APCC: Mount not executing meridian flip when meridian limit reached

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi guys,
   This is the first time I am using meridian tracking limits and so I must be missing something. Please see settings:

I didn't get the screen shot last night, but I had set the meridian delay to -2 hours (as shown above). The counterweight was UP when the meridian limit was reached BUT I saw my Mach1GTO trying to execute the flip multiple times but it remained in its original counterweight UP position. The "Meridian" button started flashing indicating that the meridian limits were reached.

So what went wrong? Shouldn't my Mach1GTO have executed the flip successfully?

I've also attached my APCC log files if that helps. Flip should have happened around 2019-11-22 22:56.

cytan

Ray Gralak

Hi Cytan,

I've also attached my APCC log files if that helps.
Actually, you only attached the ASCOM logs. To include APCC logs you must run the APCC log zipper. Not everyone uses APCC so there is a separate ASCOM log zipper, which is what you ran.

That said, I think I can still tell from the ASCOM logs why the flip was stopped. It looks like something was sending the mount ASCOm pulse guide commands (i.e., auto-guiding). An auto-guiding command will abort a slew.

-Ray Gralak

This is the first time I am using meridian tracking limits and so I must be missing something. Please see settings:

I didn't get the screen shot last night, but I had set the meridian delay to -2 hours (as shown above). The
counterweight was UP when the meridian limit was reached BUT I saw my Mach1GTO trying to execute the flip
multiple times but it remained in its original counterweight UP position. The "Meridian" button started flashing
indicating that the meridian limits were reached.

So what went wrong? Shouldn't my Mach1GTO have executed the flip successfully?

I've also attached my APCC log files if that helps. Flip should have happened around 2019-11-22 22:56.

cytan

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi Ray
  Oops! Attached is the APCC log.

  PHD2 was running at the time. I assume that's what is sending guide pulses to the mount.
     (1) Is there an automatic way that APCC can ignore the guide pulses so that a flip can be executed?
     (2) Or a button in APCC to force a flip?
     (3) Or a recommended way to tell PHD2 to stop guide pulses automatically during this time?

Thanks!

cytan

On Saturday, November 23, 2019, 09:15:48 AM CST, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Hi Cytan,

> I've also attached my APCC log files if that helps.

Actually, you only attached the ASCOM logs. To include APCC logs you must run the APCC log zipper. Not everyone uses APCC so there is a separate ASCOM log zipper, which is what you ran.

That said, I think I can still tell from the ASCOM logs why the flip was stopped. It looks like something was sending the mount ASCOm pulse guide commands (i.e., auto-guiding). An auto-guiding command will abort a slew.

-Ray Gralak

Mike Shade

Would people STOP sending large files to the group!  There are people here who live rural and do not have fast Internet and 5mb and now a 9 mb file is not appreciated.

Thanks

Mike J. Shade: mshade@q.com

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

  PHD2 was running at the time. I assume that's what is sending guide pulses to the mount.

     (1) Is there an automatic way that APCC can ignore the guide pulses so that a flip can be executed?

     (2) Or a button in APCC to force a flip?

     (3) Or a recommended way to tell PHD2 to stop guide pulses automatically during this time?

Thanks!

cytan

On Saturday, November 23, 2019, 09:15:48 AM CST, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Hi Cytan,

> I've also attached my APCC log files if that helps.

Actually, you only attached the ASCOM logs. To include APCC logs you must run the APCC log zipper. Not everyone uses APCC so there is a separate ASCOM log zipper, which is what you ran.

That said, I think I can still tell from the ASCOM logs why the flip was stopped. It looks like something was sending the mount ASCOm pulse guide commands (i.e., auto-guiding). An auto-guiding command will abort a slew.

-Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Hi Cytan,

I don't actually need the APCC log(s). I was just indicating how you would want to capture them. :-)

Normally you would have another program like SGPro command a slew at the end of an exposure which would flip the mount for the next exposure. APCC does not have a mechanism for ignoring the guide pulses. Besides after a flip the N/S guide pulses may be in the wrong direction if PHD2 isn't aware of the flip.

-Ray Gralak

Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-
physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc <http://www.astro-
physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc>

This is the first time I am using meridian tracking limits and so I must be missing something. Please see
settings:

I didn't get the screen shot last night, but I had set the meridian delay to -2 hours (as shown above). The
counterweight was UP when the meridian limit was reached BUT I saw my Mach1GTO trying to execute the flip
multiple times but it remained in its original counterweight UP position. The "Meridian" button started flashing
indicating that the meridian limits were reached.

So what went wrong? Shouldn't my Mach1GTO have executed the flip successfully?

I've also attached my APCC log files if that helps. Flip should have happened around 2019-11-22 22:56.

cytan

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi Ray,
   I tried it again tonight and again, when the meridian limit was reached, APCC tried (maybe 3 attempts) for the flip but failed, i.e. the Mach1GTO moved to some spot and then moved back. Finally, it just ended up in its original unflipped position. I made sure that PHD2 was stopped this time before the flip. I forced the flip by pressing the "pier flip" button in the "Move Scope" panel.

