Topics

Mach2 Fun #Mach2GTO

Wayne Hixson

Day started with a call from George letting me know Mach2 was out for delivery a day early. Of course I had made lots of plans for the day to free up the next day. So I thought I’d wait and unpack the next day, just couldn’t stand not unboxing. So last night I I got everything set up and running in the garage last. Very cool! I’ve had both a Mach 1 and an 1100 before. The Mach2 was heavier than a Mach1 but much lighter than an assembler 1100 and easy enough to mount on the Eagle pier.

Took me just a bit to connect but got the driver configured and APCC settings tweaked. The new clutches and altitude adjustment are a treat to use. Balancing was easy. The only thing I ran into was that I couldn’t find the safety stop for the counterweight bar.

After just driving the mount around with APCC I put on my 130 GTX and as I said, balance was easy in both axes. The clutches are looser than the Mach1 or 1100 and you could really fine-tune the balance.  I had no trouble setting up the through-the-mount power and usb. I had the Primaluce Eagle on the scope and connected down through the mount to the GTOCP5 through USB.

The  new motors are very quiet.  I was using the 24volt power supply and could access 1800x slews, very smooth and fast. The absolute encoders worked as advertised. When I’d finished balancing the scope with loosened clutches, and moving everything around by hand, I almost got tears in my eyes 😂 when a Park 3 command was executed perfectly. Also installed my new QHY Polemaster after reviewing a couple YouTube videos. Reluctantly went to bed at 11:00 as I had an early day this morning.

The only minor issue I ran into was Ethernet connectivity through APCC. I could connect to the CP5 web page via Ethernet no problem, and APCC shows connected, but the telescope data window (Ra/Dec, Alt, Az etc) stays blank and the ASCOM driver won’t connect. I had the same problem with my CP4 but could fix it by power cycling the CP4 after the computer booted up. This workaround doesn’t work with the CP5. I suspect it’s some network setting.

So an excellent first experience given no way to actually see the heavens. Thanks Roland, George and the A-P family. I have a few photos not sure how best to post though?

Wayne

Dominique Durand

Thank you Wayne for this first experience
I am more and more impatient to receive mine ... but it must cross the Altantic Ocean ...

dvjbaja

Great read. Nothing like a new telescope mount.  According to the published specs, the M2 is only a few lbs lighter than the 1100.  Is 24v a requirement for the high speed slews?

Cheers,  jg

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

[...]

Yes, the 24-volt power supply enables the 1800x slews. The mount comes with a 24v supply. I do have a 12v-24v boost amp for when I’m on battery power, not sure how much I’ll really need it though.

On Mar 4, 2020, at 8:15 AM, dvjbaja <jpgleasonid@...> wrote:

[...]

David Albers

Wayne, thanks for the report on the Mach2.  I will have to live vicariously through others while I wait for my notification.

With regard to the safety stop I know it wasn't included with the Mach1 and I had to order mine separately.  Perhaps that's the case with Mach2 as well.

On March 4, 2020 10:51:37 AM "Wayne Hixson via Groups.Io" <wayneh9026@...> wrote:

[...]

I know that feeling! Actually they mistakenly shipped the safety stop for the smaller Mach1 shaft. They’re rushing me the correct one

On Mar 4, 2020, at 2:36 PM, David Albers <humealbers@...> wrote:

[...]

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

Safety stops for the counterweight bar are always included with each mount. They are wrapped in bubble wrap and are small and sometimes get thrown out with the packing material.

[...]

Thanks Roland... I did think it kind of suprising to not include it at the time.  Glad to be corrected.   I purchased from a retailer and went to them for the replacement  stop.   As you said I likely threw it out accidentally. Now when I get my Mach2 I will look more carefully :)

Dave

On March 4, 2020 6:34:43 PM "uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via Groups.Io" <chris1011@...> wrote:

[...]

Ray Gralak

Hi Wayne,

The only minor issue I ran into was Ethernet connectivity through APCC. I could connect to the CP5 web page via
Ethernet no problem, and APCC shows connected, but the telescope data window (Ra/Dec, Alt, Az etc) stays
blank and the ASCOM driver won’t connect. I had the same problem with my CP4 but could fix it by power cycling
the CP4 after the computer booted up. This workaround doesn’t work with the CP5. I suspect it’s some network
setting.
Since it's happening to both the CP4 and CP5 it is likely the way you have networking setup on your computer, or the network itself.

So, if you haven't figured out the issue yet:

1. Is APCC set to connect to the numerical IP address of the CP5? (e.g. something like this: "192.168.1.2"). If not, configure it to connect to that instead of the CP4's netbios name.

2. If the above does not work, please describe the network configuration where you are using the mount.

If you have a screen shot of APCC in the bad state that might be helpful.

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Thanks Ray I have been using the Netbios name, I’ll try the IP address

On Mar 4, 2020, at 5:10 PM, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Hi Wayne,

[...]

Edited

Ray that worked using the IP address. It even worked where CP4 didn't, which was booting the computer when the controller is already on.

Now here's another one for you. I have the software set to unpark and start tracking automatically. This was working fine. I talked with George and decided to try where I didn't connect automatically, I did it manually. When I tried this the mount stayed parked and tracking 0. When I selected Initialize Mount from the menu, I got a popup what said basically "Hey RA has to be 0 and Dec 90 when you initialize". I went back to auto connect and watched carefully. When APCC connects and the Telescope Info window fills in RA and Dec BRIEFLY show 0 and 90 respectively and during that second or so the mount unparks and starts tracking. Then RA and Dec change to their correct I assume values... Any ideas on this?

EDIT: Another data point. Once I turn off Auto Connect and turn it back on, it will not unpark and start tracking when I close and restart APCC. I do not get the brief RA/DEC 0/90 moment. If I power cycle the CP5 it works again. As the data fills in, The RA/DEC values stay blank a brief second after the other values fill in. They then initialize to 0/90 for a second, mount unparks and tracks.
Thanks again

Wayne

Ray Gralak

Hi Wayne,

Glad that solved the network problem.

The mount is only RA=0, Dec=90 after a power cycle. That's the only time the mount can be initialized.

After the mount has already been initialized if you want to set tracking (on or off) when unparking there is a checkbox on the park tab that controls that.

-Ray Gralak

[...]

There's no problem with the mount or software. If the mount is already initialized when APCC connects it will not initialize the mount (because it is already initialized).

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Thanks Ray. Gotcha. 😀 Now if you could just solve the clouds problem. I was relocating the mount outside to my deck after a partly-cloudy dry day and no rain forecast for several hours. With the idea I’d cover up and be ready to go this weekend when the forecast is better. Literally within 2 minutes of putting the mount on the pier, it started raining. Covered everything, hoping for dry weather later to get the scope and electronics in place.

Wayne

Dominique Durand

Hi Wayne,
no possibility of sending you a clear sky, because here (in France) too, clouds ... clouds and more clouds
And no more information on the upcoming delivery of our Mach2.

Bill Long

The weather is supposed to clear out for Sunday and possibly Monday. I need to finish up some collimation work on my iDK so I am hoping this comes to fruition.