Mean Well power supply question

Mike Dodd

A week or two ago, Roland stated that the Mean Well works fine with A-P mounts. I bought a 15V model, and have a question.

The AC line input ground terminal is connected to the metal case, as it should be. The + and - DC output terminals are isolated from the case.

The power connector on my AP1200 connects the negative wire to the metal mount case.

QUESTION: Does the Mean Well power supply work OK with the negative DC terminal connected to ground (case) through the AP12o00 power cable?

I assume it does, but I'd just like confirmation before I connect it.

Thanks.

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

Roland Christen

Yes, the negative terminal is always the ground terminal which is also connected to the case.

Roland

A week or two ago, Roland stated that the Mean Well works fine with A-P
mounts. I bought a 15V model, and have a question.

The AC line input ground terminal is connected to the metal case, as it
should be. The + and - DC output terminals are isolated from the case.

The power connector on my AP1200 connects the negative wire to the metal
mount case.

QUESTION: Does the Mean Well power supply work OK with the negative DC
terminal connected to ground (case) through the AP12o00 power cable?

I assume it does, but I'd just like confirmation before I connect it.

Thanks.

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

Mike C

Can you link to this power supply, are you referring to their little switcher power supplies in the perforated metal cases?

On 11/7/2019 12:31 PM, Mike C wrote:
Can you link to this power supply, are you referring to their little
switcher power supplies in the perforated metal cases?
Yes. I bought this 15V 7A supply for $20 on eBay: <https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mean-Well-LRS-100-15-105W-15V-7A-Single-Output-Switchable-Power-Supply/112267760381?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649>

It has a "tweaking" potentiometer, which I used to adjust the output voltage to 14.7V.

My only concern is that the AC power wires attach to a terminal strip with screws that are exposed. Yes, they're separated by barriers, but I don't like ANY exposed 120VAC connections. After I secured the AC connections, I applied some RTV silicone to the three screws.

It looks like a nice power supply. I hope it works well, even on humid nights.

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

tomlin

You can use a DVM or digital volt meter to check any power supply as long as the power supply voltage does not exceed the meter rating.

Make sure the DVM leads are attached to the DVM properly, ie black goes to Common on the meter.

Use the DVM (turn the switch to DC volts mode) to measure the power supply outputs. If you put the red meter lead on the red power supply connection (+) and the black meter lead on the black power supply connection (-), it should indicate a positive reading. If you switch the leads at either the power supply or the meter, the reading will be the same except that it will have a minus sign ( - ) in front of it.

Ray

On 11/7/2019 1:31 PM, tomlin wrote:
You can use a DVM or digital volt meter to check any power supply as
long as the power supply voltage does not exceed the meter rating.
Yes. I have many decades experience designing, building, and using electronics, and I am familiar with DMMs.

I just wanted to confirm that the Mean Well supply still works correctly if the negative output terminal is connected to its case via the AP1200 mount and other common/ground connections such as the RS-232 cable to the PC, etc.

Per Roland, that seems to be the case -- no problem.

--- Mike

Horia

Mike,

That power supply is not intended to be used as a stand alone device. It is actually an OEM part, and the expectation is that it will be mounted in an protective enclosure of sorts. Your concern about the exposed AC terminals is absolutely right. The RTV silicone solution is not.

Kind regards,

Horia

Mike C

Thanks for the link. I would mount a P/S like that in a NEMA or UL rated weatherproof enclosure of some kind.

On 11/7/2019 3:32 PM, Horia wrote:

That power supply is not intended to be used as a stand alone device. It
is actually an OEM part, and the expectation is that it will be mounted
in an protective enclosure of sorts.
Good point. I'll look into mounting it in a PVC or metal outdoor box.

Your concern about the exposed AC
terminals is absolutely right. The RTV silicone solution is not.
Why not RTV?

--- Mike

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

On 11/7/19 6:26 PM, Mike Dodd wrote:
On 11/7/2019 3:32 PM, Horia wrote:

That power supply is not intended to be used as a stand alone device. It
is actually an OEM part, and the expectation is that it will be mounted
in an protective enclosure of sorts.
Good point. I'll look into mounting it in a PVC or metal outdoor box.

Your concern about the exposed AC
terminals is absolutely right. The RTV silicone solution is not.
Why not RTV?

--- Mike

Peter Nagy

Hi Mike,

This power adapter has strange DC connector. It shows 4-Pin DIN Male connector which is unusual for this hobby.

