600 GTO payload capacity

Douglas W. Forehand <Doug.Forehand@...>

While waiting for our Biblical sequence of rain
storms to pass here in the San Francisco Bay area I've
taken to idle speculations...

Anyone care to speculate why the 600 series mount is
is rated to carry a SCT size of 10 inches max where as
the Losmandy G11, which is not that much different in
size, routinely carries C14's ?

Lets limit the discussion to visual applications only.

*sigh* back to polishing my counter weights...

-Doug

USPS: Douglas W. Forehand INTERNET: dwf@Eng.Sun.Com
Sun Microsystems Inc. VOICE: (408) 774-8015
901 San Antonio Road, MS USUN02-101 FAX: (408) 774-2098
Palo Alto, California 94303-4900

Derek Wong <dawong@...>

"Douglas W. Forehand" wrote:

Anyone care to speculate why the 600 series mount is
is rated to carry a SCT size of 10 inches max where as
the Losmandy G11, which is not that much different in
size, routinely carries C14's ?

Lets limit the discussion to visual applications only.
Hi Doug:

Here are the specs, although it is hard to compare since two
manufacturers may rate their mounts differently.

Eq. Head wt. Rating

Losmandy GM-8 21# 30# ?8" SCT
AP 400 21# ? 8" SCT
AP 600 27# ? 10" SCT
Losmandy G-11 36# 60#
AP 900 40# 70#
AP 1200 91# 140#
HGM 200 97# 150#

The G-11 is a pretty hefty mount, closer to the 900 in size.

Derek

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

A C14 on a G11 mount is quite stable for visual use.

Rich

Hi everyone;

I think that ratings such as this are to be taken with the proverbial
grain of salt. They are really just guidelines. People differ in the
priorities they assign to minimizing weight and cost on the one hand,
versus greater stability on the other. Manufacturers rarely state the
criteria they use in their ratings. One European manufacturer goes
assigning weight capacities for different telescope weight and tube
length combinations. Company 7 sells the Losmandy G-11/Celestron 11 as
a combined package and suggests a C-11 is the maximum this mount can
handle effectively. They say this combination may be on light side for
Astro-photography. Nonetheless, many people have taken great images
with this setup. I used to own a Losmandy GM-100, which was the G-11's
predecessor. Even though the GM-100 was more robust than the current
G-11, I think a C-14 would have been too much for it.

<doug.forehan-@eng.sun.com> wrote:

original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/?start=307
Anyone care to speculate why the 600 series mount is
is rated to carry a SCT size of 10 inches max where as
the Losmandy G11, which is not that much different in
size, routinely carries C14's ?

Show your style! Choose from 6 great card designs when you
apply for Capital One's 9.9% Fixed APR Visa Platinum.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1894/2/_/3615/_/951893069/

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ap-gto&m=1

Charles Sinsofsky <strfire@...>

No way, the 900 GTO is much much larger then the G11. I have owned both
mounts and I would put the G11 at the 600E size, Definatly not in the same
league as the 900 gto. I have owner both mounts and have used the same size
scope on them and the 900 is significantly more stable and load capacity and
in every way more then the G11....though the 600E and the G11 (while I would
lean on the 600E greater) is a much more reasonable comparison.

charles

Anyone care to speculate why the 600 series mount is
is rated to carry a SCT size of 10 inches max where as
the Losmandy G11, which is not that much different in
size, routinely carries C14's ?

Lets limit the discussion to visual applications only.
Hi Doug:

Here are the specs, although it is hard to compare since two
manufacturers may rate their mounts differently.

Eq. Head wt. Rating

Losmandy GM-8 21# 30# ?8" SCT
AP 400 21# ? 8" SCT
AP 600 27# ? 10" SCT
Losmandy G-11 36# 60#
AP 900 40# 70#
AP 1200 91# 140#
HGM 200 97# 150#

The G-11 is a pretty hefty mount, closer to the 900 in size.

Derek

Shop the web for great deals. Save on Computers,
electronics, Home furnishings and more.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1559/2/_/3615/_/951879164/

-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ap-gto/?m=1

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

Hi Charles,

I like the 900GTO too, I bought one. But the G11 is
amazingly stable even with a C14. Maybe it has more
to do with the Losmandy semi-pier and tripod.

Rich

[...]

