Help with getting mount (AP 1100GTO) to flip in Voyager

Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...>

Hi,

While I have been using Voyager successfully for a bit now (thanks Bill :)) I still have not been successful in getting the mount to flip automatically when reaching the meridian. Can anyone see what may need changing in the settings I have to get the mount to flip successfully at the meridian?

Thanks

Tony

Ray Gralak

Hi Tony,

By default the mount will flip if issued a goto command after it passes the meridian + meridian delay. However, you can force the flip by setting the Action to take on APCC's Meridian delay tab.

That said, you may not want to force a meridian flip because if you are imaging the camera may be taking a picture at that time. Usually the application software will issue a GOTO before the start of the next image when it detects the scope has passed the meridian.

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/software/apcc/apcc
Author of PEMPro V3: https://www.ccdware.com
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Benjamin
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 8:18 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Help with getting mount (AP 1100GTO) to flip in Voyager

Hi,

While I have been using Voyager successfully for a bit now (thanks Bill :)) I still have not been successful in getting
the mount to flip automatically when reaching the meridian. Can anyone see what may need changing in the
settings I have to get the mount to flip successfully at the meridian?

Thanks

Tony

Peter Nagy

See Voyager online manual. 

https://voyager.tourstar.net/index.php?title=Sequence_Configuration#Meridian_Flip_Tab

Select "Manage" for Meridian Flip mode.

I don't use APCC so I can't help you with that.

Peter 

Wayne Hixson

I have the same setup and Leo helped with this. From the Voyager side you need to change the Voyager Mount setting ASCOM  Pier Mode to ASCOM Normal. Then in your Sequence meridian flip tab, set Mode to Manage and and click the ABORT exposure if meridian flip initiated outside Voyager box. Looks like your APCC settings are correct, you can move the meridian east or west as you see fit.

Wayne

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Help with getting mount (AP 1100GTO) to flip in Voyager

See Voyager online manual. 

https://voyager.tourstar.net/index.php?title=Sequence_Configuration#Meridian_Flip_Tab

Select "Manage" for Meridian Flip mode.

I don't use APCC so I can't help you with that.

Peter 

Peter Nagy

I also set the Voyager Mount setting ASCOM Pier Mode to ASCOM Normal as Wayne said.

Peter 

Thanks all for the replies - I have set the ASCOM  Pier Mode to ASCOM Normal and do have Manage set in the Sequencer . Now I'm curious about this - lets say your not taking any images but just letting the scope track - should the mount be doing the flip (through Voyager) right at the meridian or 10 min past the meridian? (seems that is what Voyager wants - a 10 min delay after meridian crossing)?

Peter Nagy

I don't know if you can run the sequence WITHOUT capturing images with Voyager. Voyager will probably flag a sequence error saying the sequence is not set to capture images. But for the sake of the argument, I would say that when Voyager sees that the mount tracked past Voyager's Meridian limit, then I would expect Voyager to send a slew command in order to flip the mount.

I am not exactly sure why your mount didn't flip when you expected it. I cannot view your images because they are tiny and cannot see the settings. Maybe make a larger screen shot of Voyager's setup screen showing mount tab and also another screen shot of sequence window showing Meridian Flip tab. I have the exact same mount as yours and my second light with Voyager had successful Meridian Flip and I set it to 4 minutes before and after Meridian flip in Setup screen under Mount tab.

I think it would be more appropriate to post this thread at Voyager forum.

Peter

Wayne Hixson

The way you’re setting it up (like me) is APCC will be initiating the flip, wherever you set it. Voyager will detect it and do the plate solve and recenter. 

On Nov 1, 2019, at 4:08 PM, Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...> wrote:

Thanks all for the replies - I have set the ASCOM  Pier Mode to ASCOM Normal and do have Manage set in the Sequencer . Now I'm curious about this - lets say your not taking any images but just letting the scope track - should the mount be doing the flip (through Voyager) right at the meridian or 10 min past the meridian? (seems that is what Voyager wants - a 10 min delay after meridian crossing)?