Peter

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 03:38 PM, Michael Fulbright wrote:
What about this style DC switching medical supply from Meanwell?

https://www.jameco.com/z/GSM120B15-R7B-MEAN-WELL-AC-to-DC-Switching-Medical-Table-Top-Power-Supply-Single-Output-15-Volts-7-Amps-105-Watts_2214299.html

Thank You,
Michael Fulbright

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

Good point but that shouldn't be too hard to change - I'm more interested in what people think in terms of it being a medical rated supply and if this means anything in terms of it being higher quality than the run of the mill supply.

Michael Fulbright

On 11/7/19 9:34 PM, Peter Nagy wrote:
Hi Mike,

This power adapter has strange DC connector. It shows 4-Pin DIN Male connector which is unusual for this hobby.

Peter

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 03:38 PM, Michael Fulbright wrote:
What about this style DC switching medical supply from Meanwell?

https://www.jameco.com/z/GSM120B15-R7B-MEAN-WELL-AC-to-DC-Switching-Medical-Table-Top-Power-Supply-Single-Output-15-Volts-7-Amps-105-Watts_2214299.html

Thank You,
Michael Fulbright

Dale Ghent

The way I read the ANSI/IEC60601-1 standard this claims to conform to, these are standards which govern the /safety/ of electrical medical equipment that patients come in contact with. Low leakage, proper grounding, parameters like that. It doesn't necessarily guarantee or make any claims regarding the /performance/ of the device. That can be a different ballgame, especially if it's being used outside the environment it was perhaps designed or intended for (eg; outside in high humidity, sub-zero temps, hot temps, direct sunlight, etc and not in indoors at room temperature)

So I guess such certification is nice, but I don't think it makes something more (or less) appropriate for our kinds of use-cases, if that's what you're asking.

I don't think that, beyond a few basic stipulations, one needs to get fancy with their power supplies here. A quality regulated bench power supply that outputs 12-13.8VDC is what's needed. How much current it should be able to push is site-specific and up to your wallet. Bear in mind that you'll probably want an in-line buck-boost transformer to step the voltage up to 14-16VDC for your mount. Straight 12VDC in cold wether will make for some sluggish and hungry servo motors.

/dale

On Nov 7, 2019, at 10:04 PM, Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@pobox.com> wrote:

Good point but that shouldn't be too hard to change - I'm more interested in what people think in terms of it being a medical rated supply and if this means anything in terms of it being higher quality than the run of the mill supply.

Michael Fulbright

On 11/7/19 9:34 PM, Peter Nagy wrote:
Hi Mike,

This power adapter has strange DC connector. It shows 4-Pin DIN Male connector which is unusual for this hobby.

Peter

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 03:38 PM, Michael Fulbright wrote:
What about this style DC switching medical supply from Meanwell?

https://www.jameco.com/z/GSM120B15-R7B-MEAN-WELL-AC-to-DC-Switching-Medical-Table-Top-Power-Supply-Single-Output-15-Volts-7-Amps-105-Watts_2214299.html

Thank You,
Michael Fulbright

Don Anderson

Another good power supply that I have used for the past 8 years is an Alinco DM-330MV. It is made for the ham radio world. Is a 30 amp switching power supply with lots of connection options. It also has an adjustable output voltage from 5-15VDC.
Below is a link to one supplier.
https://www.radioworld.ca/ali-dm330mvt

jimmyjujames

110 Volt wire connections on power supply
Make sure you connect the protective ground (green wire) to chassis

If the screws will unscrew out completely I would use
Ring wire connectors on end of wires.

If the screws will not unscrew completely out I would use
Spade wire connectors on end of wires.
Or clip out part of the ring connector making it a spade connector.

Crimped or not I always solder the wires in connectors.
Crimping only is a second choice for me if a soldering iron is not available.

Do a google search for ring or spade wire connectors.
Lots of local stores carry them.

RTV cons
I have never used any kind of sealant on terminal strips.
You might be surprised how often the screws become loosened with constant movement of wires.
May hamper re-tightening screws.

RTV pros
Sealant my act as a lock tight and keep screws from loosening???

Jimmy
Our Earth would become a black hole if compressed down to a volume of about 1 cubic inch.

Mike Dodd

On 11/8/2019 1:43 AM, Don Anderson via Groups.Io wrote:
Another good power supply that I have used for the past 8 years is an
Alinco DM-330MV. It is made for the ham radio world.
I use one a DM-330MV for my ham station, and thought it would be good for the AP1200 as well.

Sadly, that was not the case.

During the first imaging run with it, I found the mount and cameras dead -- the GFCI had tripped. I reset the GFCI and tried again. An hour later it tripped again.

