Helix - 200 hours of data

slawomirlipinski@...

Hi all,

Sharing my latest narrowband image of the Helix, taken with my trusty Mach1 controlled by SGP - set up in the afternoon, polar align at dusk and pack up in the morning. Easy-peasy.

Some basic info:

-> The image is a blend of 0.55 HA_SNO + 0.1 HA_HNO + 0.35 HA_HSO. I know, not really scientific.

-> Integration (203 hours):

HA = 194 x 900s + 157 x 1200s
OIII = 124 x 900s
NII = 88 x 900s
SII = 167 x 900s + 22 x 1200s

-> 4" refractor, ICX 814, coastal location 20deg South of the Equator.

-> The background looks a bit gritty, but the data is extremely stretched, since background st.dev in all masters was only about 1 ADU.

Astrobin: https://www.astrobin...q9xl7a/?nc=user

High resolution: https://cdn.astrobin....6_wmhqkGbg.jpg

Thank you for looking

Suavi

Bill Long

Did you use deconvolution on this? The background has wormy bits that are usually a dead giveaway that deconvolution was used and the algorithm set the globals incorrectly.

[...]

Hi Bill,

Yes, I did 4 iterations on OIII and 5 on the rest of the channels. I did see the worms, and these were actually mostly generated by a light noise reduction. I could not find settings that would not introduce these artefacts.

Given that I wanted to show the faintest extensions which only registered less than 1 photon per hour of exposure, there was no way to hide these. Even though the background looks gritty, the data is very clean and st.dev for background in all masters is just under 1 ADU.

Thank you for pointing that out Bill, I may one day try to reprocess the Lum.

Bill Long

Share the unaltered masters if you are willing, would love to look at the data myself and chat with you offline about the best way to work with it. 🙂

Yes, I did 4 iterations on OIII and 5 on the rest of the channels. I did see the worms, and these were actually mostly generated by a light noise reduction. I could not find settings that would not introduce these artefacts.

Given that I wanted to show the faintest extensions which only registered less than 1 photon per hour of exposure, there was no way to hide these. Even though the background looks gritty, the data is very clean and st.dev for background in all masters is just under 1 ADU.

Thank you for pointing that out Bill, I may one day try to reprocess the Lum.

Roland Christen

That is pretty amazing! Never knew there was so much stuff surrounding the Helix.

Sharing my latest narrowband image of the Helix, taken with my trusty Mach1 controlled by SGP - set up in the afternoon, polar align at dusk and pack up in the morning. Easy-peasy.

Some basic info:

-> The image is a blend of 0.55 HA_SNO + 0.1 HA_HNO + 0.35 HA_HSO. I know, not really scientific.

-> Integration (203 hours):

HA = 194 x 900s + 157 x 1200s
OIII = 124 x 900s
NII = 88 x 900s
SII = 167 x 900s + 22 x 1200s

-> 4" refractor, ICX 814, coastal location 20deg South of the Equator.

-> The background looks a bit gritty, but the data is extremely stretched, since background st.dev in all masters was only about 1 ADU.

Thank you for looking
Suavi

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Processing discussion aside, it is a pretty amazing looking shot! I too didn't appreciate this full extent of the Helix before. Alas, way too low for me to try for.

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 at 23:12, slawomirlipinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Matt Dahl

This is an amazingly deep image.  Really cool to see all that faint stuff around the edges.  I’m with Roland and Stuart - no idea all that surrounded the helix.  It is also too low for me at home, too, but something I definitely want to shoot the next time I travel south.

Thanks for sharing!

Clear Skies,
Matt

On Sep 30, 2019, at 11:28 AM, Stuart Heggie stuart.j.heggie@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Agreed on all fronts. I'd have to travel top image it myself

From: ap-gto@... on behalf of Stuart Heggie stuart.j.heggie@... [ap-gto] Sent: Monday, September 30, 2019 11:28 AM
To: ap-gto@...

[...]

Thank you Rolando, Stuart and Matt.

Also, thank you Bill for your very kind offer, but overall I am quite pleased with the result and ready to move on to something else.

slawomirlipinski@...

I have noticed that this excellent IR image of the Helix also has worms - so perhaps we amateurs sometimes set a bar for ourselves and others higher than the pros do?

http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/images/5259-sig12-011-The-Helix-Nebula-Unraveling-at-the-Seams

Dale Ghent

The "pros" in this case are interested in the scientific value of the images they get versus any aesthetic aspects. Sometimes those realms intersect; often they do not.

/dale

On Oct 4, 2019, at 4:47 PM, slawomirlipinski@yahoo.com.au [ap-gto] <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I have noticed that this excellent IR image of the Helix also has worms - so perhaps we amateurs sometimes set a bar for ourselves and others higher than the pros do?

http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/images/5259-sig12-011-The-Helix-Nebula-Unraveling-at-the-Seams

Yahoo Groups Links

Roland Christen

I like your image better by an order of magnitude.

I have noticed that this excellent IR image of the Helix also has worms - so perhaps we amateurs sometimes set a bar for ourselves and others higher than the pros do?

http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/images/5259-sig12-011-The-Helix-Nebula-Unraveling-at-the-Seams

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    ap-gto-digest@...
    ap-gto-fullfeatured@...

thefamily90 Phillips

👍

I like your image better by an order of magnitude.

I have noticed that this excellent IR image of the Helix also has worms - so perhaps we amateurs sometimes set a bar for ourselves and others higher than the pros do?

http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/images/5259-sig12-011-The-Helix-Nebula-Unraveling-at-the-Seams

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    ap-gto-digest@...
    ap-gto-fullfeatured@...

slawomirlipinski@...

Thank you Rolando and Jim.

This attempt at the Helix has been recognised as an Image of the Day on Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/q9xl7a/G/#c396675

I would like to confess that data acquisition was MUCH easier than processing - thanks to Mach1 and SGP working night after night while I could sleep peacefully :-)

Karen Christen

Congratulations, Suavi!  A well-earned honor!  It’s the prettiest Helix I’ve ever seen.

Karen