rigid 22" Tool Box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wd7IQtZSQw&t=22s&pbjreload=10

tony

From:        "Joe Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...>
To:        <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        03/28/2020 04:37 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

I agree, Woody.

    The Pelican 1620 case weighs 24.6 lbs – EMPTY !!!

Joe Z.

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

Thanks Tony. My bad. Somehow I had it in my mind that "Harley Davidson" and Joe Z were the same person.

Anyway, I was impressed enough with your concept to use the Rigid tool boxes for your 1100 mount that I bought a set for myself. The boxes for the mount work great. I had planned to use the skinny box that goes on the top of the stack for my counterweights, but I no longer have the skill set to lift that much weight without causing some serious back issues. I will have to distribute the counterweights throughout all three boxes.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Charles Thompson

"Harley Davidson", I really appreciate all your videos on YouTube. It helped me a lot with my decision to get a Mach1 and 1100GTO. Also, the Rigid boxes and other things. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

Thanks Tony. My bad. Somehow I had it in my mind that "Harley Davidson" and Joe Z were the same person.

Anyway, I was impressed enough with your concept to use the Rigid tool boxes for your 1100 mount that I bought a set for myself. The boxes for the mount work great. I had planned to use the skinny box that goes on the top of the stack for my counterweights, but I no longer have the skill set to lift that much weight without causing some serious back issues. I will have to distribute the counterweights throughout all three boxes.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Joe Zeglinski

Thanks Michael

    I’ll definitely take that as a compliment. Tony’s video’s and investigative expertise in problem solving have helped a lot of us.

[...]

Thank you Michael. Glad it helped. I love the Rigid tool boxes and use them for lots of things. Well built and at a great price too.

tony

On 3/31/2020 8:00 AM, Michael Hambrick via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Thanks, so glad I was of some help to you. YouTube is a great place to learn so many things on every subject on Earth.

tony

On 3/31/2020 11:25 AM, Charles Thompson via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Joe Z

Many thanks for the compliment! I see you on this forum giving great information on many issues. We all help each other. Clear skies!

tony

On 3/31/2020 11:52 AM, Joe Zeglinski wrote:
[...]

Robert Berta

The Pelican and similar cases may work but they are expensive.  I have always used large tool boxes which are available from Home Depot, Lowes, and similar. I have one for my 1100 and another for my 900 mounts and another for my Ioptron Mini Tower Pro and 8" SCT for public outreach. All of the major tool manufacturers make nice ones for not much money and since they are designed for hard field tool use they are very sturdy. The larger ones have wheels on one end which is great for moving them around. I would warn about trying to put too much stuff in one case....keep track of how much weight you are accumulating in each case or you may have a problem lifting it ;-) A friend has Scope Guard cases for his 900 mount (now out of business) that made really heavy duty cases that were very nice BUT with the gear inside they were really heavy and they didn't have wheels so had to use a dolly. For padding you can use the stock foam that the mounts came in trimmed as appropriate or get new high density foam from the many foam shops around.

Worsel

Tony

A well done video.  Thanks!

Bryan