My Keypad Freezes


Kent10
 

I recently received a new scope, a Tec 200FL, and started using my AP 1100 mount for the 1st time just about 2 weeks ago.  It is working well.  However, the keypad sometimes freezes.  When I push any button nothing happens.  If I shut it off and then turn it back on again it works until next time when it freezes.

Last night, it didn't freeze but there were a couple of buttons that did not work while the others did.  The menu button worked, but the "plus-minus" did not and the "RA DEC REV" button also didn't work.  Again I restarted and everything worked.

Could this be a failing battery inside the keypad?  I am not receiving a low battery message.  Or what else might it be?

Thanks, Kent


Suresh Mohan
 

Hi Kent ,
          I’ve had the issue . In my case the point at which it enters the HC at the base was the culprit .
Suresh


On 25-Oct-2019, at 11:57 AM, Kent10 <kent.moore@...> wrote:

I recently received a new scope, a Tec 200FL, and started using my AP 1100 mount for the 1st time just about 2 weeks ago.  It is working well.  However, the keypad sometimes freezes.  When I push any button nothing happens.  If I shut it off and then turn it back on again it works until next time when it freezes.

Last night, it didn't freeze but there were a couple of buttons that did not work while the others did.  The menu button worked, but the "plus-minus" did not and the "RA DEC REV" button also didn't work.  Again I restarted and everything worked.

Could this be a failing battery inside the keypad?  I am not receiving a low battery message.  Or what else might it be?

Thanks, Kent


Kent10
 

Thanks for your help, Suresh.  I'll check the connections and wiggle them next time it happens.

Kent


Joe Renzetti <axnyslie@...>
 

I have the same problems usually the right directional button or the number 5 so the far right area on the controls. I sent it in to AP and paid their service fee only to be told they couldn't duplicate it. Usually I have to palm mash it hard to get it going then it's good for the night.
Joe

Virus-free. www.avg.com


On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 9:56 AM Kent10 <kent.moore@...> wrote:
Thanks for your help, Suresh.  I'll check the connections and wiggle them next time it happens.

Kent


Kent10
 

Thanks for sharing your experience, Joe.  At least it isn't too difficult to restart.  I haven't been using mine long enough to know the frequency of freezing.  I don't think it is consistent but I am going to try to figure out if there is a pattern.

Kent


Roland Christen
 

The E-W buttons have contacts under the two extremes, so sometimes if you push on the very center of the button it may not register. Push on the end of the button and see if that fixes it.

Rolando



-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Renzetti <axnyslie@...>
To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Oct 25, 2019 4:16 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] My Keypad Freezes

I have the same problems usually the right directional button or the number 5 so the far right area on the controls. I sent it in to AP and paid their service fee only to be told they couldn't duplicate it. Usually I have to palm mash it hard to get it going then it's good for the night.
Joe

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 9:56 AM Kent10 <kent.moore@...> wrote:
Thanks for your help, Suresh.  I'll check the connections and wiggle them next time it happens.

Kent


Roland Christen
 

When you say it freezes, does that mean it stops responding to all button pushes? Normally that is caused by a communication failure, not a button problem. It may mean that one of the connector pins inside the keypad has corrosion or contamination. The keypad can be opened and the connector can be disconnected so you can clean the pins - use fine sandpaper and alcohol. After cleaning I would coat the pins with a corrosion prevention gel which is available from your local Radio Shack.

Rolando



-----Original Message-----
From: Kent10 <kent.moore@...>
To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Oct 25, 2019 4:31 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] My Keypad Freezes

Thanks for sharing your experience, Joe.  At least it isn't too difficult to restart.  I haven't been using mine long enough to know the frequency of freezing.  I don't think it is consistent but I am going to try to figure out if there is a pattern.

Kent


Kent10
 

Thanks Rolando.  Yes when it freezes no buttons work until I turn the battery off, then back on.  Then everything works again.  Sometimes only 2 buttons don't work, specifically I recall the "plus-minus" and the "RA DEC REV."  I restarted and they then worked as well.

I'll check the inside for corrosion/contamination some time.  

Thanks!


Roland Christen
 


when it freezes no buttons work until I turn the battery off, then back on.
You don't have to turn power off, just unplug the keypad and plug it back in. Since the mount was initialized, the keypad will come back on in Main Menu.
It does sound very much like corrosion on the main plug inside the keypad, easy-peasy to fix.

Rolando


-----Original Message-----
From: Kent10 <kent.moore@...>
To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Oct 25, 2019 5:12 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] My Keypad Freezes

Thanks Rolando.  Yes when it freezes no buttons work until I turn the battery off, then back on.  Then everything works again.  Sometimes only 2 buttons don't work, specifically I recall the "plus-minus" and the "RA DEC REV."  I restarted and they then worked as well.

