Lunar Tracking Rate #ASCOM_V2_Driver

Mike Miller

I was trying to do some EAA on the moon over the weekend with my Mach1, and I found that anytime I clicked the Lunar Tracking button in the ASCOM driver, it would reset back to Sidereal after a few seconds.

Custom rate did work correctly.

My procedure this night:
1. Polar align via Sharpcap
2. Use SGP to solve and sync
3. GoTo RA/Dec of moon in APCC
4. APJog to nudge moon into center of frame
5. Press Lunar Tracking button in ASCOM driver

After a couple of seconds, the ASCOM driver would set back to Sidereal with no errors reported.

Mike Miller

A little more digging, and I think maybe my problem is that I had APCC and the ASCOM driver up at the same time. I only set it in ASCOM and not in APCC. Will the two programs fight over Tracking Rates?

Ray Gralak

A little more digging, and I think maybe my problem is that I had APCC and the ASCOM driver up at the same time.
I only set it in ASCOM and not in APCC. Will the two programs fight over Tracking Rates?
No, it doesn’t matter and it is easy to test.

1. Run APCC and the driver and enable sidereal tracking.
2. On APCC's Rate Settings tab change the tracking rate to Lunar and click "Set Now".
3. Notice the driver will change to the "Lunar" icon and APCC will show "Lunar" tracking rate.
4. On the driver's control window click the "Solar" icon.
5. Note that on APCC the tracking rate now will show "Solar".

So, whichever sets it last is what will be set. The setting can even be set from an ASCOM client application.

-Ray Gralak

A little more digging, and I think maybe my problem is that I had APCC and the ASCOM driver up at the same time.
I only set it in ASCOM and not in APCC. Will the two programs fight over Tracking Rates?

Ray Gralak

After a couple of seconds, the ASCOM driver would set back to Sidereal with no errors reported.
Do you have any applications connected at the time? It could be that one of them is setting the rate back to sidereal. Any slews will also reset to rate to sidereal (APJog, for instance issues slews).

BTW, the mount's lunar rate is just an average rate. If you want to track the moon in both axes a little better consider using the Horizons application that comes with APCC.

-Ray Gralak

I was trying to do some EAA on the moon over the weekend with my Mach1, and I found that anytime I clicked the
Lunar Tracking button in the ASCOM driver, it would reset back to Sidereal after a few seconds.

Custom rate did work correctly.

My procedure this night:
1. Polar align via Sharpcap
2. Use SGP to solve and sync
3. GoTo RA/Dec of moon in APCC
4. APJog to nudge moon into center of frame
5. Press Lunar Tracking button in ASCOM driver

After a couple of seconds, the ASCOM driver would set back to Sidereal with no errors reported.

Mike Miller

Ahh, that would do it! The only app I had connected was APJog, which I used for nudging.  In the future I will get the moon framed and disconnect APJog before hitting the button.

If I am gong to do some imaging instead of just a quick EAA, I will use Horizons to get the rates perfect. This was kind of a on-a-whim thing, and I was out in the field without internet access.

Thanks for your help!

-mike