APCC doesn't call dome closure?

Stacey Mills

I've seen this only a few times but it keeps me awake at nights.  When I got up this morning, the scope was properly parked but the dome was not closed.  ACP was waiting for the "park" command to be complete, which I believe includes dome closure.  It had been waiting for almost an hour.  I clicked the "Close" button on the ACP dome window and it closed fine.  At the end of the closure ACP went on with its shutdown routine as if nothing had happened.  The ACP logs show only that it was waiting for park/closure.  I can post APCC logs if needed.  I'm trying to understand the role of the APCC ASCOM driver in calling for dome closure, etc. I  would be happy if ACP would initiate dome closure independent of parking, but I don't see a way to do that.  Currently, it doesn't start closure until the scope is parked.  I don't have any concerns about anything hitting.

Stacey Mills

The APCC/ASCOM zipped logs are at:  http://www.keplerian.com/APCC-Logs/

Craig Anderson

Hi Stacey,

I’ve seen this exact problem many times with my remote observatory and have chased all kinds of theories (unsuccessfully) as to why it’s happening. My current theory is that my @park sensor is somehow involved, because I think that sensor is what triggers ACP to “know” the scope is parked. I use SkyRoof for roll-off roof control and SkyRoof uses that @park sensor, reporting to ACP. My current theory is that my @park sensor reflector, mounted on the OTA (basically a bicycle reflector) is dewing up and that the dew prevents the @park sensor from detecting the park position. My setup is remote so it’s been a challenge to test that theory but I’m working on it.

Do you use an @park sensor connected to dome/roof control software as well and could that be part of the issue? Also, there is a setting in ACP where you can tell it not to wait for the scope to park if it won’t be hit by the dome/roof. I can’t use that setting because my scope would get clobbered by the roof if the scope isn’t parked, which is why I use the @park sensor and power control switches.

Please let me know if you figure this out because I may be having the same problem.

Thanks,

-Craig

On Oct 28, 2019, at 12:45 PM, Stacey Mills <w4sm@...> wrote:

[...]

Ray Gralak

Hi Stacey,

I'm trying to understand the role of the APCC ASCOM driver in calling for dome closure, etc
Neither APCC nor the ASCOM driver monitors or controls a dome.

-Ray Gralak

I've seen this only a few times but it keeps me awake at nights. When I got up this morning, the scope was
properly parked but the dome was not closed. ACP was waiting for the "park" command to be complete, which I
believe includes dome closure. It had been waiting for almost an hour. I clicked the "Close" button on the ACP
dome window and it closed fine. At the end of the closure ACP went on with its shutdown routine as if nothing had
happened. The ACP logs show only that it was waiting for park/closure. I can post APCC logs if needed. I'm
trying to understand the role of the APCC ASCOM driver in calling for dome closure, etc. I would be happy if ACP
would initiate dome closure independent of parking, but I don't see a way to do that. Currently, it doesn't start
closure until the scope is parked. I don't have any concerns about anything hitting.

Jim Fakatselis <jfakatse@...>

Just as a comment, I made a dew cap around my “bicycle reflector” out of clear plastic to help with the dewing. It’s about 6 in long. Works very well. May want to try that to help also if dewing is an issue you’re concerned about.

On Oct 28, 2019, at 11:37 PM, Ray Gralak &#92;(Groups&#92;) <groups3@gralak.com> wrote:

Hi Stacey,

[...]

Hi Ray,
OK, thanks.  But ACP was stalled waiting for the A-P ASCOM driver to report the scope parked.
Can you look at the logs I've posted at the site I listed above.

Thanks,
Stacey

Steve Reilly

I’ve had issues over time as you probably remember Ray. Several times, if not more, the roof was wide open and way past time for it to have closed with ACP Expert. I’d wake to find ACP calling for the mount to park, find Park flashing in ACP, yet it was parked but never seem to get the message it was parked. The only way I could get it to be acknowledged was to open the ASCOM driver and tell it to park from there. Then and only then would ACP get the message that it was indeed parked although it had been in the park position all along. This hangs the entire roof/doom routine whether it be a weather event or scheduled shut down. The only people safe with this might be those who have their dome/roof configured as “safe to slew anywhere” in ACP. And that’s a guess, not factual.

The worst time I had a roof closure failure was due to a communications loss where it had clouded, should have closed, had parked the mount or at least was in the park position, and never closed the roof. Later we had rain and my system got very wet resulting in the loss of the CP4. I was on squad duty that night so was unaware of the problem till I arrived home at 0630 the next morning. In my case the roof can’t close without the scope parked and I ensure this by means of two microswitches wired in series, one on each axis that is made closed when properly parked and out of harm’s way. The switches simply close completing a continuity signal back to my roof controller signaling it is in the safe position. The trip blocks can be manually placed at each desired location as needed for the proper position. For the record I can say that the CP4 was not configured for Ethernet and serial communications as it is now and Astro-Physics was great in helping resolve the issue with the CP4.

Now if there is even a possibility of precipitation I do not allow unattended runs. Yes I sleep but I’m home and ready to do what’s needed instead of being miles away. It can still end up a disaster but again, if the weather is iffy I simply don’t let it run when I’m asleep. It’s not nearly as efficient but far safer then unattended. Until I raise the roof, lower the pier, and get total clearance for the scope I’ll need to run this way. Once bitten, twice shy. And that’s a big bite…..

So here’s a thought, just as I use the microswitches for a clear signal to my roof controller, would it be possible to use something similar as a fail safe park signal. Instead of relying solely on a software confirmation could it be backed up by a continuity signal? Is the CP4 ever aware when there is a communication loss? It must be if it knows to look and switch to the backup. Therefore could it be programed to go to the assigned park position (1-5) and not park in place thus assuring safe positioning for the roof closure? If that could be done then you could use a failsafe, if that truly exists, sensor to automatically close the roof when moisture is sense just like the cloud sensors do now. This additional sensor would not be relying on software to command the park and roof closure but rather be a standalone switch that activates the roof closure when it senses rain.

Haven’t had enough coffee yet but I hope the idea is clear enough.

-Steve

OK, thanks.  But ACP was stalled waiting for the A-P ASCOM driver to report the scope parked.
Can you look at the logs I've posted at the site I listed above.

Thanks,
Stacey

Ray Gralak

Hi Stacey,

Sorry, I'll try to look at your logs this evening. Just a clarification -- the A-P driver doesn't report park status. The ASCOM client (ACP in this case) needs to poll the driver for park status. That said, there has been a version of the ASCOM driver out for some time that attempts to capture/fix this problem as it has a new asynchronous Park option. I believe I emailed you a link to it a while back. Here is the link to the latest:

https://www.gralak.com/apdriver/AstroPhysics_V2_Setup_5.21.01.exe

-Ray Gralak

OK, thanks. But ACP was stalled waiting for the A-P ASCOM driver to report the scope parked.
Can you look at the logs I've posted at the site I listed above.

Thanks,
Stacey

Craig Anderson

That’s a fantastic idea, I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

On Oct 29, 2019, at 8:23 AM, Jim Fakatselis <jfakatse@optonline.net> wrote:

Stacey Mills

Hi Ray,
Thanks.  Could you briefly explain the difference between the async park and the prior version?  I downloaded it, and enabled async park.

Ray Gralak

It allows the driver to log extra debug messages more easily to determine if the problem is in a client application or the driver.

-Ray Gralak