47 Tucanae with 155EDF refractor

Roland Christen

https://www.astrobin.com/fu21m5/

47 Tuc in my opinion is the most incredible globular cluster in the entire sky. Located in the southern hemisphere, it is easily visible to the unaided eye and really pops with almost any optical aid from binoculars to large Dobsonians. The perfection of this glob is in the symmetry and gradual buildup to the bright inner core. In a way it resembles the beauty and perfection of Mt Fuji in Japan.

The image was taken with a 155EDF refractor, one of many scopes that Daniel Verschatse installed at his observatory complex at the Hacienda de Los Andes at the southern edge of the Atacama desert. The location was close to perfection as far as transparency and steadiness of the sky. Marj and I were fortunate to visit Daniel several times while he was still with us on this earth. A more gracious host I have never known.

Terry Martin

Wow!!  That's gorgeous.  Thanks for sharing Roland.

Eric Weiner

Very beautiful Roland. Simply out of curiosity, is this the image processed in 2011 or did you use modern techniques to reprocess the 2011 subs?

Cheers,
Eric

vk3cjk

Hi Roland, many here 'down under' would readily agree with you.   It's certainly been a goto target that my AP 1200 has settled on many times to show countless visitors.   We are very lucky to have Tuc 47 in our backyard!
Nice rendition of yours, too.

Cheers, Chris

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 7:08 AM Terry Martin <terry@...> wrote:
Wow!!  That's gorgeous.  Thanks for sharing Roland.

Roland Christen

It was processed back in 2011. I have not gone back to the original subs.Too many other projects.

I did want to post this because the 155 is probably my favorite medium sized refractor and I don't use it much here because I have a 160 (which is unfortunately longer and heavier). The glass for the 155 ended up having more and more problems (glass made by Schott) so I finally threw in the towel and redesigned the lens to use all Ohara glass from Japan in our 160 EDF as well as all the other newer scopes.

Very beautiful Roland. Simply out of curiosity, is this the image processed in 2011 or did you use modern techniques to reprocess the 2011 subs?

Cheers,
Eric

Eric Weiner

Roland,

So this image was taken with the retrofitted Ohara glass 155 or prior to the retrofit with Schott glass?

It sounds like this is an OTA you still have in your personal inventory. It must sincerely be a pleasure to have found a profession which you enjoy so much, have developed significant skill in, and have built a very successful business out of which produces products sought after and coveted by so many.

Does this portend your consideration of a future 155 production run, or are you reminiscing? I’m not privy to what glass is available or not, or even what glass is good or bad. I’m a simple end user. A quick search shows Ohara Japan is still in business. I suppose quality telescope owners should understand these details if they are available.

Regards,
Eric

Roland Christen

It sounds like this is an OTA you still have in your personal inventory.
No, this is not my scope. It was purchased years ago by Daniel Verschatse for his Hacienda Chile observatory complex. I used it when i visited down there.
I have my own scope here, of course and use it for testing, but I cannot image 47 Tuc from up here in Illinois with my 155.

So this image was taken with the retrofitted Ohara glass 155 or prior to the retrofit with Schott glass?

It sounds like this is an OTA you still have in your personal inventory. It must sincerely be a pleasure to have found a profession which you enjoy so much, have developed significant skill in, and have built a very successful business out of which produces products sought after and coveted by so many.

Does this portend your consideration of a future 155 production run, or are you reminiscing? I’m not privy to what glass is available or not, or even what glass is good or bad. I’m a simple end user. A quick search shows Ohara Japan is still in business. I suppose quality telescope owners should understand these details if they are available.

Regards,
Eric

Eric Weiner

Well I know you couldn’t shoot 47 Tucanae from your latitude, and telescopes can be moved from one location to the next 😉. I suppose I was mainly curious about the addition of the glass discussion and was fishing for more details.

Eric

Christopher M

This may be an odd question, but can an AP155EDFS be "rebuilt" into an AP155EDF?  I believe the lense assembly is the same.  I assume it would require some changes to the OTA tube, possibly baffling (?), and whatever, to accomodate replacement of the smaller focuser to the larger 4" focuser.  I don't have either but I do know someone who has an EDFS.
Christopher

Roland Christen

his may be an odd question, but can an AP155EDFS be "rebuilt" into an AP155EDF?
Yes, you simply replace the 2.7" focuser with the 4". 6 screws hold it on. Nothing else needs to be changed.

This may be an odd question, but can an AP155EDFS be "rebuilt" into an AP155EDF?  I believe the lense assembly is the same.  I assume it would require some changes to the OTA tube, possibly baffling (?), and whatever, to accomodate replacement of the smaller focuser to the larger 4" focuser.  I don't have either but I do know someone who has an EDFS.
Christopher

Christopher M

Thank you.  :)

Christopher, the 4” focuser is no longer available, but our newer 3.5” focuser would be an appropriate replacement. We do not have them in stock at the moment, but they are in production. Click the Notify Me button on the webpage and we will contact you when it is available. The upgrade is very quick and easy.

https://www.astro-physics.com/s35focer-ft

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

his may be an odd question, but can an AP155EDFS be "rebuilt" into an AP155EDF?

Yes, you simply replace the 2.7" focuser with the 4". 6 screws hold it on. Nothing else needs to be changed.

This may be an odd question, but can an AP155EDFS be "rebuilt" into an AP155EDF?  I believe the lense assembly is the same.  I assume it would require some changes to the OTA tube, possibly baffling (?), and whatever, to accomodate replacement of the smaller focuser to the larger 4" focuser.  I don't have either but I do know someone who has an EDFS.
Christopher

Bill Long

Just to add, the 3.5" focuser from AP is excellent! I had 11lbs of camera, wheel, OAG, and guide camera on it with no problem at all. Very robust.