Does APCC 1.8.0.2 update disable encoders?

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi guys,
   I'm wondering whether upgrading to APCC 1.8.0.2 disables encoders from an older version? Please see screen capture:

I didn't realize the encoder was disabled until I looked at the AE tab. And that was after the upgrade. Which then begs the question as to whether my encoders were disabled before the upgrade.

Is there an obvious way to know whether the encoders are enabled *without* going to the AE tab? When I look at the bottom right window the "ENC" rectangle is in yellow, and so I thought that the encoders were on.

Thanks!

cytan

Hi Cytan

i believe you need to be on the latest GTOCP firmware, you might want to check that out

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

This seems to happen occasionally with users - it would seem a nice enhancement and reduce the support load for AP if APCC checked for the minimum version of firmware required for a given APCC release and report a warning if the firmware is too old.

Michael Fulbright

On 3/6/20 3:53 PM, Brian Valente wrote:
[...]

My GTOCP4 firmware version is A01-13 which I believe is the latest version.

I tried again tonight and checked the status of the encoder. And again, the encoder setting is off when I start up. I just don't remember whether the encoder is automatically turned on after APCC initialization. Is anyone else seeing this?

cytan

On Friday, March 6, 2020, 04:28:07 PM CST, Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...> wrote:

[...]

Craig Young

Yes, mine is also off when I startup.  But also, I noticed both yours and mine show the home positions as -100H (HA) and -100 degrees (DEC).  Does that mean the AE function needs to be initialized or calibrated?  Also, seems like those numbers are a bit extreme and should be limit checked in the software to something like +/- 6 hours for HA and 0 degrees for DEC.

Craig

Ray Gralak

Hi Cytan,

I didn't realize the encoder was disabled until I looked at the AE tab. And that was after the upgrade. Which then
begs the question as to whether my encoders were disabled before the upgrade

The encoders were never disabled. The tab controls just weren't being updated.

I made a fix available yesterday, v1.8.0.4 Standard and v1.8.0.5 Pro.

You can get the update via check for updates. I'll post direct links in a different post shortly.

-Ray Gralak

I'm wondering whether upgrading to APCC 1.8.0.2 disables encoders from an older version? Please see screen
capture:

I didn't realize the encoder was disabled until I looked at the AE tab. And that was after the upgrade. Which then
begs the question as to whether my encoders were disabled before the upgrade.

Is there an obvious way to know whether the encoders are enabled *without* going to the AE tab? When I look at
the bottom right window the "ENC" rectangle is in yellow, and so I thought that the encoders were on.

Thanks!

cytan

Ray Gralak

Hi Michael,

This seems to happen occasionally with users - it would seem a nice enhancement and reduce the support load
for AP if APCC checked for the minimum version of firmware required for a given APCC release and report a
warning if the firmware is too old.
We are discussing this option. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Ray Gralak

[...]

portfolio brianvalentephotography.com <http://brianvalentephotography.com>

Ray Gralak

Yes, mine is also off when I startup. But also, I noticed both yours and mine show the home positions as -100H
(HA) and -100 degrees (DEC). Does that mean the AE function needs to be initialized or calibrated? Also, seems
like those numbers are a bit extreme and should be limit checked in the software to something like +/- 6 hours for
HA and 0 degrees for DEC.
Those are the default uninitialized values which just weren't getting updated. The new builds, 1.8.0.4 and .5, fix this.

-Ray Gralak

Yes, mine is also off when I startup. But also, I noticed both yours and mine show the home positions as -100H
(HA) and -100 degrees (DEC). Does that mean the AE function needs to be initialized or calibrated? Also, seems
like those numbers are a bit extreme and should be limit checked in the software to something like +/- 6 hours for
HA and 0 degrees for DEC.

Craig

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi Ray
  I've tested 1.8.0.4 this morning and it works. AE tab values all filled in correctly.

 FYI, when I clicked on the update button on 1.8.0.2, it said there were no updates. Instead, I just downloaded the update via your link and installed it.

cytan

On Sunday, March 8, 2020, 08:55:06 AM CDT, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

> Yes, mine is also off when I startup.  But also, I noticed both yours and mine show the home positions as -100H
> (HA) and -100 degrees (DEC).  Does that mean the AE function needs to be initialized or calibrated?  Also, seems
> like those numbers are a bit extreme and should be limit checked in the software to something like +/- 6 hours for
> HA and 0 degrees for DEC.

Those are the default uninitialized values which just weren't getting updated. The new builds, 1.8.0.4 and .5, fix this.

-Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Cytan,

FYI, when I clicked on the update button on 1.8.0.2, it said there were no updates. Instead, I just downloaded the
update via your link and installed it.
I just checked and both Standard and Pro updates are visible.

Are you located in the U.S.? There are a few countries blocked from getting to the website.

-Ray Gralak

Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-
physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc <http://www.astro-
physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc>

Yes, mine is also off when I startup. But also, I noticed both yours and mine show the home positions as -100H
(HA) and -100 degrees (DEC). Does that mean the AE function needs to be initialized or calibrated? Also,
seems
like those numbers are a bit extreme and should be limit checked in the software to something like +/- 6 hours
for
HA and 0 degrees for DEC.

Craig

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi Ray

I’m in Illinois.

FYI, I was able to see the update for the ASCOM driver.

Cytan,