Remote desktop software weird behavior

George LaBelle

I have been using TeamViewer (free version) for several years to remotely control my observatory, only 300 feet away.  All of a sudden, this year, I get disconnected in the middle of a session, with an alert that there is “suspicious activity” and I may be using TV for commercial use!?!? You cannot reconnect for 5 Minutes, whereupon you get 5 more minutes before you are disconnected again. I see many complaints about this now, and TV wants you to go to their site, affirm that you are not using it for commercial purpose and maybe they’ll get back to you in a week. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for. For a mission critical application like this, I will no longer rely on “free” software.

GoToMyPC is the highest rated remote desktop SW around, apparently. So, I downloaded the 7 day trial. I ran it through the hoops, APCC, ASCOM V2 driver, The Sky 6, and SGP. At the end of a session, I disconnected the V2 driver, then disconnected APCC. APCC would not shut down, claiming other programs were connected – the V2 driver! I could not get the V2 driver to end, gracefully. I finally killed it, shut everything down and started over. This time, I only brought up APCC, connected to the mount, then connected V2. Same problem, V2 would not disconnect.

Looking over the remote desktop field, I decided to try Remote Utilities. Free – even for commercial use on limited numbers of PCs  (if push comes to shove, it is a one time  $99 purchase). I installed this and ran the same 2 scenarios as above, but the V2 drive disconnects as it should and there was no problem!? Weird. Cannot explain it, but Remote Utilities looks like my replacement for TeamViewer.

Steve Reilly

When and if APCC says it can’t shut down due to a connection you simply double click the driver icon in the system try which opens the driver window. In the left upper corner you’ll see the number of connections. Double click that and end the connection. Easy peasy. The problem is something is either not disconnecting or hasn’t been properly disconnected.

Sent: Sunday, August 4, 2019 8:15 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] Remote desktop software weird behavior

I have been using TeamViewer (free version) for several years to remotely control my observatory, only 300 feet away.  All of a sudden, this year, I get disconnected in the middle of a session, with an alert that there is “suspicious activity” and I may be using TV for commercial use!?!? You cannot reconnect for 5 Minutes, whereupon you get 5 more minutes before you are disconnected again. I see many complaints about this now, and TV wants you to go to their site, affirm that you are not using it for commercial purpose and maybe they’ll get back to you in a week. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for. For a mission critical application like this, I will no longer rely on “free” software.

GoToMyPC is the highest rated remote desktop SW around, apparently. So, I downloaded the 7 day trial. I ran it through the hoops, APCC, ASCOM V2 driver, The Sky 6, and SGP. At the end of a session, I disconnected the V2 driver, then disconnected APCC. APCC would not shut down, claiming other programs were connected – the V2 driver! I could not get the V2 driver to end, gracefully. I finally killed it, shut everything down and started over. This time, I only brought up APCC, connected to the mount, then connected V2. Same problem, V2 would not disconnect.

Looking over the remote desktop field, I decided to try Remote Utilities. Free – even for commercial use on limited numbers of PCs  (if push comes to shove, it is a one time  $99 purchase). I installed this and ran the same 2 scenarios as above, but the V2 drive disconnects as it should and there was no problem!? Weird. Cannot explain it, but Remote Utilities looks like my replacement for TeamViewer.

Joe Zeglinski

Hi George,

At over $700 a seat for “commercial use of their TeamViewer” program, it seems reasonable to just make the contact and explain that you are using it strictly for personal astronomy, and not as a tech support person. I think you may have downloaded a new copy and specified it would be for business – possible error?

The other thing I found, some years ago,  was that if you are using TV only 300 feet away, then DO NOT use the 9 digit user ID, but go into EXTRAS in the menu, and change the OPTIONS, (General, Incoming LAN connections) to the IP address of the host PC (laptop) at the telescope. The 9-digit ID code is fine if your telescope is really remote, off-site, so you have no choice but to trust the internet signal stability, but you need not do that transmitting to the backyard.  That way you aren’t going across the continent, or an ocean, to their head office in Germany for a host login – and then all the way back to your backyard.

