Mach2 price and specs are now on the AP website

Conrad Stolarski

Roland,

Is the minimum recommended operating temperature for the Mach2 absolute encoders 32F?  (The same as the standard absolute encoders for the AP 1600.)

I currently have an AP 1600 and I purchased the “extended temp” absolute encoder upgrade kit.  My club’s observing site is 4800 ft elevation (SE AZ) and the average low temp in Dec and Jan is 29 F.  It can easily get down to the low 20’s.  Thus, I decided spent the extra money for the extended temp option.

I was thinking of purchasing a Mach2 in a couple of years to use with my favorite scope, the AP 155 EDFS with a recent 4” focuser upgrade.  My primary interest will be imaging nebula.  I also plan to use the mount at local school educational events.

Thanks,

Conrad Stolarski

Tucson AZ

Roland Christen

I have operated the standard temp range version in my observatory down below freezing to about 10 DegF over the last 5 years on my encoder mounts (1600 and 3600 mounts). A few nights it was zeroF and below for a couple of hours during imaging sessions. I think the Renishaw specs are quite conservative. If your temps are consistently below 10 to 15 F, then maybe the extended temps are for you.

Is the minimum recommended operating temperature for the Mach2 absolute encoders 32F?  (The same as the standard absolute encoders for the AP 1600.)
I currently have an AP 1600 and I purchased the “extended temp” absolute encoder upgrade kit.  My club’s observing site is 4800 ft elevation (SE AZ) and the average low temp in Dec and Jan is 29 F.  It can easily get down to the low 20’s.  Thus, I decided spent the extra money for the extended temp option.
I was thinking of purchasing a Mach2 in a couple of years to use with my favorite scope, the AP 155 EDFS with a recent 4” focuser upgrade.  My primary interest will be imaging nebula.  I also plan to use the mount at local school educational events.
Thanks,
Conrad Stolarski
Tucson AZ

Roland Christen

I just want to clarify that the encoder readheads will not fail or blow up at below freezing temps. Basically the laser diodes that are used in the readhead may lose output light and at some point the signal from the encoder will not be sent to the CP controller. That does not mean that the servo shuts down. The scope will continue to operate but without the encoder corrections to the tracking rate. You can still track, guide and slew as before, but with diminished accuracy. The encoder will indicate that the signal is weak by turning red instead of green or blue.

From: chris1011
To: ap-gto Sent: Sat, Sep 7, 2019 2:22 pm

[...]

I remember that you posted a while back that you operate the absolute encoder mounts below 32F. I couldn't remember the coldest temp that you image.  Thank you for recommending the standard.encoder "temp safe zone".

At our club site, we also have a permanently mounted AP 1600 with the standard temp encoders.  The mount will be experiencing its first winter of operation.  ...We also have a permanently mounted AP 1200 with a C-14 that runs like a champ.

Conrad Stolarski

Terri Zittritsch

Hi Roland,
Since the encoders are a key feature of the Mach2GTO, it would be really nice to have them work to zero degrees as well as the rest of the mount.  While zero is a bit extreme, and it’s rare to start anywhere near zero for me, it’s easy to end up there at the end of some nights in the northern climates.  Most times I don’t start at temps below 15 F and pack up between 10 F and 5 F.   I checked the specifications on the site and no operating temp range is listed.

Terri

[...]

Steve Reilly

Just an old man’s wonderings but could small heaters be used, think dew like heaters, where the encoders are installed for colder than usual times. But then again Roland did say it would diminish results but not enough to even consider not imaging. Now if you were in a climate where this was more the normal I’d think you may need a solution to make it work more often. Just saying out loud.

Is the minimum recommended operating temperature for the Mach2 absolute encoders 32F?  (The same as the standard absolute encoders for the AP 1600.)

I currently have an AP 1600 and I purchased the “extended temp” absolute encoder upgrade kit.  My club’s observing site is 4800 ft elevation (SE AZ) and the average low temp in Dec and Jan is 29 F.  It can easily get down to the low 20’s.  Thus, I decided spent the extra money for the extended temp option.

I was thinking of purchasing a Mach2 in a couple of years to use with my favorite scope, the AP 155 EDFS with a recent 4” focuser upgrade.  My primary interest will be imaging nebula.  I also plan to use the mount at local school educational events.

Thanks,

Conrad Stolarski

Tucson AZ

Roland Christen

We have tested our mounts in the deep freezer (24 hours soak) where the temperature is -5F (-20C) and the mount operated perfectly. Encoders worked fine. I think if your conditions were such that you would see temps drop to -25F on a typical day/night cycle then I would definitely go for the extended range version.

[...]

Roland, thanks again for your response.

Is your comment on -25 F a storage temp issue or just an operation issue?    I typically leave my setup in the garage (roll it in and out) between imaging sessions for single objects.   Where I am in Vermont it doesn’t go to -25 F all that often or even yearly, but it can go there.  I don’t think this would be a big issue.. when the temps are in this range I’m probably not going to be leaving anything outside anyway.      Single digit minus F temps are pretty frequent in the January-February timeframes.      Will all of these things be defined in an operation/storage specification?

Terri

On Sep 7, 2019, at 3:22 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@yahoogroups..com> wrote:

[...]

Except for a few extended range units in Canada and Alaska, we have a large number of encoder mounts that have operated successfully for over a decade now and we have had exactly zero encoder readhead failures.

From: chris1011@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto Sent: Sun, Sep 8, 2019 10:52 am

[...]

All readheads can withstand storage to -25F and beyond, that is not an issue. I can't guarantee that the encoders will operate at -25 unless you get the extended range, BUT the mount will not fail to operate at -25.

[...]

I should have written "we have a large number of standard temp range encoder mounts that have operated successfully for over a decade now and we have had exactly zero encoder readhead failures.

[...]

Roland, thanks much for clarifying.   I don’t work at -25 F so was just wondering whether they needed to be brought inside for extreme temps, but seems not.

Terri

[...]

No, they don't need to be brought in. I've had them outside in the observatory for years and years during the coldest Illinois winters where temps have hit -20F and colder at times. I don't have the extended temp versions on our mounts here.

[...]

Here are the temp records for 2019 in N. Illinois:

  • The lowest temperature at Chicago was -23 degrees observed at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on January 30th.
  • The lowest temperature at Rockford was -31 degrees observed at Chicago Rockford International Airport on January 31st.
We are located about 10 miles north of the Rockford airport, near the Wisconsin border.