Mean Well power supply question - closing the loop

Mike Dodd

After all the discussion about the Mean Well power supply, I thought I'd post a final update.

I installed it this morning, and it's out there pumping 1 Amp into a 20W resistor box. I want to be sure it maintains voltage (and doesn't trip the GFCI) while operating in the cold.

Here's a photo on my website showing the installation: <http://astronomy.mdodd.com/observatory.html#PowerSupply>

I appreciate all the opinions and suggestions this thread elicited. I'm looking forward to running the AP1200 from a reliable power supply.

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

Mike C

I would have a cover over the top to prevent frost and dew from settling into that open frame. Be warned you are hanging your GTOCP off a lowest price point Chinese made SMPS. Just looking at the PCB design and parts in it is cringeworthy. It is one thing to have a $200 television inside a constant environment house with these cheap switchers but I would never do it to a GTOCP outside in wildly swinging humidity and temps.

Now... this is a -40C certified switcher from TDK Lambda:
Conformally coated circuit boards, Nichicon capacitors, and I know... it's 8x or 10x the cost at $148.

Mike

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/tdk-lambda-americas-inc/HWS150-15-HD/285-1299-ND/1631480

Conformally coated circuit boards, Nichicon capacitors, and I know...
it's 8x or 10x the cost at $148.
I'm always open to suggestions from knowledgeable people, and what you say makes some sense.

OTOH, Roland posted here that the Mean Well supplies work with A-P mounts, and I assume that means outdoors under varying conditions.

Mine is in the observatory still pumping 15 watts into a resistor box after 10 hours, and the temp is 33F and 74% RH. I'll be interested to measure the voltage tomorrow morning after 24 hours.

Lambda has a solid reputation, and the datasheet on that supply looks good. I might just spring for the additional cost to put my mind at ease.

Thanks for the link.

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

Mike Dodd

On 11/9/2019 3:16 PM, Mike C wrote:
I would have a cover over the top to prevent frost and dew from settling
into that open frame.
I don't think that's necessary. I just returned from the observatory where the Mean Well power supply was still running after 22 hours. The ambient temperature was 19F, but the metal end of the supply was 27F. It generates sufficient heat to prevent dew from forming.

--- Mike