Polemaster adapter for AP-1600 w/o absolute encoders

Dale Hooper

Hi Everyone,

I tried a keyword search of polemaster and 1600 and I was surprised that I couldn't see a direct answer to this question - so I thought I would ask it.

I have an AP-1600 GTO without absolute encoders.  I'd like to know if I can use the AP-900 adapter for the Polemaster or if there is some other adapter I should be looking for?  There is *lots* of space around the polar sight hole - so it seems like this should work - if the threaded hole is the same size.

Clear skies,
Dale.

Harley Davidson

Dale

The 1600 mount's cap for the polar scope has a much larger diameter than the AP-900 adapter for the polemaster so it won't work. It works fine for the 1100 as seen here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piFWxBcJOJ8

For the 1600 this would work fine:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=550pZhBKeRw&t=18s

In fact you could just eliminate the "mending plate" and mount it directly on top of the polar cap for the 1600 after drilling and tapping for the 1/4"-20 hole.

tony

On 10/30/2019 1:21 AM, Dale Hooper wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I tried a keyword search of polemaster and 1600 and I was surprised that I couldn't see a direct answer to this question - so I thought I would ask it.

I have an AP-1600 GTO without absolute encoders.  I'd like to know if I can use the AP-900 adapter for the Polemaster or if there is some other adapter I should be looking for?  There is *lots* of space around the polar sight hole - so it seems like this should work - if the threaded hole is the same size.

Clear skies,
Dale.

Dale Hooper

Hi Tony,

Thanks so much for the info.  I think I will do like the author of the video and get another dec sight hole cover and drill that.  I'm a bit surprised that QHY hasn't released an adapter for the A-P 1600.

Thanks and clear skies,
Dale.

Cheng-Yang Tan

PoleMaster doesn't need to be on the DEC sight hole. I do this way for both my Mach1GTO and AP1100:

Inline image

cytan

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 10:16:14 AM CDT, Dale Hooper <dchooper5@...> wrote:

Hi Tony,

Thanks so much for the info.  I think I will do like the author of the video and get another dec sight hole cover and drill that.  I'm a bit surprised that QHY hasn't released an adapter for the A-P 1600.

Thanks and clear skies,
Dale.

Harley Davidson

Thanks Dale...a very easy project and you don't need to be "exact" with the placement of the tapped hole. Those are my videos by the way.

tony

On 10/30/2019 11:16 AM, Dale Hooper wrote:
Hi Tony,

Thanks so much for the info.  I think I will do like the author of the video and get another dec sight hole cover and drill that.  I'm a bit surprised that QHY hasn't released an adapter for the A-P 1600.

Thanks and clear skies,
Dale.

Dale Hooper

Oops...I hadn't noticed that you were the author of the videos.  Thanks so much for making them, they are very helpful to us in the A-P community!

Clear skies,
Dale.

Dale Hooper

Paige from Astro-Physics gave me the part number for the AP-1600 dec sight hole cover, in case anyone else is interested in trying Tony's idea of drilling and tapping a spare.  The part number is:  M16148. The charge is $24, and shipping is $7.50.

Clear skies,
Dale.