The IP method, is local, to just your house. That would explain “drop outs” because you can’t trust the internet to be as stable, as the short hop from your modem/router, rather than the thousands of miles, across many network nodes on the planet to get to TeamViewer base.
Check the other menu tabs for interesting settings, as well. I suspect you just used TV as-is without investigating the EXTRAS tab. It really is a great program, once you discover the proper option settings.

I wonder if that rash of disconnections and reconnections, made it appear as though you were contacting different (business) support clients each time. They don’t know who is at the other end, just that you made a lot of short connections in a very short period – so it looks suspicious to their computer activity

The other common cause of drop outs is running your microwave oven near the client PC in the house (e.g. kitchen ?), or other 2.4 GHZ  such devices ( for greatest range) conflicting with your router signal using almost the same frequency – e.g. neighbour’s security camera, nursery room monitor, cordless phone handset, kids gaming devices, garage door openers, etc. etc. They can interrupt or drop your connection, and then ...  don’t even bother paying any attention to the TV pop-up, saying that it is “Reconnecting” – it always fails. After about 11 minutes, I find it just gives up. The far quicker method, for your client PC, is to simply close the active TeamViewer client Window as soon as you see the drop out, and click on the TV Login quickly again. You will be reconnected in a matter of a few seconds, without losing a heartbeat of the scope’s activity, since it wasn’t even aware that the client's connection was lost – when its scope PC was just carrying on with what it was doing – control, imaging, etc.

If you can get TV working again, it is probably far better to have something you are familiar with using.
Joe Z.

Thomas Swann

If you're only 300' from your observatory, then I assume that your observatory PC and the PC in your house are (or could be) on the same local network.  Is there a reason you're not just using Microsoft RDP to control the observatory PC?

On 8/5/2019 12:14 AM, george.labelle@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Barbara Harris

I also received the same message while using TV a few days ago. I did send an email to let them know that my use was personal and not commercial. While waiting to here from them I have also been exploring options. Will follow this thread for your experiences and will post mine.

Barbara

Steve Reilly

Must be a timing thing as I did get the message yesterday. This isn’t the first time, maybe a year ago I went through the same thing. They did their thing and I was cleared.

Sent: Monday, August 5, 2019 6:54 AM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Remote desktop software weird behavior

I also received the same message while using TV a few days ago. I did send an email to let them know that my use was personal and not commercial. While waiting to here from them I have also been exploring options. Will follow this thread for your experiences and will post mine.

Barbara

Mike Dodd

On 8/5/2019 12:16 AM, Thomas Swann thomas@aperturefever.org [ap-gto] wrote:

If you're only 300' from your observatory, then I assume that your
observatory PC and the PC in your house are (or could be) on the same
local network. Is there a reason you're not just using Microsoft RDP to
control the observatory PC?
That's what I use. Remote Desktop works fine for me. I've also used VNC in the past with good results.

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

Walt Cooney

I have been using teamviewer for years for observatory remote access. I got the message that they believed I was using it for commercial purposes last Monday. I submitted the form requesting they reconsider and have not heard anything. Some amateur astronomy friends of mine also went through this last year. Seems like teamviewer has decided to turn as many private users as possible into paying "commercial" customers. Even if Teamviewer gives me free access again, I can't afford to be disconnected for a week or more at a time at their whim. I've used TightVNC in the past and guess I will be going back to that.

Clearest skies,
Walt Cooney

On 8/5/2019 7:05 AM, sreilly24590@centurylink.net [ap-gto] wrote:
Must be a timing thing as I did get the message yesterday. This isn???t the first time, maybe a year ago I went through the same thing. They did their thing and I was cleared.
*Sent:* Monday, August 5, 2019 6:54 AM
*To:* ap-gto@yahoogroups.com
*Subject:* [ap-gto] Re: Remote desktop software weird behavior
Barbara

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

I've always used VNC variants with good success.