  Is this unexpected?

cytan

On Saturday, November 23, 2019, 10:41:14 AM CST, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Hi Cytan,

I don't actually need the APCC log(s). I was just indicating how you would want to capture them. :-)

Normally you would have another program like SGPro command a slew at the end of an exposure which would flip the mount for the next exposure. APCC does not have a mechanism for ignoring the guide pulses. Besides after a flip the N/S guide pulses may be in the wrong direction if PHD2 isn't aware of the flip.

-Ray Gralak

Horia

Hi Ray,

An auto-guiding command will abort a slew.
Two questions please:

1. Is this a function of APCC or is it implemented in the ASCOM-Driver?

2. Is this behavior ASCOM-conform? I would expect that an ASCOM command is either executed or rejected by throwing an exception. IMHO, once the system accepted the slew command it should complete it (I might be wrong here).

Kind regards,
Horia

That said, I think I can still tell from the ASCOM logs why the flip was stopped. It looks like something was sending the mount ASCOm pulse guide commands (i.e., auto-guiding). An auto-guiding command will abort a slew.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro V3: https://www.ccdware.com Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

Hi Cytan,

I tried it again tonight and again, when the meridian limit was reached, APCC tried (maybe 3 attempts) for the flip
but failed, i.e. the Mach1GTO moved to some spot and then moved back. Finally, it just ended up in its original
unflipped position. I made sure that PHD2 was stopped this time before the flip. I forced the flip by pressing the
"pier flip" button in the "Move Scope" panel.

Is this unexpected?
No, it is not expected behavior. I'll take a look.

That said, the automatic pier flip option should be used with caution. You probably do not want to be autoguiding when APCC forces a pier flip. The correct way to flip the scope is to have a controlling application issue a slew after finishing an image which will cause the mount to pier flip when past the mount's meridian delay.

-Ray Gralak

This is the first time I am using meridian tracking limits and so I must be missing something. Please see
settings:

I didn't get the screen shot last night, but I had set the meridian delay to -2 hours (as shown above). The
counterweight was UP when the meridian limit was reached BUT I saw my Mach1GTO trying to execute the
flip
multiple times but it remained in its original counterweight UP position. The "Meridian" button started flashing
indicating that the meridian limits were reached.

So what went wrong? Shouldn't my Mach1GTO have executed the flip successfully?

I've also attached my APCC log files if that helps. Flip should have happened around 2019-11-22 22:56.

cytan

Ray Gralak

Hi Horia,

An auto-guiding command will abort a slew.
Two questions please:
1. Is this a function of APCC or is it implemented in the ASCOM-Driver?
Neither, it is in the mount's firmware.

2. Is this behavior ASCOM-conform? I would expect that an ASCOM command is either executed or rejected by
throwing an exception. IMHO, once the system accepted the slew command it should complete it (I might be wrong
here).
I don't think it is defined. Besides no exception needs to be thrown because:

1. The slew is started asynchronously so it was successful.
2. The pulseguide during a slew was also successful even if it stopped the slew.

-Ray Gralak

That said, I think I can still tell from the ASCOM logs why the flip was stopped. It looks like something was sending
the mount ASCOm pulse guide commands (i.e., auto-guiding). An auto-guiding command will abort a slew.

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-
physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc
Author of PEMPro V3: https://www.ccdware.com Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver:
https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

tomlin

1. The slew is started asynchronously so it was successful.
2. The pulseguide during a slew was also successful even if it stopped the slew.

Seems like the mount software could  delay guide-pulses until a slew is completed. A guide-pulse command would always check to see if a slew command was in the que.
There would be millisecond delays to auto guiding.

Ray

Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.astro-2Dphysics.com_index.htm-3Fproducts_accessories_software_apcc_apcc&d=DwIFaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=7ixcaAKrn5WsWYgb4dW75A&m=nxvVw6BLav8TW5NUkkN9Z4-gv3tmODJEr_nrCJXrxFI&s=a-ht6HUOOaeCfwBT72nxNiuGjP160liyQ94uacpv7TI&e=
Author of PEMPro V3:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ccdware.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=7ixcaAKrn5WsWYgb4dW75A&m=nxvVw6BLav8TW5NUkkN9Z4-gv3tmODJEr_nrCJXrxFI&s=ImqKGHhIBWMAslqVJXEUPMHch_alOJsNtR7BnVv63IY&e=
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.siriusimaging.com_apdriver&d=DwIFaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=7ixcaAKrn5WsWYgb4dW75A&m=nxvVw6BLav8TW5NUkkN9Z4-gv3tmODJEr_nrCJXrxFI&s=3ENM-WlVdEhakjC-QrrcXtKR6ZPU6u7EwTUK-pxkQvc&e=

As I said before there is a problem here. When the mount flips and Dec moves are reversed because the guiding software won't know
about the mount flip. Not to mention during the slew the guiding software will just capture streaking stars.

The right solution is for the imaging application to stop autoguiding and issue a slew that does a pier flip.

-Ray Gralak

ht6HUOOaeCfwBT72nxNiuGjP160liyQ94uacpv7TI&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-
pxkQvc&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-