From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Long <bill@...>
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2020 8:43:01 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach 1 Question

Hey all,

Just picked up a used Mach 1 mount to take place of my Paramount MyT I had as my second mount. Nothing against the MyT, I just like my A-P mounts better. Anyhow, I want to be able to use the existing counterweights I have for my 1100. In this case do I just need the bigger bar, and nothing more -- or do I need to replace something else as well?

Looking forward to getting this lovely used mount out for a fresh curve and some good imaging nights with the iDK. One more question would a 10" iDK weighing in at about 45-50 pounds fully loaded be fine on the Mach 1? Its a pretty compact scope, so I would think so -- but it doesnt hurt to ask.

-Bill

Dale Ghent

Grats on the expansing A-P arsenal. Yeah, you need to get one of the three varieties of 1.875" diameter CW shafts here:

https://www.astro-physics.com/mach1-upgrades-parts/

If your Mach1 came with CW shaft and shaft safety stops that lack the delrin washer, ask A-P to send you a set as well.

On Mar 9, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Bill Long <bill@outlook.com> wrote:

Hey all,

Just picked up a used Mach 1 mount to take place of my Paramount MyT I had as my second mount. Nothing against the MyT, I just like my A-P mounts better. Anyhow, I want to be able to use the existing counterweights I have for my 1100. In this case do I just need the bigger bar, and nothing more -- or do I need to replace something else as well?

Looking forward to getting this lovely used mount out for a fresh curve and some good imaging nights with the iDK. One more question would a 10" iDK weighing in at about 45-50 pounds fully loaded be fine on the Mach 1? Its a pretty compact scope, so I would think so -- but it doesnt hurt to ask.

-Bill

Bill Long

I picked up the long 1.875" shaft and another stop. Should be good to go. 🙂

Grats on the expansing A-P arsenal. Yeah, you need to get one of the three varieties of 1.875" diameter CW shafts here:

https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.astro-physics.com%2Fmach1-upgrades-parts%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C7c3da4ca50b3426a3cd608d7c4913e9d%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637194000400123663&amp;sdata=7Am2U6ITuCkt3FMpFKiJk54QDaWtUor10KUxkA4z5fM%3D&amp;reserved=0

If your Mach1 came with CW shaft and shaft safety stops that lack the delrin washer, ask A-P to send you a set as well.

> On Mar 9, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> Just picked up a used Mach 1 mount to take place of my Paramount MyT I had as my second mount. Nothing against the MyT, I just like my A-P mounts better. Anyhow, I want to be able to use the existing counterweights I have for my 1100. In this case do I just need the bigger bar, and nothing more -- or do I need to replace something else as well?
>
> Looking forward to getting this lovely used mount out for a fresh curve and some good imaging nights with the iDK. One more question would a 10" iDK weighing in at about 45-50 pounds fully loaded be fine on the Mach 1? Its a pretty compact scope, so I would think so -- but it doesnt hurt to ask.
>
> -Bill

Woody Schlom

Bill,

I don’t know the size of the 1100 CW’s, but I got the larger shaft for my Mach1.  I think it’s about 1 ¾” diameter.  The only other thing you might need is the endcap – if the shaft doesn’t already come with it.

I believe the optional larger shaft is shorter than the standard Mach1 shaft.  But of course the larger CW’s are much larger and heavier too.  And for guiding, you want a short shaft anyway.

Woody

Just picked up a used Mach 1 mount to take place of my Paramount MyT I had as my second mount. Nothing against the MyT, I just like my A-P mounts better. Anyhow, I want to be able to use the existing counterweights I have for my 1100. In this case do I just need the bigger bar, and nothing more -- or do I need to replace something else as well?

Looking forward to getting this lovely used mount out for a fresh curve and some good imaging nights with the iDK. One more question would a 10" iDK weighing in at about 45-50 pounds fully loaded be fine on the Mach 1? Its a pretty compact scope, so I would think so -- but it doesnt hurt to ask.

-Bill

Woody Schlom

Bill,

Yes.  That’s all you need – so long as you already have the proper CW’s.

Woody

I picked up the long 1.875" shaft and another stop. Should be good to go. 🙂

Grats on the expansing A-P arsenal. Yeah, you need to get one of the three varieties of 1.875" diameter CW shafts here:

https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.astro-physics.com%2Fmach1-upgrades-parts%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C7c3da4ca50b3426a3cd608d7c4913e9d%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637194000400123663&amp;sdata=7Am2U6ITuCkt3FMpFKiJk54QDaWtUor10KUxkA4z5fM%3D&amp;reserved=0

If your Mach1 came with CW shaft and shaft safety stops that lack the delrin washer, ask A-P to send you a set as well.

> On Mar 9, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> Just picked up a used Mach 1 mount to take place of my Paramount MyT I had as my second mount. Nothing against the MyT, I just like my A-P mounts better. Anyhow, I want to be able to use the existing counterweights I have for my 1100. In this case do I just need the bigger bar, and nothing more -- or do I need to replace something else as well?
>
> Looking forward to getting this lovely used mount out for a fresh curve and some good imaging nights with the iDK. One more question would a 10" iDK weighing in at about 45-50 pounds fully loaded be fine on the Mach 1? Its a pretty compact scope, so I would think so -- but it doesnt hurt to ask.
>
> -Bill

Bill Long

Yep I have a bunch of CW's for my 1100. I ordered the same size shaft that the 1100 has and the stop for it.

Looking at the upgraded Az adjustment plate. If its a pain to adjust this, I may buy that. The mount is from 2010 so I dont think it has it stock.

Yes.  That’s all you need – so long as you already have the proper CW’s.

Woody

I picked up the long 1.875" shaft and another stop. Should be good to go. 🙂

Grats on the expansing A-P arsenal. Yeah, you need to get one of the three varieties of 1.875" diameter CW shafts here:

https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.astro-physics.com%2Fmach1-upgrades-parts%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C7c3da4ca50b3426a3cd608d7c4913e9d%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637194000400123663&amp;sdata=7Am2U6ITuCkt3FMpFKiJk54QDaWtUor10KUxkA4z5fM%3D&amp;reserved=0

If your Mach1 came with CW shaft and shaft safety stops that lack the delrin washer, ask A-P to send you a set as well.

> On Mar 9, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> Just picked up a used Mach 1 mount to take place of my Paramount MyT I had as my second mount. Nothing against the MyT, I just like my A-P mounts better. Anyhow, I want to be able to use the existing counterweights I have for my 1100. In this case do I just need the bigger bar, and nothing more -- or do I need to replace something else as well?
>
> Looking forward to getting this lovely used mount out for a fresh curve and some good imaging nights with the iDK. One more question would a 10" iDK weighing in at about 45-50 pounds fully loaded be fine on the Mach 1? Its a pretty compact scope, so I would think so -- but it doesnt hurt to ask.
>
> -Bill

Dale Ghent

On Mar 9, 2020, at 9:31 PM, Woody Schlom <woody_is@cox.net> wrote:

I believe the optional larger shaft is shorter than the standard Mach1 shaft. But of course the larger CW’s are much larger and heavier too. And for guiding, you want a short shaft anyway.
Yeah it's shorter than the standard 1.125" shaft. It's actually a design feature of the Mach1 that you can remove the saddle from the top of the dec axis to expose the center hole that goes down through that axis, and insert the 10.7" x 1.875" cw shaft completely in there where it screws into the opposite, internal side of the same receiver that you screw the cw shaft into normally.

/dale