Help with getting mount (AP 1100GTO) to flip in Voyager

Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...>

Hi,

While I have been using Voyager successfully for a bit now (thanks Bill :)) I still have not been successful in getting the mount to flip automatically when reaching the meridian. Can anyone see what may need changing in the settings I have to get the mount to flip successfully at the meridian?

Thanks

Tony

Ray Gralak

Hi Tony,

By default the mount will flip if issued a goto command after it passes the meridian + meridian delay. However, you can force the flip by setting the Action to take on APCC's Meridian delay tab.

That said, you may not want to force a meridian flip because if you are imaging the camera may be taking a picture at that time. Usually the application software will issue a GOTO before the start of the next image when it detects the scope has passed the meridian.

-Ray Gralak

While I have been using Voyager successfully for a bit now (thanks Bill :)) I still have not been successful in getting
the mount to flip automatically when reaching the meridian. Can anyone see what may need changing in the
settings I have to get the mount to flip successfully at the meridian?

Thanks

Tony

Peter Nagy

See Voyager online manual.

https://voyager.tourstar.net/index.php?title=Sequence_Configuration#Meridian_Flip_Tab

Select "Manage" for Meridian Flip mode.

I don't use APCC so I can't help you with that.

Peter

Wayne Hixson

I have the same setup and Leo helped with this. From the Voyager side you need to change the Voyager Mount setting ASCOM  Pier Mode to ASCOM Normal. Then in your Sequence meridian flip tab, set Mode to Manage and and click the ABORT exposure if meridian flip initiated outside Voyager box. Looks like your APCC settings are correct, you can move the meridian east or west as you see fit.

Wayne

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I don't use APCC so I can't help you with that.

Peter

Peter Nagy

I also set the Voyager Mount setting ASCOM Pier Mode to ASCOM Normal as Wayne said.

Peter

Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...>

Thanks all for the replies - I have set the ASCOM  Pier Mode to ASCOM Normal and do have Manage set in the Sequencer . Now I'm curious about this - lets say your not taking any images but just letting the scope track - should the mount be doing the flip (through Voyager) right at the meridian or 10 min past the meridian? (seems that is what Voyager wants - a 10 min delay after meridian crossing)?

Peter Nagy

I don't know if you can run the sequence WITHOUT capturing images with Voyager. Voyager will probably flag a sequence error saying the sequence is not set to capture images. But for the sake of the argument, I would say that when Voyager sees that the mount tracked past Voyager's Meridian limit, then I would expect Voyager to send a slew command in order to flip the mount.

I am not exactly sure why your mount didn't flip when you expected it. I cannot view your images because they are tiny and cannot see the settings. Maybe make a larger screen shot of Voyager's setup screen showing mount tab and also another screen shot of sequence window showing Meridian Flip tab. I have the exact same mount as yours and my second light with Voyager had successful Meridian Flip and I set it to 4 minutes before and after Meridian flip in Setup screen under Mount tab.

I think it would be more appropriate to post this thread at Voyager forum.

Peter

Wayne Hixson

The way you’re setting it up (like me) is APCC will be initiating the flip, wherever you set it. Voyager will detect it and do the plate solve and recenter.

On Nov 1, 2019, at 4:08 PM, Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...> wrote:

Thanks all for the replies - I have set the ASCOM  Pier Mode to ASCOM Normal and do have Manage set in the Sequencer . Now I'm curious about this - lets say your not taking any images but just letting the scope track - should the mount be doing the flip (through Voyager) right at the meridian or 10 min past the meridian? (seems that is what Voyager wants - a 10 min delay after meridian crossing)?

Peter Nagy

Does it sound like a good idea for a third party software like APCC to initiate a Meridian Flip in the middle of imaging without telling Voyager (or other automation software like SGP)? Wouldn't it be better for Voyager or other automation software like SGP to decide to finish imaging a current exposure before deciding to do Meridian Flip?

Peter

Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...>

Yes, for sure. I have APCC set to “Just Warn” so hopefully Voyager will take control and do the flip. It should be flipping in about 1 hr – so time will tell J