INDI/INDIGO/ASCOM/ALPACA

Clement Elechi

Hello all,

I am seeing more discussions about these and I honestly have not understood all of it.

I would appreciate an explanation that would be understood by someone who is not an engineer, but not completely computer illiterate either.

One point that has come up here and there is that AP mounts don't necessarily play well with INDI.  I have a Mach1 GTO.

From a practical point of view, what would be the advantage of switching from ASCOM to INDI/INDIGO for someone who has a simple very reliable ASCOM  setup (Intel NUC/WIN10 outside, WIN10+ RDPWrap inside)?

Thanks,

Clem

============================

My flickr gallery:

Ray Gralak

Hi Clement,

From a practical point of view, what would be the advantage of switching from ASCOM to INDI/INDIGO for
someone who has a simple very reliable ASCOM setup (Intel NUC/WIN10 out side, WIN10+ RDPWrap inside)?
There is no advantage to switching to INDI if you are running your control software on Windows. In fact that would result in a massive loss of features and a vast reduction of compatible client software applications.

However ASCOM only runs on Windows at this time so INDI (or Software Bisque's API) are the only choices if you want to run on a Mac or LINUX-based computer.

That said, there is a plan in progress to allow both INDI and ASCOM interfaces for AP-mounts to be used on all three operating systems.

-Ray Gralak

I am seeing more discussions about these and I honestly have not understood all of it.

I would appreciate an explanation that would be understood by someone who is not an engineer, but not
completely computer illiterate either.

One point that has come up here and there is that AP mounts don't necessarily play well with INDI. I have a
Mach1 GTO.

From a practical point of view, what would be the advantage of switching from ASCOM to INDI/INDIGO for
someone who has a simple very reliable ASCOM setup (Intel NUC/WIN10 out side, WIN10+ RDPWrap inside)?

Thanks,

Clem

============================

My flickr gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/33442240@N06/

My astrobin gallery:
https://www.astrobin.com/users/eluigwe/

Clement Elechi

Thanks, Ray.

Clem

============================

On Sunday, August 25, 2019, 1:48:24 PM EDT, 'Ray Gralak (Groups)' groups3@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Hi Clement,

> From a practical point of view, what would be the advantage of switching from ASCOM to INDI/INDIGO for
> someone who has a simple very reliable ASCOM setup (Intel NUC/WIN10 out side, WIN10+ RDPWrap inside)?

There is no advantage to switching to INDI if you are running your control software on Windows. In fact that would result in a massive loss of features and a vast reduction of compatible client software applications.

However ASCOM only runs on Windows at this time so INDI (or Software Bisque's API) are the only choices if you want to run on a Mac or LINUX-based computer.

That said, there is a plan in progress to allow both INDI and ASCOM interfaces for AP-mounts to be used on all three operating systems.

-Ray Gralak

David

Yes, thanks Ray!!  More options are always better.  Appreciate the effort to make this happen!

David

On Aug 25, 2019, at 8:26 PM, Clement Elechi celechi@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Thanks, Ray.

Clem