Mach2 Update

Wayne Hixson

Hi! Any update on Mach2 shipments? Enduring minds want to know! 😀

Wayne

Dean Jacobsen

I may be wrong, but I am assuming that the new mounts will not be available until we see software updates for the keypad, APCC Pro and the AP ASCOM driver posted on the AP site. 

So I check to see if any new revisions to the software has been posted.

Dean Jacobsen

Roland Christen

Hang in there, we're getting close.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Dec 6, 2019 10:48 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach2 Update

Hi! Any update on Mach2 shipments? Enduring minds want to know! 😀

Wayne

Rick Socarras

I'm really looking forward to my Mach 2...I can hardly wait.  It's exciting!

That being said...

I want AP to know that they can take all the time they need to get it right.  I'm sure they want these mounts to ship as much as we want to play with them!  I would hate to have a mount quickly only to find issues and problems now need to be addressed by the user because things were rushed.  I want my Mach 2 mount when they are all smiling and congratulating each other on a fun job well done!   

I have no reason to worry...look at all the amazing stuff AP is doing and has done.  It just keeps getting better...

Roland Christen

We certainly won't rush it, and I will be involved with all assembly and testing for these units. We have a good team, they are very careful and do an excellent job. I have spent many months with several of the mounts outside under real sky conditions with various size scopes and I believe we have anticipated just about every condition that these mounts will see. The nice thing about the CP5 and the Mach2 encoder mount is that the system allows a new level of performance analysis of the exact conditions that the axes are experiencing during tracking, slewing, etc.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Dec 6, 2019 6:21 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach2 Update

I'm really looking forward to my Mach 2...I can hardly wait.  It's exciting!

That being said...

I want AP to know that they can take all the time they need to get it right.  I'm sure they want these mounts to ship as much as we want to play with them!  I would hate to have a mount quickly only to find issues and problems now need to be addressed by the user because things were rushed.  I want my Mach 2 mount when they are all smiling and congratulating each other on a fun job well done!   

I have no reason to worry...look at all the amazing stuff AP is doing and has done.  It just keeps getting better...

Dominique Durand

So Christmas present or not?

thefamily90 Phillips

Relax

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of dom33.durand via Groups.Io <dom33.durand@...>
Sent: Saturday, December 7, 2019 5:32:57 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

So Christmas present or not?

Dean Jacobsen

More delays?

Dean J.

Dale Ghent

I don't believe AP has committed to an actual release date for anyone. Roland said that they are progressing and they will ship when ready.

On Dec 20, 2019, at 4:22 PM, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@outlook.com> wrote:

More delays?

Dean J.

Dean Jacobsen

Yes, but perhaps some of us who paid their deposits 3+ months ago would appreciate an update as to where we stand.

Dean J.

Roland Christen

We are beginning final assembly procedures.

Roland Christen
Astro-Physics Inc.

Sent: Fri, Dec 20, 2019 3:50 pm

Yes, but perhaps some of us who paid their deposits 3+ months ago would appreciate an update as to where we stand.

Dean J.

Dale Ghent

Huh. To my knowledge there has never been a requirement for a deposit of any kind to get on the Mach2 list (or any product list) at AP or any of their dealers... unless maybe you were on the Mach1 list and AP required a deposit if you wanted to convert to the Mach2 and be on the first tranche of folks to receive it, but even that would seem to be a stretch given the way that AP has done things in the past.

On Dec 20, 2019, at 4:50 PM, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@outlook.com> wrote:

Dean J.

Bill Long

When you agree to buy, you pay 50% down, and 50% when it ships. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Dale Ghent <daleg@...>
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2019 2:07 PM

Huh. To my knowledge there has never been a requirement for a deposit of any kind to get on the Mach2 list (or any product list) at AP or any of their dealers... unless maybe you were on the Mach1 list and AP required a deposit if you wanted to convert to the Mach2 and be on the first tranche of folks to receive it, but even that would seem to be a stretch given the way that AP has done things in the past.

> On Dec 20, 2019, at 4:50 PM, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:
>
> Yes, but perhaps some of us who paid their deposits 3+ months ago would appreciate an update as to where we stand.
>
> Dean J.
>

Wayne Hixson

Not to get on the list, but when you’re informed you can get one, there’s a deposit.

On Dec 20, 2019, at 2:07 PM, Dale Ghent <daleg@elemental.org> wrote:

On Dec 20, 2019, at 4:50 PM, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@outlook.com> wrote:

Dean J.

W Hilmo

Right.  But you pay nothing to get on the list (or, in the new language, to be notified of when it is available for order).

