MACH1GTO VIBRATING

Martin A <martin.artem14@...>

Hello to all,

My MACH1GTO with GTOCP4 latest firmware is suddenly vibrating.. from the BASE..
Not sure what data I can provide here.

Any ideas why ? maybe from  the electricity ??

Any help would be great..

Thank you

Martin

mike.hambrick@...

I have noticed that when the cooling fan on my CCD camera (SBIG STXL16200) is running at high speed there is a noticeable vibration in my whole imaging system. This is with an 1100 mount.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Martin A <martin.artem14@...>

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your email and your kind answer, in the mean ime, I was in touch with Marj from AP, and did get some instructions, I did follow them, but none ithe instructions did work,
and I did by suprise and finally did find the reason or the source of it,  and why my MACH1GTO + GTOCP4 is suddenly vibrating " the vibration is not from the upper part of the MAC1GTO but from the botton the BASE "..

Waiting for further instructions from Marj..

Cheers

Martin

Am Fr., 27. Sept. 2019 um 14:03 Uhr schrieb mike.hambrick@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>:

I have noticed that when the cooling fan on my CCD camera (SBIG STXL16200) is running at high speed there is a noticeable vibration in my whole imaging system. This is with an 1100 mount.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Roland Christen

the vibration is not from the upper part of the MAC1GTO but from the botton the BASE "..
When you say base, do you mean the RA axis or the part below that?
When you say vibrating, do you mean that it vibrates when you bang on the scope and then stops after a few seconds, or does it continue to vibrate like a perpetual motion machine?
What kind of scope is on your mount? What kind of pier or tripod? Where are your counterweights located?
Can you post a picture of your setup?

[...]

Hi Rolando,

Ok, I do not believe it myself, but the vibration is from the GTOCP4 itself.. NOT joking..

I did take every single part attached to / with the mount, and the vibration did stop as I did take off the GTOCP4 from its base " attachment to MAACH1GTO Adatri Adapter "

I did contact Marj, and did get a short notice, I should open the GTOCP4 and see if anything unusual inside it.. or correctly told "  Please open the box and check it out. "

That is what I will do now.. will go now and open the GTOCP4 and see or what causes the vibration..

Cheers

Martin

[...]

Christopher Erickson

There are no moving parts inside the CP4...

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019, 5:28 AM Martin A martin.artem14@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Can you feel the CP4 vibrating when you hold it in your hand?

[...]

Yes, when I put my hands on the CP4 BOX; I feel vibration, electricity or tickle .. and when the CP4 BOX is attached to the  "Pier/Tripod Control Box Adapter for GTOCP5, GTOCP4, GTOCP3 and GTOCP2 (CBAPT) "
the vibration gets more and when I attach the CBAPT to the Adatri Adapter then the Mount base starts to vibrate and so on, until the CCD and the AUTO GUIDER SCOPE.

I did open the GTOCP4 and the screws visible they were loose, did tighten them.. but the Vibration is still available..

Only way to get the mount not vibrate is not to attach the GTICP4 BOX to the ADATRI.. the GTPCP4 still Vibrates, but not the Mount basement..

I really can*t remember when it did start.. at the very start, I though the vibrations were caused by the CCD.. did change the CCD and buy a new one, and the vibration was still there..
and then few weeks ago when the sky was again clear, i did invest time to find the reason and did start to search..

Do not know what to do now..

Cheers

Martin

[...]

You may have an ungrounded power supply which has an internal leak that allows the 60 cycle power to feed thru the CP4 box to the pier and then into the earth. This is a very dangerous situation. Your power supply is most likely faulty internally and you must immediately disconnect it from your 120 volt mains. Otherwise you risk electrocution.

Do me a favor and replace the power supply with a battery and see if the vibration goes away. DO NOT use your power supply again unless you can get it properly grounded and checked out by an electrician!

[...]

Thank you Rolando,

I will do that, the POWER SUPPLY is the same since few years.. but I will do that, actually that was my next action to do.. I am already searching for one other power supply..

Thank you, I will send feedback..

PS! My GTOCP3 is also not available, a ASTRONOMY FRIEND; did ask me to give him my GTOCP3, since his GTOCP3 was nit working also..

