: [ap-gto] Park 1

Roland Christen

Updated to add: After I concluded my daytime viewing, I told the scope to go to Park 1.  It landed on the east side of the mount, the scope pointing to the north horizon.
This can happen if your keypad time and your laptop/computer's time are different by more than 10 seconds. For that reason we discourage use of Park1 and instead recommend 4 or 5.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Jan 31, 2020 3:59 pm
Subject: Re: Re : [ap-gto] Park 1

[Edited Message Follows]
Thank you, George.  I'll try that.  In the meantime, it's a clear, sunny day.  I did a go-to to the Moon.  In a 30 mm eyepiece (33x) it appeared at the edge of the field.  Once I centered the Moon and did a recal, I did a go-to to Vega, which required a meridian flip.  Vega was very nearly centered.  I don't mention these to provide an observing log of daytime viewing, but to demonstrate that the time and date in the keypad are correct.  I have used Park 3 several times during the past couple of days, and it looks correct.  Should I try Park 2 and use a level?

Updated to add: After I concluded my daytime viewing, I told the scope to go to Park 1.  It landed on the east side of the mount, the scope pointing to the north horizon.

CurtisC

Edited

I thought the ASCOM driver and/or APCC automatically updated the keypad's date & time from the computer.  No?  I was operating with APCC as recently as Wednesday night.  I use Park 4 when using APCC, but my keypad doesn't have it.  What is Park 5?

Ray Gralak

I thought the ASCOM driver and/or APCC automatically updated the keypad's date & time.
The ASCOM driver send time and date to the controller, but this does not update the keypad's date and time.

What is Park 5?
You can find all the park positions here on pages 21 and 22:

https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/quick-start-workflow-guide.pdf

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc
Author of PEMPro V3: https://www.ccdware.com
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of CurtisC via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, February 1, 2020 2:06 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: : [ap-gto] Park 1

I thought the ASCOM driver and/or APCC automatically updated the keypad's date & time. No? I was operating
with APCC as recently as Wednesday night. I use Park 4 when using APCC, but my keypad doesn't have it. What
is Park 5?

Dominique Durand

Ray, I had read somewhere that the Park5 was planned to replace the Park1 which was not always correct.
but at the sight of the documentation I do not understand too much the interest of this park5 which is rather the park4 upside down.
I made my room with the target of park1 which also works well at home and therefore park 4 or park5 is kif-kif as far as I am concerned. I think that with the mach2 all the parks should work perfectly and even that we can choose our own park.

CurtisC

Thank you, Ray.  Then is there a way to adjust the keypad's date & time to be exact?  Judging by the workflow guide, Park 5 is the result I get when I ask the keypad for Park 1.

Don Anderson

You can use Park 1 if you keep the keypad time synchronized with the computer time. You do this by going to the ASCOM driver and selecting the checkbox "Sync Mount to PC Time". After that, you go to your keypad and go to Setup/1. Location & Time/3. Get Time and Location from Mount". This will synchronize the keypad clock with the CPX controller clock so that Park 1 will work reliably. You need to do this regularly since the keypad clock will drift beyond the 10 second difference that Roland mentioned that can cause an error.

Don Anderson

On Saturday, February 1, 2020, 07:08:18 p.m. MST, CurtisC via Groups.Io <calypte@...> wrote:

Thank you, Ray.  Then is there a way to adjust the keypad's date & time to be exact?  Judging by the workflow guide, Park 5 is the result I get when I ask the keypad for Park 1.

Roland Christen

The ASCOM driver send time and date to the controller, but this does not update the keypad's date and time.
You can update the keypad time by simply pressing "Get Time From Mount" on the keypad menu after initializing the mount from your ASCOM driver. This way the keypad and your computer are synchronized time-wise.

Rolando

Sent: Sat, Feb 1, 2020 4:14 pm

> I thought the ASCOM driver and/or APCC automatically updated the keypad's date & time.

> What is Park 5?

You can find all the park positions here on pages 21 and 22:

https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/quick-start-workflow-guide.pdf

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc
Author of PEMPro V3:  https://www.ccdware.com
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of CurtisC via Groups.Io
> Sent: Saturday, February 1, 2020 2:06 PM
> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> Subject: Re: : [ap-gto] Park 1
>
> I thought the ASCOM driver and/or APCC automatically updated the keypad's date & time.  No?  I was operating
> with APCC as recently as Wednesday night.  I use Park 4 when using APCC, but my keypad doesn't have it.  What
> is Park 5?
>

Roland Christen

Park1 points to the north horizon with scope on the west side. Park 5 points to the northern horizon with scope on the east side of the mount. Both parks are correct. If you unpark the mount from Park1 and begin tracking sidereal, in a few seconds the mount will be in a counterweight up position, which you may not realize. So if you then go inside to have dinner, and forget that the mount is running and go to bed, at some point, perhaps a couple hours later, the scope may be up against the pier and the mount is stalled. With Park5, it takes 12 hours of tracking before you get counterweight up position, so there's plenty of room for error.

