APCC V1.8.0.4 Upgrade

Jack Huerkamp

I have APCC Standard V1.6.0.4 installed on my computer and today I updated to V1.8.0.4.  I ran the mount, looked at the Sun, shut down everything and tonight I went back to my observatory.  When I started APCC it said a new version was available (V1.8.0.4) and when I checked the version I had on my computer, it was back to V1.6.0.4.  Somehow the newly installed version got erased.  So I reinstalled V1.8.0.4, connected the mount to SkyTools, had the program guide me to several targets and then I shut everything down.  Before closing up I restarted APCC - again it was at V1.6.0.4.

How do I get the current version to not get removed after shutting down the program?  This is getting annoying!

Jack Huerkamp

Jack is it possible you have both versions installed and you just launch the older version?

maybe check the control panel/installed programs

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Ray Gralak

Hi Jack,

Brian's advice is correct. Please check add/remove programs in Windows to make sure that you don't have APCC installed twice.

Also, APCC's check for updates just provides a link to download the installer. After you download V1.8.0.4 you will need to shutdown APCC and run the installer. If you didn't do that all you did was download V1.8.0.4 but V1.6.0.4 was still installed!

Best regards,

-Ray Gralak

I have APCC Standard V1.6.0.4 installed on my computer and today I updated to V1.8.0.4. I ran the mount, looked
at the Sun, shut down everything and tonight I went back to my observatory. When I started APCC it said a new
version was available (V1.8.0.4) and when I checked the version I had on my computer, it was back to V1.6.0.4.
Somehow the newly installed version got erased. So I reinstalled V1.8.0.4, connected the mount to SkyTools, had
the program guide me to several targets and then I shut everything down. Before closing up I restarted APCC -
again it was at V1.6.0.4.

How do I get the current version to not get removed after shutting down the program? This is getting annoying!

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Brian,

I will go out to the observatory and check to see if I have both versions installed.  I naturally assumed that when I was prompted to upgrade from V1.6 to 1.8, the old version would be removed and replaced with the current one.  That is how most of my other software upgrades function.

I will let you know what I discover.

Thanks,

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Ray,

I started APCC from the icon on my start menu and saw that an update was available.  I downloaded the update, shut down APCC and installed the update.  I then clicked on the APCC icon on the start menu and it indicated that the latest version was installed.  I used the latest version to control the mount.  I shut down the computer and closed up the observatory.  Later last night, I went back out, started the computer and clicked on the APCC icon in the start menu.  V1.6... started.  I repeated the steps to upgrade the program, started APCC and V1.8... started.  I used it to control the mount.  Before retiring for the night, I shut down APCC, restarted it and V1.6... had returned.

Is it possible that the icon on the start menu is linked to V1.6 even though V1.8 is installed?  I would have assumed that upgrading V1.6 to V1.8 would link the start menu icon to V1.8.

I will go out and search the installed programs to see if both versions of APCC are installed.

Yours truly,

Jack Huerkamp

Ray Gralak

Hi Jack,

Is it possible that the icon on the start menu is linked to V1.6 even though V1.8 is installed? I would have
assumed that upgrading V1.6 to V1.8 would link the start menu icon to V1.8.
The installer installs the executable over the old version, so if the old version (V1.6) was not shut down completely then V1.8 will not be able to copy over the existing version. I just tried this myself this morning and you will see warning messages from the installer if that happened. The installer worked correctly when I tested it and the correct version (V1.8.0.4) gets downloaded. The version number is in the executable itself, not the link. So, unless you copied the executable to a new folder there should not be two links.

One possibility is that your antivirus software is preventing the installation. Kaspersky seems to be the worst at that.

