APPM Model Creation Problem

Wayne Hixson

Hi Ray, trying to create a simple model with my Horizon and Meridian limits turned on. It generates a set of points but fails every solve. When I manually try a solve in APPM (using Pinpoint) I get this message:

Plate Solve failed!

The plate's exposure start time is required for catalog proper motion calculation. Check the attached image.

What do I need to do?

Wayne

Ray Gralak

Wayne,

Assuming you have set up image scale accurately in APPM have you tried setting up All Sky plate solving as a backup for when the normal plate solve fails? It's an option in APPM's plate solve tab. This helps if the problem is just that the mount coordinates are not very close to sky coordinates.

There is also a feature in APPM to perform test plate solves on the plate solve tab. You can use that to make sure plate solving is working since each plate solver is different. If you are using APCC 1.8.0.9 you can set the camera type in APPM to "NASA Sky View" for daytime testing. It will download an image in the proper image scale using the mount's RA/Dec pointing position. Not many people seem to know about that. :-)

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. I'm probably not going to be available again until this evening, but I can help you more at that time if you still can't get any further. In that case It would be great if you could use APCC's log zipper to capture logs and send me a private email with a dropbox link to the zip file.

-Ray Gralak

Hi Ray, trying to create a simple model with my Horizon and Meridian limits turned on. It generates a set of points
but fails every solve. When I manually try a solve in APPM (using Pinpoint) I get this message:

Plate Solve failed!

The plate's exposure start time is required for catalog proper motion calculation. Check the attached image.

What do I need to do?

Wayne

Wayne Hixson

Ray, would the fact that I'm using a OSC camera with Bayer matrix make a difference?

Wayne Hixson, Stargazer

On Friday, March 20, 2020, 08:41:05 AM PDT, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Wayne,

Assuming you have set up image scale accurately in APPM have you tried setting up All Sky plate solving as a backup for when the normal plate solve fails? It's an option in APPM's plate solve tab. This helps if the problem is just that the mount  coordinates are not very close to sky coordinates.

There is also a feature in APPM to perform test plate solves on the plate solve tab. You can use that to make sure plate solving is working since each plate solver is different. If you are using APCC 1.8.0.9 you can set the camera type in APPM to "NASA Sky View" for daytime testing. It will download an image in the proper image scale using the mount's RA/Dec pointing position. Not many people seem to know about that. :-)

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. I'm probably not going to be available again until this evening, but I can help you more at that time if you still can't get any further. In that case It would be great if you could use APCC's log zipper to capture logs and send me a private email with a dropbox link to the zip file.

-Ray Gralak

Wayne Hixson

Wow that NASA Sky View camera works great - successfully running a model IN THE DAYTIME!! Will save me a lot of time. 😂😂😂

Wayne Hixson

Discovered one issue - the plotter ignores my meridian limits and insists on pointing to the zenith/meridian from the west side, which looks straight up into the eaves of my roof. In fact it appears APMM insists on turning off the meridian tracking limits box. Any way to force the model to image from the east side?

Terri Zittritsch

Hey Wayne, I want to try a model creation myself.    I was going to try on the 15th, but after pressing run, it went off and nothing seemed to happen, and not wanting to waste good clear sky, I abandoned the idea and went back to imaging.

Do you connect to the mount, when you use the Nasa Sky View, or is this 100% simulation only?

Terri

Wayne Hixson

Yes the neat thing is you connect the mount and it physically moves the mount to each point.

On Mar 20, 2020, at 2:45 PM, Terri Zittritsch <theresamarie11@...> wrote:

Hey Wayne, I want to try a model creation myself.    I was going to try on the 15th, but after pressing run, it went off and nothing seemed to happen, and not wanting to waste good clear sky, I abandoned the idea and went back to imaging.

Do you connect to the mount, when you use the Nasa Sky View, or is this 100% simulation only?

Terri

Wayne Hixson

Ray, think I figured out I’ve been doing the meridians wrong! I think I need to run the west limits except I move the scope East to the point it’s not going under the eaves. So the west limits show up on the east side. Right? Then use the East limits for the more typical counterweights up run camera into the pier situation. Anyway I’m starting the mapping anew.

I’m also Remapping the altitude limits so that will be used to stop tracking when the camera starts to track under the eaves.

does this sound like it will work?

Wayne

Wayne Hixson

Even when the West meridian limit is East of the meridian, APPM is slewing to the zenith on the west side. Maybe I won’t be able to do that.

Ray Gralak

Ray, would the fact that I'm using a OSC camera with Bayer matrix make a difference?
Wayne, no that won't make a difference.

-Ray Gralak