Peter Nagy

Does it sound like a good idea for a third party software like APCC to initiate a Meridian Flip in the middle of imaging without telling Voyager (or other automation software like SGP)? Wouldn't it be better for Voyager or other automation software like SGP to decide to finish imaging a current exposure before deciding to do Meridian Flip?

Peter

Yes, for sure. I have APCC set to “Just Warn” so hopefully Voyager will take control and do the flip. It should be flipping in about 1 hr – so time will tell J

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Nagy
Sent: November 1, 2019 8:26 PM

Does it sound like a good idea for a third party software like APCC to initiate a Meridian Flip in the middle of imaging without telling Voyager (or other automation software like SGP)? Wouldn't it be better for Voyager or other automation software like SGP to decide to finish imaging a current exposure before deciding to do Meridian Flip?

Peter

Peter Nagy

Tony,

Did you make any changes since your original post?

Peter

Yes, Set mount to ASCOM Normal and told Voyager to Flip 5 min after meridian and abort the image if it is in the middle of one.

Peter Nagy

That looks good but do you really want to abort imaging in order to do Meridian Flip unless you are worried about the scope colliding with the pier? A-P1100 has good reputation for allowing the scope to pass the Meridian for a good number of minutes before the scope collides with the pier. Do you have a pretty long telescope? If so, then I can understand.

I have TEC 160FL which is a fairly longish scope and I can image past the Meridian without ever flipping the mount if the object is South of Zenith. You can easily experiment during the day and find out the maximum Declination your mount can go without Meridian Flipping and not colliding with the pier.

Peter

No, I only set it to abort so that I didn't have to wait that extra 5 min for the exposure to finish - just to see if the flip would occur - and it did, right on time :) So I will uncheck that "Abort" box in the sequence. I'm using a Tak 150 so abit long as well. My main issue is I'm shooting NGC7380 (The Wizard) and its pretty high up near the zenith when crossing the meridian and I have an SX maxi wheel with the OAG on it - gets close to the pier! You can see how close the ultrastar OAG gets.

Wayne Hixson

The only reason I set it the way I did was because I wanted to flip an hour BEFORE the meridian (so I didn’t start pointing under my eaves). Voyager won’t do that. If that’s not your case, yes let Voyager manage the flip. 

On Nov 1, 2019, at 9:44 PM, Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...> wrote:

No, I only set it to abort so that I didn't have to wait that extra 5 min for the exposure to finish - just to see if the flip would occur - and it did, right on time :) So I will uncheck that "Abort" box in the sequence. I'm using a Tak 150 so abit long as well. My main issue is I'm shooting NGC7380 (The Wizard) and its pretty high up near the zenith when crossing the meridian and I have an SX maxi wheel with the OAG on it - gets close to the pier! You can see how close the ultrastar OAG gets.
<R2.20191101_213509793.jpg>

Peter Nagy

Congrats Tony for successful Meridian Flipping with Voyager. You are now on the track for successful imaging with Voyager in the future.

Yeah, TOA 150 scope is fairly long and possibly longer than my TEC 160FL f/7. I assume your TOA focal ratio is f/8 and that makes it slightly longer than my TEC 160FL.

Peter

Peter Nagy

Hi Wayne,

That makes perfect sense. Now I can see the value in APCC for Meridian Flipping before the mount crosses the Meridian and I don't think Voyager can't do that.

Peter

Peter Nagy

Tony,

Can you rotate OAG along with filter wheel 90 degrees clockwise relative to your picture so that Ultrastar does not collide with the pier too soon?

Peter

Bill Long

Its F/7.3, 1100mm. The two scopes are roughly the same length. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Peter Nagy <topboxman@...>
Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 10:21 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

Congrats Tony for successful Meridian Flipping with Voyager. You are now on the track for successful imaging with Voyager in the future.

Yeah, TOA 150 scope is fairly long and possibly longer than my TEC 160FL f/7. I assume your TOA focal ratio is f/8 and that makes it slightly longer than my TEC 160FL.

Peter

Bill Long

The Maxi wheel is gargantuan. For those reading its a 9 position wheel for 50mm filters. Its a monster. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...>
Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 9:44 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>