Tired of missing calls while online? Now you can surf the Internet
without worrying about missing important calls! CallWave's FREE
Internet Answering Machine lets you hear who's calling while online.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1927/2/_/3615/_/951937042/

-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=ap-gto&m=1

Douglas W. Forehand <Doug.Forehand@...>

Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:52:34 -0800
From: "Steve Leikind" <sleikind@visi.com>

I think this is a matter of personal preference. My experience has
been that a G-11 is adequate with a Meade 12" SCT OTA provided there is
no wind. However, in light to moderate wind, there is too much
vibration for my taste. On the other hand, if I used this combination
in an observatory sheltered from wind -- maybe.

"rich n." <rnap-@znet.com> wrote:

A C14 on a G11 mount is quite stable for visual use.
So does anyone believe there is cause for concern about the long
term reliability of the motors and bearings in either the G11
or the AP600GTO when loaded with the mass of a C14 + counterweights ?

-Doug

USPS: Douglas W. Forehand INTERNET: dwf@Eng.Sun.Com
Sun Microsystems Inc. VOICE: (408) 774-8015
901 San Antonio Road, MS USUN02-101 FAX: (408) 774-2098
Palo Alto, California 94303-4900

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

A C14 on a G11 mount is quite stable for visual use.
So does anyone believe there is cause for concern about the long
term reliability of the motors and bearings in either the G11
or the AP600GTO when loaded with the mass of a C14 + counterweights ?

-Doug

Why push a very nice, not inexpensive, mount like
the AP600GTO by loading it down with a C14?

Once when I wanted to compare my old AP 152mm f/9
StarFire to my new AP 155mm f/9 EDT StarFire, I mounted
the older StarFire on Celestron SP mount. With extra weights
and careful balancing the SP motors drove the big OTA
very nicely.

Apparently the G11 is designed to take a heavy load. It is
also relatively inexpensive. If I couldn't afford one of the larger
AP mounts I would feel much better taking a chance with the
less expensive G11.

Rich

Douglas W. Forehand <Doug.Forehand@...>

From: "Rich N." <rnapo@znet.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 14:50:49 -0800

A C14 on a G11 mount is quite stable for visual use.
So does anyone believe there is cause for concern about the long
term reliability of the motors and bearings in either the G11
or the AP600GTO when loaded with the mass of a C14 + counterweights ?

Why push a very nice, not inexpensive, mount like
the AP600GTO by loading it down with a C14?
I agree.
As far as me and my 600GTO are concerned its an academic question.

Apparently the G11 is designed to take a heavy load.
That is my understanding as well. However being an engineer I'm
interested in what design features Losmandy optimized (bearings,
high torque motors,...). So far all I've heard leads me to the
conclusion that there really isn't a significant difference between
the CAPABILITIES of the mounts; just their specs.

It is also relatively inexpensive. If I couldn't afford one of the
larger AP mounts I would feel much better taking a chance with the
less expensive G11.
Although the GOTO G11 is none too cheap at $3595.

From: "Rich N." <rnapo@znet.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 14:50:49 -0800

A C14 on a G11 mount is quite stable for visual use.
So does anyone believe there is cause for concern about the long
term reliability of the motors and bearings in either the G11
or the AP600GTO when loaded with the mass of a C14 + counterweights ?

Why push a very nice, not inexpensive, mount like
the AP600GTO by loading it down with a C14?
I agree.
As far as me and my 600GTO are concerned its an academic question.

Apparently the G11 is designed to take a heavy load.
That is my understanding as well. However being an engineer I'm
interested in what design features Losmandy optimized (bearings,
high torque motors,...). So far all I've heard leads me to the
conclusion that there really isn't a significant difference between
the CAPABILITIES of the mounts; just their specs.
Not true. The only load specs for 600 say it will take certain sized
OTAs. The Cas rating is 10". The G11 is/was sold with C14s.
A C14 is quite a bit more of a load than a 10" Meade SCT.

It is also relatively inexpensive. If I couldn't afford one of the
larger AP mounts I would feel much better taking a chance with the
less expensive G11.
Although the GOTO G11 is none too cheap at $3595.

Ok, for the GOTO model, but I have virtually zero interest in GOTO.
The standard G11 can be purchased for about $2k USD.

Rich

-Doug