But, I will follow your advice..

Thank you Rolandi

Martin

[...]

This has NOTHING to do with your CP4 and will NOT be fixed with a CP3. Use a battery first so you can convince yourself that there is no vibration.

When using a power supply outdoors it is vital that you use a 3-pin plug and not use a 2 pin extension cord. The 3rd pin is a grounding pin which will safely carry any leakage current back to the house ground instead of finding its way to the pier via the 12 volt connector on the CP4. Power supplies can break down internally and leak dangerous 120 volt power to the 12 volt DC pins and thus to the mount and potentially to the person touching any of the metal parts.

Let me know if a 12 volt battery solves the problem.

[...]

Joe Zeglinski

Rolando,

    Would it help isolate the problem source, if Martin would unplug each of the servo motor cables, one at a time?

     A vibration might potentially be caused by a stuck servo motor, a fallen screw/part inside the motor box, or its rubbing internally against its case/mount. Perhaps a wonky servo shaft. Might also explain the electrical tingle he feels from touching the CP4, if the short was caused by a motor power attachment,  mechanical failure, leading to a DC short to the case and mount. Otherwise, if there is still mount vibration when either motor’s power is isolated, then as you suggested, it may likely be a power source leak going to both motors via the CP4, causing the mount to conduct the vibration.

    Pure conjecture on my part, but I would eliminate each motor’s power feed, in turn, since a “mechanical vibration” can only emanate from a mechanical source and there are just these two,  on the mount. Besides changing the DC power supply, I suggest completely disconnecting all accessories on the telescope – just power the mount directly, in case a current leak is coming to the CP4 via some other device/accessory.

Joe

mike.hambrick@...

Hi Roland
Regarding your comment about using a 3-prong plug for the power adapter, what about the Pyramid 13.8 Volt regulated power supply units that you sell ? They only have a 2-prong plug.

Robert Berta

The OP said he is getting tingling when touching anything on the mount, pier, CP 4 box, etc. that is NOT normal and could be an issue. I am a retired electrical engineer that worked many years for an electric utility in California.

I assume you are running AC to a regulated  DC power supply for everything.

First thing I would do....get a phase check device from your hardware store to confirm if your house is wired correctly. This is an inexpensive little block that has the two flat prongs and the round prong like a standard electric plug.  The device will usually have three LEDs on it that will help determine if you have the house circuit wired correctly. You would be amazed at how many houses aren't wired correctly.

A little electrical class first. A standard  plug will have two flat blades one of which is wider than the other. The smaller blade is the hot leg, the larger flat blade is the ground. The round lug  is the case ground and should not be grounded and it definitely is NOT a ground as many think. Its purpose is to connect the case of your device to other device cases so they all have the same "electrical potential". This means that if you touch two different devices you won't get zapped. Often people will find the two flat blades are reversed because the contractor wired the outlet wrong.....or someone will use an old style two blade plug that has same size blades on each side.and plug in upside down. Sometimes people have very old house wiring that only has the two same size flat blades and no round lug.....and they want to plug a modern two blade/round lug device in. They get an adapter from the hardware store that is designed for that purpose. There is a pig tail or sheet metal piece that acts as the round lug when it is screwed into the center retaining screw on a wall plate. If the adapter is plugged in backwards or the case ground is not connected you have a problem.

If you touch the metal of a a device and get a tingle that is an indicator of this issue. You are standing on the ground and the path of least resistance is through your body. When I was young my families refrigerator outlet was wired backward which meant if one of us leaned against the metal door and someone else leaned against the metal edge around our kitchen sink and you touched each other you got a mild shock. Of course being kids we delighted in zapping our family members and friends ;-) That came to an end when I became an engineer and figured it all out. Kind of ruined my brother and sisters fun though ;-)

This may not be the final cause of your mystery bug....but something to check.  I would also take Roland's recommendation to heart. Run everything from a 12 volt battery and see if the problem goes away. You won't get a tingle from 12 volt equipment. But you could get zapped if you are using a 12volt DC to 120 volt AC inverter in the field for some reason. Those are notorious for bad grounds since they don't have one normally and can cause all kinds of gremlins.

