Topics

1) Starting with CW up; 2) Slewing to a target, landing CW up

Richard Spencer

All,

AP 1100 mount:

It's often useful to start an imaging run with CW up to avoid an eventual meridian flip.  Currently, to do that, I slew to the target with the usual default of landing there with CW down, and then do a meridian flip, re-center, and start to image.

1) But is there a way to tell the mount that I would like it to point to my target in the CW up position?  This would streamline things quite a bit.

2) Related: Once I'm near my object with CW up, I may want to slew to a nearby object to e.g. re-synch.  The mount again does this according to its default, landing there with CW down--which is not helpful.  So, a short slew of a couple degrees completely reverses the mount, and is also not what I want--I want to re-synch with CW up.

2 1/2)  Essentially same at 2):  Likewise, I'd like to slew initially to a star near my target, landing there with CW up, synch, and then slew to the target, keeping CW up.  I can't figure out how to do that; the mount always wants to land CW down when slewing.

There are two ways the AP1100 can point to an object, and it seems that there should be a simple way to tell the mount that I want to choose the one with CW up.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Rick Spencer
Elkton, MD

Worsel

Rick:

Do you have APCC...either Standard or Pro?  You can change the meridian limits in either to move the point of flip east or west as needed.  Typically, we want to start CW up with the scope pointed east but avoid flip entirely.  The process is:

Start APCC. Connect your equipment.
Select Meridian tab
Set the meridian Delay to a POSITIVE value such that the Delay is farther EAST than the target object.  You can see the effect on the globe in the Telescope section of this tab.
Slew to your target
The scope should end up CW up and never execute a flip even when the object sets in the west.

Ray, A-P folks, please clarify this if I am unclear.  I do not know if starting CW up is possible without APCC.

Bryan

Bryan

Ray Gralak

Ray, A-P folks, please clarify this if I am unclear. I do not know if starting CW up is possible without APCC.
Sure, you can set a meridian delay value in the driver. APCC allows you to configure a dynamic meridian delay value that changes with declination and pier side.

-Ray Gralak

Do you have APCC...either Standard or Pro? You can change the meridian limits in either to move the point of flip
east or west as needed. Typically, we want to start CW up with the scope pointed east but avoid flip entirely. The
process is:

Start APCC. Connect your equipment.
Select Meridian tab
Set the meridian Delay to a POSITIVE value such that the Delay is farther EAST than the target object. You can
see the effect on the globe in the Telescope section of this tab.
Slew to your target
The scope should end up CW up and never execute a flip even when the object sets in the west.

Ray, A-P folks, please clarify this if I am unclear. I do not know if starting CW up is possible without APCC.

Bryan

Bryan

Geof Lewis

Hi Richard,
I do this all the time with my 12 year old AP1200GTO CP3, by setting the meridian delay in the V2 driver - note I do not have APCC. A positive number moves the 'meridian' east (earlier) and a negative number moves the 'meridian' west, i.e. delays the flip, which I also use when imaging planets if they are past the meridian as that is a more comfortable configuration for viewing and imaging in my observatory.
For me typically a 2 hour delay doesn't risk any mount collisions, but YMMV so you need to check that out. For some targets I've moved the meridian delay forward 3, or even 4 hours. As the delay is set in the driver any targets that you slew to within the user set delay of the true meridian will not invoke a flip that you do not want.
Good luck,

Geof

On 20 Jan 2020, at 00:35, Richard Spencer via Groups.Io <rgspencer@...> wrote:

[...]

Roland Christen

If you do a meridian delay the mount will go to the object with counterweight up and any other object nearby.