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Worsel

Jack

A simple 'fix' would be to just the delete the icon, then create a new link based on the 1.8 executable.  I had to do that for the taskbar icon which I use rather than Start menu icons

Bryan

Jack Huerkamp

Bryan,

I just went to the observatory and started the computer.  In checking the installed apps, only APCC V1.8.0.4 is installed.  However, there were two shortcuts listed for APCC.  One called up V1.8.0.4 and the other called up V1.6.0.4.  So obviously BOTH versions are installed although only the latest is listed.  I deleted the shortcut for V1.6.0 4; however, I would like to clean up the HDD.  How would I go about removing the remnants of V1.6.0.4?

Jack Huerkamp

George

Jack,

Use Windows uninstall to remove APCC and then download a fresh copy and install.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

I just went to the observatory and started the computer.  In checking the installed apps, only APCC V1.8.0.4 is installed.  However, there were two shortcuts listed for APCC.  One called up V1.8.0.4 and the other called up V1.6.0.4.  So obviously BOTH versions are installed although only the latest is listed.  I deleted the shortcut for V1.6.0 4; however, I would like to clean up the HDD.  How would I go about removing the remnants of V1.6.0.4?

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

George,

If I do this, won't the remocal also eliminate my virtual ports and I will have to then recreate them?

Jack Huerkamp

Ray Gralak

Jack,

You might have moved APCC to a different folder as the installer will overwrite the old version.

First, uninstall all instances of APCC from add/remove folders.

Then download the free "Everything" search tool from voidtools at this link: https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/ . It will quickly find any file(s) on your computer that match a file or pattern you enter. BTW, do not rely on Windows Search to do the same thing as it is buggy on Windows 10.

Type "AstroPhysicsCommandCenter.exe" in Everything's search bar to find all instances of that file and delete the contents of those folders.

Then reinstall APCC Standard V1.8.0.4.

-Ray Gralak

I just went to the observatory and started the computer. In checking the installed apps, only APCC V1.8.0.4 is
installed. However, there were two shortcuts listed for APCC. One called up V1.8.0.4 and the other called up
V1.6.0.4. So obviously BOTH versions are installed although only the latest is listed. I deleted the shortcut for
V1.6.0 4; however, I would like to clean up the HDD. How would I go about removing the remnants of V1.6.0.4?

Jack Huerkamp

Ray Gralak

Jack,

If I do this, won't the remocal also eliminate my virtual ports and I will have to then recreate them?
No, the config folders are kept in a completely different folder so they won't be affected by uninstalling or even deleting APCC.

-Ray Gralak

If I do this, won't the remocal also eliminate my virtual ports and I will have to then recreate them?

Jack Huerkamp

George

Jack,

Follow Ray’s advice to a “T”…he is the software guru.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

If I do this, won't the remocal also eliminate my virtual ports and I will have to then recreate them?

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

George and Ray,

Thanks.  I will give this a try and report back

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

I ran add/remove programs and the only one listed was APCC 1.8.0.4.  I removed it successfully and hopefully all files related to V1.6.0.4 were also removed.  I then downloaded V1.8.0.4 from the Astro-Physics website.  NOTE: for some reason I could not use any of the browsers on my observatory computer to do so for reasons unknown.  I returned to the house, downloaded APCC to a USB key, returned to the observatory and installed it.  I then placed APCC on the Start Menu, started it and connected my mount successfully.  For now all is fine.

Jack Huerkamp

Dui @ DDHO

Jack, Ray, I’ve been meaning to do the same. Ray will the user lose all their horizon, meridian settings etc. If they upgrade to the new version?  Is there a step by step instruction on the how to update?  Thx in advance Dui.
what specifically does the update do?  I have the PRO Version.

Ray Gralak

Jack, Ray, I’ve been meaning to do the same. Ray will the user lose all their horizon, meridian settings etc. If they
upgrade to the new version? Is there a step by step instruction on the how to update? Thx in advance Dui.
what specifically does the update do? I have the PRO Version.
You will not lose any settings by upgrading. Even uninstalling and reinstalling won't affect settings.

The changes are all bug fixes resulting from user feedback. The changes can be found at this link:

https://www.siriusimaging.com/Help/APCC/version_history.htm

-Ray Gralak