Rolando

Sent: Sat, Feb 1, 2020 5:25 pm

Ray, I had read somewhere that the Park5 was planned to replace the Park1 which was not always correct.
but at the sight of the documentation I do not understand too much the interest of this park5 which is rather the park4 upside down.
I made my room with the target of park1 which also works well at home and therefore park 4 or park5 is kif-kif as far as I am concerned. I think that with the mach2 all the parks should work perfectly and even that we can choose our own park.

CurtisC

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 10:32 AM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
If you unpark the mount from Park1 and begin tracking sidereal, in a few seconds the mount will be in a counterweight up position, which you may not realize.
"If you unpark the mount from Park1 and begin tracking sidereal, in a few seconds the mount will be in a counterweight up position, which you may not realize."

I'm well aware of that.  Not an issue in this circumstance.  I adjusted the keypad time as closely as I could to conform to the "atomic clock" in the observatory.  Even so, when I used the keypad to send the mount to Park 1, it went to the equivalent of Park 5.  As it is now, the camera is back on the scope, and I'm back to operating with APCC, which is set to give me Park 4.  I'm having a camera problem (QSI), and I thought it was suddenly resolved while the camera was setting on the computer desk.  So I was emboldened to remount the camera on the scope.  Too soon.

Dominique Durand

Roland, of course in the park1 is less reassuring from this point of view, ... personally when I switch on my mount and it leaves the park ... I'm not going to have dinner right away but I'm starting either a session in visual, or I launch a photo shoot. I do not have much choice since I am with a sliding inclined roof where the highest is on the west side and that I could not do the other way my wife having imposed some constraints.

Christopher Erickson

There is a third party GPS solution for AP mounts from StarGPS.ca that will keep the hand controller time, date and location precisely set every time it is powered up. It can only do this during power-up so it won't help with drift over time in a fixed observatory where the hand controller could be powered up for weeks or months at a time.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020, 9:10 AM Dominique Durand via Groups.Io <dom33.durand=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Roland, of course in the park1 is less reassuring from this point of view, ... personally when I switch on my mount and it leaves the park ... I'm not going to have dinner right away but I'm starting either a session in visual, or I launch a photo shoot. I do not have much choice since I am with a sliding inclined roof where the highest is on the west side and that I could not do the other way my wife having imposed some constraints.

J. Belden

Just a quick question to get me straightened out on the Park options via the hand controller.  All I see on the startup menu is 0 - 4 for Park options but deducing that 4 is 5 didn't work for me.  Is Park 5 option 1 on the hand controller.

I could just trial and error this but figured I could get a relationship to the AP park document.  Otherwise, all is well with my AP1600 with encoders, doing unguided imaging with my 14" SCT, though hope to send it down the road for something better but wanted a great mount first hand.

Joe

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

I keep thinking that I read somewhere that the Park 5 option will be available on the new Keypad software when it comes out. The current version (mine is V4.19.3) only has Park 1 through Park 4

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

George

Joe,

Park 5 is only available in the soon-to-be-released keypad software and via computer (AP V2 driver and APCC).

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of J. Belden via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2020 1:02 PM

Just a quick question to get me straightened out on the Park options via the hand controller.  All I see on the startup menu is 0 - 4 for Park options but deducing that 4 is 5 didn't work for me.  Is Park 5 option 1 on the hand controller.

I could just trial and error this but figured I could get a relationship to the AP park document.  Otherwise, all is well with my AP1600 with encoders, doing unguided imaging with my 14" SCT, though hope to send it down the road for something better but wanted a great mount first hand.

Joe

I forgot to add that I think the Park 5 option just parks the mount at whatever position it is in when the command is given.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000

George

Michael,

No, that is Park 0.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Hambrick via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2020 1:28 PM

I forgot to add that I think the Park 5 option just parks the mount at whatever position it is in when the command is given.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO

PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000

Oops - My bad.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000

J. Belden

Thank you George and Michael

I will note that so I don't keep trying it until the new update.  Or maybe its time to try out APCC

Joe

Dale Ghent

Remember, AP has a nice PDF doc that explains and depicts all the available park positions for both hemispheres:

https://www.astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/park-positions-defined.pdf

On Feb 3, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Michael Hambrick via Groups.Io <mike.hambrick=arlanxeo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Oops - My bad.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
email: mike.hambrick@arlanxeo.com