From: ap-gto@... on behalf of Claude Benoit isphotoman@... [ap-gto]
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 6:28 AM
To: ap-gto@... <ap-gto@...>
Subject: [ap-gto] Recomended guiding software

Hello, I just purchased an AP1100 AEL and have been using MaximDL 6.2 for image acquisition and guiding. I was wondering what most people use for guiding with their AP AE mounts? I have been using MaximDL on my non-AP mount because it can dither. I'd prefer to use PHD but dithering with MaximDL is more difficult and haven't figured out how to do it.

One of the issues I had with my non-AP mount was the dithering recovery time took a few minutes, I never could figure out how to make it quicker. I don't foresee this to be a problem with the AP mount.

In any case this is a question about what software you use for guiding the AP 1100 with AE and why?

Thanks in advance
Claude

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

You can use a post exposure script to dither with MaximDL and the PHD2 Dither App:

https://openphdguiding.org/phd2-dither-app/

Just create a script calling this program and set it as the post exposure script in the sequence setup.

When your script is run Maxim will pass it the full path to the filename of the image just taken.

By parsing out the index of the filename you can then do "dither every N" frames if you want.

Not the most obvious solution but I found PHD2 was a better solution for guiding for me than using Maxim so it was worth figuring out.

Michael Fulbright

I use PHD2. I get good enough performance from it and it works great with the automation software I use ( Starkeeper Voyager).

Hello, I just purchased an AP1100 AEL and have been using MaximDL 6.2 for image acquisition and guiding. I was wondering what most people use for guiding with their AP AE mounts? I have been using MaximDL on my non-AP mount because it can dither. I'd prefer to use PHD but dithering with MaximDL is more difficult and haven't figured out how to do it.

One of the issues I had with my non-AP mount was the dithering recovery time took a few minutes, I never could figure out how to make it quicker. I don't foresee this to be a problem with the AP mount.

In any case this is a question about what software you use for guiding the AP 1100 with AE and why?

Thanks in advance
Claude

Roland Christen

I use PHD2 also, but it doesn't support dithering when I use MaximDL for image acquisition. How does one dither in PHD with Maxim? There is no direct connection between these two programs far as I can tell. They don't talk to each other.

Lately we are trying out SkyX imaging/guiding software as an alternative to Maxim. So far with limited success, but probably because of the steep learning curve. I'm most comfortable with MaximDL because I've used it for so many years.

[...]

Sounds like a solution to what I want to do with our observatory setup.

Hello, I just purchased an AP1100 AEL and have been using MaximDL 6.2 for image acquisition and guiding. I was wondering what most people use for guiding with their AP AE mounts? I have been using MaximDL on my non-AP mount because it can dither. I'd prefer to use PHD but dithering with MaximDL is more difficult and haven't figured out how to do it.

One of the issues I had with my non-AP mount was the dithering recovery time took a few minutes, I never could figure out how to make it quicker. I don't foresee this to be a problem with the AP mount.

In any case this is a question about what software you use for guiding the AP 1100 with AE and why?

Thanks in advance
Claude

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Rolando, I use TSX (and CCDSoft5 + TS6 before that) and my opinion is that it is a superb autoguiding solution. With TSX you get mount and camera control in one (vs. CCDSoft5 which was only camera control hence TheSky6). TSX supports Relays and Pulseguide (and their proprietary DirectGuide for their own mounts).

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 at 12:42, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Dean Jacobsen

Claude, also take a look at using PHD2 and Sequence Generator Pro.  They are well integrated.  I have been using them for a couple of years.

topboxman

Hi Rolando,

Only three software I know of to make dithering work with PHD2 is Nebulosity, SGPro ( http://mainsequencesoftware.com/ ) and Voyager ( http://starkeeper.it/software.htm ) and all of them work well. Disadvantage of Nebulosity is it's not an automation software but an excellent capture software. Too bad Maxim DL does not seem to want to cooperate with PHD2. Not sure about SkyX.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <chris1011@...> wrote :

[...]

Joseph Beyer <jcbeyer@...>

There is also a new software that has recently been developed, NINA. It’s free and has been getting good reviews.  The developers are continuing to add features and improve those already incorporated so there are both stable and nightly released versions available.

Joe

---In ap-gto@..., wrote :

[...]

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi Claude,
   I use PHD2 for my AP1100AE. In order to get good guiding in DEC for this mount, use the lowpass2 algorithm and not the resistswitch which is the default in PHD2 2.6.6. The resistwitch default, according to the PHD2 betas readmes, will be changed to lowpass2 for low or no backlash mounts in the next release.

   The main reason that I used PHD2 is because it's free :)

  Also, I am using APT as my imaging software. Interfaces very well with PHD2 and dithering works.

cytan

Claude Benoit <isphotoman@...>

It looks easy enough, I'll give it a whirl.

Thank you
Claude

---In ap-gto@..., wrote :

[...]

Dale Ghent

On Sep 14, 2019, at 3:40 PM, pnagy@sbcglobal.net [ap-gto] <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Rolando,

Only three software I know of to make dithering work with PHD2 is Nebulosity, SGPro ( http://mainsequencesoftware.com/ ) and Voyager ( http://starkeeper.it/software.htm ) and all of them work well. Disadvantage of Nebulosity is it's not an automation software but an excellent capture software. Too bad Maxim DL does not seem to want to cooperate with PHD2. Not sure about SkyX.
Just to fill out that list, NINA also directly controls PHD2 through its event-base API and one can set a dithering op to happen at whichever interval is desired on a per-sequence entry basis. We even give the option of synchronized (or "cooperative") dithering between two or more instances of NINA and one instance of PHD2 for people who image using multiple cameras, such as on a side-by-side setup.

/dale