Topics

APPM and CCDSOFT

Worsel

Re:  Thread on "APPM has me stumped"

In that thread, I noted that I will try my SBIG ST-i again, rather than the ZWO.  Here is what happens

PHD2 and Ray's Enhanced PHD2 both find and connect to the ST-i via USB (there is no ASCOPM driver for the ST-i)
CCDSOFT finds and connects to the ST-i, but only as an Autoguider.  It cannot connect if the ST-i is selected as an Imager.

When the ST-i is connected to CCDSOFT as an Autoguider and APPM selects CCDSOFT as the Camera software, APPM cannot find the ST-i

The APPM Log file is below.

0000001 # AP Point Mapper v1.7.1.5
0000002 # APPM Log Starting: 2/7/2020 10:25:21 AM
0000003 2020-02-07 10:25:22.421:       Info,   ASCOM Version, Major version: 6
0000004 2020-02-07 10:25:22.421:       Info,   ASCOM Version, Minor version: 4
0000005 2020-02-07 10:25:22.421:       Info,   ASCOM Version, Service Pack: 0
0000006 2020-02-07 10:25:27.334:       Info,  Connect Driver, AP V2 Driver Version: 5.20.0009, Result: OK

Any insight here?

Bryan

Cheng-Yang Tan

I don't have APPM, but I have used PemPRO with my SBIG camera (STF8300).

I had used the enhanced PHD2 in PemPRO which works, but I have also found that CCDSOFT does work with my STF8300 *if*
I run both CCDSOFT and PemPRO as administrator.

See if that works for you.

cytan

On Friday, February 7, 2020, 11:44:24 AM CST, Worsel via Groups.Io <bryancashion@...> wrote:

[...]

I was able to get APPM to connect to CCDSoft as imager by resetting the asynch IO in the SBIG driver.

SGPro still will not find the ST-i...so my problem devolves again to SGPro.

Bryan

Ray Gralak

Hi Bryan,

PHD2 and Ray's Enhanced PHD2 both find and connect to the ST-i via USB (there is no ASCOPM driver for the
ST-i)
CCDSOFT finds and connects to the ST-i, but only as an Autoguider. It cannot connect if the ST-i is selected as an
Imager.

When the ST-i is connected to CCDSOFT as an Autoguider and APPM selects CCDSOFT as the Camera software,
APPM cannot find the ST-i
This is just a matter of understanding your hardware and software.

First, in hindsight I hope you weren't simultaneously connecting both SGPro and APPM via the ZWO ASCOM driver?

APPM always uses the main camera so the trick to getting APPM to use the ST-i in CCDSoft is simply to configure the ST-i as the main camera in CCDSoft.

That said, you really should be using your main camera for plate solving. Did you say that you have tried setting the camera type to SGPro in APPM and in SGPro connect to the ZWO via ASCOM driver or native if possible?

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Ray
Full circle...bad news, good news

Bad news - I  am unable to get SGP to connect to the ST-i as the imaging camera.

Good news - I really don't want the ST-i/guidescope combination to be what APPM uses for modelling ... Duhhhh

I can connect the st-i as guide camera and run PEMPRO

I can connect my 6D as imaging camera in SGPro (which is what i should have done all along ...Duhhh)

SGPro is happy
APPM is happy
Clouds are happy ...Oh well.

Anyway, I have a configuration that I understand now after much farting around...duhhhh

Given clear skies, I know I can refine the PEC and develop a good model in APPM, leading to unguided imaging.

Bryan

Ray Gralak

Hi Bryan,

Bad news - I am unable to get SGP to connect to the ST-i as the imaging camera.
Did you mean you couldn't connect the ST-i as CCDSoft's main camera? Because that's what I thought you were asking.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get your 6D to work with SGPro. Just make sure to select FITS format file output and not RAW.

-Ray Gralak

Bad news - I am unable to get SGP to connect to the ST-i as the imaging camera.

Good news - I really don't want the ST-i/guidescope combination to be what APPM uses for modelling ... Duhhhh

I can connect the st-i as guide camera and run PEMPRO

I can connect my 6D as imaging camera in SGPro (which is what i should have done all along ...Duhhh)

SGPro is happy
APPM is happy
Clouds are happy ...Oh well.

Anyway, I have a configuration that I understand now after much farting around...duhhhh

Given clear skies, I know I can refine the PEC and develop a good model in APPM, leading to unguided imaging.

Bryan

Worsel

Ray

That is correct.  I can only connect the ST-i as a guider.

P.S.  One reaosn for going with SGPro is that it is one of few/only applications that will convert Canon Raw files to FITS automatically.

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Bad news - I am unable to get SGP to connect to the ST-i as the imaging camera.
Did you mean you couldn't connect the ST-i as CCDSoft's main camera? Because that's what I thought you were asking.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get your 6D to work with SGPro. Just make sure to select FITS format file output and not RAW.

-Ray Gralak

Worsel

Is there information somewhere that provides guidance on good/fair/poor values for Pointing Correction Status and Tracking Correction Status, as well as the other values in the ApModel window, e.g. Tube Flexure?

Bryan

Ray Gralak

Bryan,

Is there information somewhere that provides guidance on good/fair/poor values for Pointing Correction Status and
Tracking Correction Status, as well as the other values in the ApModel window, e.g. Tube Flexure?
There are no good/bad values per se. All of the terms are in arc-seconds. What is more important is how well pointing terms as a whole model the telescope setup and how consistent pointing is. For instance, if the scope's rings, or adapter from scope to camera, have some play then there might be some randomness in pointing accuracy as well as some additional error in the model itself.

-Ray Gralak