---In ap-gto@..., <J.Zeglinski@...> wrote :

[...]

We have actually seen this before on another customer mount several years ago, a 1200 mount operated from a 2 prong plug 120v to 12 volt power supply. He was getting tingling shocks whenever he touched the pier. I asked him to use a voltmeter between the pier and ground and he was getting high AC voltage readings. Using a 12V battery eliminated the problem. Using a properly grounded 3-way power supply also worked. The leaky power supply was removed and he stopped using it.

---In ap-gto@..., wrote :

[...]

    Wise words indeed, “Biker”. Thank you for clarifying this so eloquently,  for many of us.

    Since we are both retired electrical engineers, and based on your obviously far greater professional experience on “grounding issues” ... I wonder what you think about,  how many Astro Accessories designers,  tie their electronics devices DC Logic Ground Return DIRECTLY  to Chassis Ground, which in turn connects to Earth ground via AC/DC power supplies?

    For example:
   When  I purposely isolated my CPx’s “negative” terminal – (by wrapping the power cable cigarette lighter plug’s  side terminals with a slip of paper or tape) -  I have seen sparks fly from the CP3 (and CP4) serial port DB-9 panel connector bodies, or its panel screws, when my serial cable connector even comes close to mating the DB-9 on the panel. As proof,  I have even rung-out the resistance between the DB9’s logic ground pin and that same  connector chassis screws, and they are indeed directly connected – by design !

    Obviously, such a test is not a common thing to do, but I first discovered such sparking,  quite by accident,  when the ground wire inside my AP-900 (or AP-1200) DC power cable’s  cigarette lighter plug had a broken ground return wire inside, and I needed to re-solder it. I wondered why the CP3 still ran normally with that missing and broken connection.

    In fact, even with a purposely “isolated” DC ground  return connection, the CPx’s (and many similar controllers),  run perfectly well, displaying coordinates, data, etc. because the controller’s  DC power returns to its source supply via the CPx case/chassis, the mount, our body standing on dew damp grass,  as well as any other accessory’s improperly wired  DC ground/chassis returns. I have seen the same results – controllers running perfectly well with a disconnected DC Return,  when isolating DC Return terminals on AP’s CP3 & CP4, as well as on my RCOS RC-14.5 telescope TCC controller, and Kendrick’s Premier Dew Heater controller. The only device I have not seen such an improper DC Return tied to Chassis ground, design fault,  was when I ran the same test on my SBIG STL-11000 camera. They did it right, that camera’s case (chassis) is NOT tied to their board’s Logic Ground.

    I’ve warned everyone about such improper grounding danger to telescope equipment, but I guess this isn’t an issue until someone’s very expensive, possibly now irreplaceable,  controller(s) gets fried, and then they wonder WHY. This is how an approaching storm can quite easily blow out any such “astro electronics”,   caused by the  “regional elevated earth ground potentials” entering the devices via a controller’s improperly connected DC Logic Return terminals.

    Of course, the commonly quoted and sound advice is to “completely unplug all telescope electronics”, unless the telescope is being used at the time, and even then, any distant lightening storms are still many miles away. Not sure how such advice works with Remotely operated  observatories.

Joe

---In ap-gto@..., wrote :

[...]

Joe,
Wow....did you cover a lot of sins manufacturers and weekend warriors commit that can compromise their gear or kill it.To cover all this would take a lot of typing ;-)

But you are dead right. The sad part is that electricians often don't get it right and pass on bad information to others. One of my duties was to meet with contractors to discuss electrical safety....low voltage as well as high voltage when working around primary distribution lines (12 KV and higher). I and my partner met several of these guys who argued with us....until we did some demos to show we were right ;-)

For a start I recommend others to get that test block I mentioned above to determine if their house wiring is good and wired correctly. And make sure everything is connected correctly. I am not going to recommend that people take their equipment apart to check chassis ground, etc. as they could likely get into trouble if they don't know what they are doing. But if they ever get a tingle when touching metal cases....that is a sign something isn't right.

Roland Christen

Thanks for your info, Bikerdude.