The next night I connected the DM-330MV to a 20W resistor box, and ran 1A of current through it. The GFCI tripped sometime overnight. I tried that test again the following day -- the GFCI tripped once again.

To be clear: the DM-330V was the ONLY thing being powered through the GFCI receptacle that tripped.

I don't know why the power supply caused the GFCI to trip. Perhaps it was the cold temperature or the humidity. The specs state an ambient temperature of 50F to 95F.

The GFCI problem was the reason I bought the Mean Well supply. Now I have a spare power supply for my ham station.

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

Daniel Marcus

Hi Mike
missed part of this conversation, so I am assuming you have already done this but -just curious - have you tried a different GFCI circuit ( one that is using a different GFCI protector) or measured the leakage current to ground? GFCIs are notorious for going bad. Could be the GFCI is in the process of failing and is too sensitive?
Dan Marcus

On 11/8/2019 1:43 AM, Don Anderson via Groups.Io wrote:
> Another good power supply that I have used for the past 8 years is an
> Alinco DM-330MV. It is made for the ham radio world.

I use one a DM-330MV for my ham station, and thought it would be good
for the AP1200 as well.

Sadly, that was not the case.

During the first imaging run with it, I found the mount and cameras dead
-- the GFCI had tripped. I reset the GFCI and tried again. An hour later
it tripped again.

The next night I connected the DM-330MV to a 20W resistor box, and ran
1A of current through it. The GFCI tripped sometime overnight. I tried
that test again the following day -- the GFCI tripped once again.

To be clear: the DM-330V was the ONLY thing being powered through the
GFCI receptacle that tripped.

I don't know why the power supply caused the GFCI to trip. Perhaps it
was the cold temperature or the humidity. The specs state an ambient
temperature of 50F to 95F.

The GFCI problem was the reason I bought the Mean Well supply. Now I
have a spare power supply for my ham station.

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fastronomy.mdodd.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C6d2d00054a0846af1da408d76455f51e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637088192648994628&amp;sdata=1qwMYXbPInoJYiJLaH8Fn%2BlNi9CZNRtlLYwGqOJslHU%3D&amp;reserved=0

Mike Dodd

On 11/8/2019 10:03 AM, Daniel Marcus wrote:
Hi Mike
missed part of this conversation, so I am assuming you have already done
this but -just curious - have you tried a different GFCI circuit ( one
that is using a different GFCI protector)
I did not try the power supply on the other GFCI circuit in the observatory.

or measured the leakage current to ground?
I checked AC voltage to ground through a 1 meg resistor, and there is no potential on either DC output terminal or on the power supply case.

GFCIs are notorious for going bad. Could be the GFCI
is in the process of failing and is too sensitive?
Possible, but very unlikely. Both observatory GFCIs are one year old. Further, both have never tripped in that year of operation. The pier GFCI tripped ONLY when the Alinco DM-330V power supply was plugged in. Never before and never since.

--- Mike

Don Anderson

Hi Mike
That's odd. I have never had that problem with mine. I did run mine through a 50' extension cord plugged into a outside outlet in my previous residence. I believe it was a GFCI but I can't say for certain. Did you try the Alinco on another outlet?

Don Anderson

On Friday, November 8, 2019, 07:14:24 a.m. MST, Mike Dodd <mike@...> wrote:

On 11/8/2019 1:43 AM, Don Anderson via Groups.Io wrote:
> Another good power supply that I have used for the past 8 years is an
> Alinco DM-330MV. It is made for the ham radio world.

I use one a DM-330MV for my ham station, and thought it would be good
for the AP1200 as well.

Sadly, that was not the case.

During the first imaging run with it, I found the mount and cameras dead
-- the GFCI had tripped. I reset the GFCI and tried again. An hour later
it tripped again.

The next night I connected the DM-330MV to a 20W resistor box, and ran
1A of current through it. The GFCI tripped sometime overnight. I tried
that test again the following day -- the GFCI tripped once again.

To be clear: the DM-330V was the ONLY thing being powered through the
GFCI receptacle that tripped.

I don't know why the power supply caused the GFCI to trip. Perhaps it
was the cold temperature or the humidity. The specs state an ambient
temperature of 50F to 95F.

The GFCI problem was the reason I bought the Mean Well supply. Now I
have a spare power supply for my ham station.

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

Mike Dodd

On 11/8/2019 9:55 PM, Don Anderson via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Mike
Did you try the Alinco on another outlet?
No; the one that tripped was the one powering the pier equipment, so that's the one I tested.

No matter. I have the Mean Well mounted on a board, and enclosed on three sides with a plastic shield that extends over the ends, so I'm ready to use that one.

--- Mike