Encoder Differences between Mach2 and AP1100

Wayne Hixson

I was curious for anyone familiar with the AP1100with AE. Does that mount allow you to move the axes by hand and not lose position as with the Mach2? My friend that bought the 1100 was asking.

Allen Ruckle

It is my understanding the location in the drive train of the Encoders is different between the  AP1100 and the Mach2 GTO.   The Mach2 has them located so that you can move the scope by hand and not loose calibration with the sky model,   The AP 1100 Encoders are in a location with the relation to the clutches that, if moved by hand you do loose calibration with the sky model.

I was unable to find the text in the description of the new Mach2 Gto, however it's in there somewhere.

aruckle

Wayne Hixson

Thanks! I can verify through my experience with the Mach2 that it does retain its position. This is a nice feature given how many times on my Mach1 I had to loosen clutches, manually park and resume from park , and then goto and reposition and recalibrate.

Allen Ruckle

Clearly a lot of thought went into the design features of the next generation A/P Mach2 GTO mount.  They need to stay ahead of the competition.

Roland Christen

The encoders are basically the same, but they are not attached in the same place on the 1100 vs the Mach2. On the 1100 the encoders are part of the worm wheel, and since that wheel never moves manually when the clutches are released, the 1100 mount will not keep track of manual movements with clutches loose.

The Mach2 has the encoders on the axes shafts which do move when the cotches are loose, and therefore the encoders will read the position of the scope whether the clutch is loose or fully tightened.

I was curious for anyone familiar with the AP1100with AE. Does that mount allow you to move the axes by hand and not lose position as with the Mach2? My friend that bought the 1100 was asking.

Wayne Hixson

I already live that feature in the Mach2 even though I’ll I’ve done is set it up a couple times. Now I won’t hesitate to fine-tune my balance or manually move the scope to find something quickly. Or just to hand-tighten the clutch knobs to protect equipment in case of hung cables or pier collision.

Speaking of that, will encoders enable detection of slipping clutches?

Wayne