I'll check the inside for corrosion/contamination some time.  

Thanks!


Don Anderson
 

Kent
I suspect Dr Suresh is right. you may have a cable problem. Check for loose or broken wires in the coil cable. It could be a dirty connection where the cable plugs onto the circuit board in the key pad. Also check you plug at the mount. 

Don Anderson


On Friday, October 25, 2019, 02:56:47 a.m. MDT, Suresh Mohan <drsureshmohan@...> wrote:


Hi Kent ,
          I’ve had the issue . In my case the point at which it enters the HC at the base was the culprit .
Suresh


On 25-Oct-2019, at 11:57 AM, Kent10 <kent.moore@...> wrote:

I recently received a new scope, a Tec 200FL, and started using my AP 1100 mount for the 1st time just about 2 weeks ago.  It is working well.  However, the keypad sometimes freezes.  When I push any button nothing happens.  If I shut it off and then turn it back on again it works until next time when it freezes.

Last night, it didn't freeze but there were a couple of buttons that did not work while the others did.  The menu button worked, but the "plus-minus" did not and the "RA DEC REV" button also didn't work.  Again I restarted and everything worked.

Could this be a failing battery inside the keypad?  I am not receiving a low battery message.  Or what else might it be?

Thanks, Kent


Kent10
 

Thanks Don.  I will certainly try what you suggest the next time it happens.  The keypad was purchased a year or 2 ago but I have only used it for less than a month.  Connections should be clean and cables look new so I will wiggle everything around to see if there is a connection problem somewhere.  One time I also got an orange screen.  Everything was orange and there were no letters or numbers.  I unplugged it and plugged it back in as Rolando suggested and that worked.  But I hope I can find the source of the problem so it doesn't keep happening.  Thanks!


Don Anderson
 

Sounds like bad contacts somewhere in the cable. I would get some good quality electronic spray contact cleaner. Pull the plug off the circuit board on the HC and spray the cleaner on both plug and pins. Clean the contacts in the plug on the CP-X controller as well.
Corrosion can happen fairly quickly depending on your local environment.
Best of luck

Don Anderson


On Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 05:14:06 p.m. MDT, Kent10 <kent.moore@...> wrote:


Thanks Don.  I will certainly try what you suggest the next time it happens.  The keypad was purchased a year or 2 ago but I have only used it for less than a month.  Connections should be clean and cables look new so I will wiggle everything around to see if there is a connection problem somewhere.  One time I also got an orange screen.  Everything was orange and there were no letters or numbers.  I unplugged it and plugged it back in as Rolando suggested and that worked.  But I hope I can find the source of the problem so it doesn't keep happening.  Thanks!


Kent10
 

Thanks again, Don.  I'll follow your advice and clean everything up.  I live in Arizona so very dry here.


Suresh Mohan
 

To me this has happened twice ( now I remember ) . I think somewhere in the files section there are instructions to open the key pad and clean the pins , that should fix It  but it didn’t work for me . The first time I sent to AP as it did not solve the problem , they found the cable faulty at the point it enters the HC . The second time it happened I simply replaced the cable and it became fine .
Suresh



On 30-Oct-2019, at 5:58 AM, Kent10 <kent.moore@...> wrote:

Thanks again, Don.  I'll follow your advice and clean everything up.  I live in Arizona so very dry here.


Ted Mickle
 

My keypad had a similar malady, except that the “5” button stopped working.

I removed the back and reseated the major connections; the “5" button worked intermittently thereafter.

When sent back to AP, no overt problem could be found.

A few months later the “5” button went totally inoperative — it was returned to AP, who in turn sent it back to the manufacturer for definitive repair at no charge.

Ted

On Oct 30, 2019, at 01:14, Suresh Mohan <drsureshmohan@...> wrote:

To me this has happened twice ( now I remember ) . I think somewhere in the files section there are instructions to open the key pad and clean the pins , that should fix It  but it didn’t work for me . The first time I sent to AP as it did not solve the problem , they found the cable faulty at the point it enters the HC . The second time it happened I simply replaced the cable and it became fine .
Suresh



On 30-Oct-2019, at 5:58 AM, Kent10 <kent.moore@...> wrote:

Thanks again, Don.  I'll follow your advice and clean everything up.  I live in Arizona so very dry here.


sydney77@...
 

When I was having intermittent issues with my keypad, George suggested removing the back cover and checking the contacts on the large ribbon cable.  Sure enough, the cable was loose but the contacts were still shiny clean.  After pressing it back in everything was fine.