You only pay the first 50% after you get the call to confirm that you are actually ordering a mount.  The other 50% is due when it ships.  As far as I know, they call to confirm the order before they actually build the mount and it’s normal for some time to pass after that point.  In my case, I received the call to confirm my order in August and paid 50%.  If I remember right, my mount actually shipped in December (or possible November - I can’t remember for sure.

In the case of a new model, I suspect that the delay is longer.  In my case, I got a fairly early AP1600 from the first run.

I know it doesn’t help with the wait, but it will be worth it.  They won’t ship the mounts until they are ready – and that’s a good thing.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Long
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2019 2:42 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Dale Ghent <daleg@...>

>
> Yes, but perhaps some of us who paid their deposits 3+ months ago would appreciate an update as to where we stand.
>
> Dean J.
>

Bill Long

Yes, totally agree that the wait is worth it! 🙂 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of W Hilmo <y.groups@...>
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2019 2:56 PM

Right.  But you pay nothing to get on the list (or, in the new language, to be notified of when it is available for order).

You only pay the first 50% after you get the call to confirm that you are actually ordering a mount.  The other 50% is due when it ships.  As far as I know, they call to confirm the order before they actually build the mount and it’s normal for some time to pass after that point.  In my case, I received the call to confirm my order in August and paid 50%.  If I remember right, my mount actually shipped in December (or possible November - I can’t remember for sure.

In the case of a new model, I suspect that the delay is longer.  In my case, I got a fairly early AP1600 from the first run.

I know it doesn’t help with the wait, but it will be worth it.  They won’t ship the mounts until they are ready – and that’s a good thing.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Long
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2019 2:42 PM

>
>
> Dean J.
>

Roland Christen

Hi All who are waiting so patiently,

To wet your appetite a bit, I ran the first assembled mount last night in the observatory with a 130GTX scope. I was testing our proposed simple Tracking Model, which I intend to put into the keypad over the Christmas holidays. This model measures the drift at a couple of points along the path that you intend to image a deep sky object. Turning the compensation on removes both RA and Dec drift, even if your polar alignment is perfunctory. In my case I used 5 points along the path that M31 was going to take later. The model allows multiple paths for different objects to be stored in the CP controller for any and all parts of the sky. The more paths, the better the tracking everyywhere in the sky. You can do the models any time that stars can be recorded, even right after sunset in twilight before you begin serious imaging.

To see how well it works, I purposely misaligned the pole by about 1 degree, which of course produced some horrendous trailing in both axes as the left hand image shows. The right hand image shows the same 5 minute exposure with the model turned on. Stars are nice and tight and round. The background image is at full resolution of the area around M31, consisting of 10 x 300 sec in my nicely light polluted sky, but producing nice sharp stars. Imagine how much better this will work when the polar alignment is spot on (something i will be trying tonight).

The reason why this will work with excellent results is that both axes are precisely driven with precision encoders, with no periodic error on the RA axis to cause wiggles in the tracking path.

Rolando

Wayne Hixson

Very cool. Roland, will this software be available for and help with older mounts too, like the Mach1, even without the encoders?

Thanks, Wayne 

Roland Christen

Yes, it will work with older mounts but requires the CP4 controller because that one has the memory capacity for this and other routines that we are aiming to add to the keypad.

Another routine that I tested last night was to compensate for the orthogonal error of a telescope so that when you flip sides the scope will point accurately. It's a simple routine that picks a star near the meridian and then flips the scope to the other side where you just have to center the star again and do a recal. This measures the ortho error and applies it for all future flips.

We also will have a couple of other neat routines in the keypad that people have been asking for. All of these will work with the Mach1, 1100, 1600 etc, but with CP4 controllers.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Dec 20, 2019 6:55 pm

Very cool. Roland, will this software be available for and help with older mounts too, like the Mach1, even without the encoders?

Thanks, Wayne 

Steve Reilly

900, 1200, etc?

-Steve

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2019 8:04 PM

Yes, it will work with older mounts but requires the CP4 controller because that one has the memory capacity for this and other routines that we are aiming to add to the keypad.

Another routine that I tested last night was to compensate for the orthogonal error of a telescope so that when you flip sides the scope will point accurately. It's a simple routine that picks a star near the meridian and then flips the scope to the other side where you just have to center the star again and do a recal. This measures the ortho error and applies it for all future flips.

We also will have a couple of other neat routines in the keypad that people have been asking for. All of these will work with the Mach1, 1100, 1600 etc, but with CP4 controllers.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Dec 20, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks, Wayne