Michael Fulbright

On 8/5/19 9:29 AM, Walt Cooney waltc111@... [ap-gto] wrote:

I have been using teamviewer for years for observatory remote access. I
got the message that they believed I was using it for commercial
purposes last Monday. I submitted the form requesting they reconsider
and have not heard anything. Some amateur astronomy friends of mine
also went through this last year. Seems like teamviewer has decided to
turn as many private users as possible into paying "commercial"
customers. Even if Teamviewer gives me free access again, I can't
afford to be disconnected for a week or more at a time at their whim.
I've used TightVNC in the past and guess I will be going back to that.

Clearest skies,
Walt Cooney

On 8/5/2019 7:05 AM, sreilly24590@... [ap-gto] wrote:
> Must be a timing thing as I did get the message yesterday. This isn???t
> the first time, maybe a year ago I went through the same thing. They did
> their thing and I was cleared.
>
> *From:* ap-gto@...
> *Sent:* Monday, August 5, 2019 6:54 AM
> *To:* ap-gto@...
> *Subject:* [ap-gto] Re: Remote desktop software weird behavior
>
> I also received the same message while using TV a few days ago. I did
> send an email to let them know that my use was personal and not
> commercial. While waiting to here from them I have also been exploring
> options. Will follow this thread for your experiences and will post mine.
>
> Barbara
>
>

Worsel

I used RealVNC for several years without issue. 

When they began pushing their commercial suite of products and offered only a free trial, I switch to TightVNC.  It is truly free. It has 32-bit, 64-bit, iOS, and Android versions.

They all use the same underlying protocol.

If you try TightVNC, be sure to download and install the DFMirage add-on (also free), as well.

Bryan

steven ho

I use Windows remote desktop, a native part of Windows Pro. It's used with Windows10 and Window7 versions. I just changed my connection to the AP1600 to TCP/UDP and couldn't be happier with the performance to my back yard observatory from the house.

From: ap-gto@... on behalf of Walt Cooney waltc111@... [ap-gto]
Sent: Monday, August 5, 2019 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Remote desktop software weird behavior

Clearest skies,
Walt Cooney

>
>
>
> Barbara
>
>

Thomas Swann

Ugh. I forgot RDP isn't supported by Windows Home SKU's.

On 8/5/2019 3:30 PM, steven hoffman stevenhoffman53@... [ap-gto] wrote:

I use Windows remote desktop, a native part of Windows Pro. It's used with Windows10 and Window7 versions. I just changed my connection to the AP1600 to TCP/UDP and couldn't be happier with the performance to my back yard observatory from the house.

From: ap-gto@... on behalf of Walt Cooney waltc111@... [ap-gto]
Sent: Monday, August 5, 2019 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Remote desktop software weird behavior

Clearest skies,
Walt Cooney

>
>
>
> Barbara
>
>

Ross Salinger <rgsalinger@...>

I have set up chrome remote desktop on my remote systems as a free but supported backup contingency if TV takes away my privileges. Seems to work fine.

Rgrds-Ross

On 8/5/2019 5:05 AM, sreilly24590@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Must be a timing thing as I did get the message yesterday. This isn’t the first time, maybe a year ago I went through the same thing. They did their thing and I was cleared.

Sent: Monday, August 5, 2019 6:54 AM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Remote desktop software weird behavior

Barbara

Ben Koltenbah

I'll second Joe's recommendation about using local LAN connections only with TV when connecting between the house and backyard observatory.  This is what I do.  For one thing, it's much more efficient since the connection doesn't go through the entire internet.  Second, the activity may (I stress may) not fall under TV's scrutiny as being a commercial enterprise.

I have not yet had the pleasure of coming under TV's scrutiny, and it may be because I just use it locally within my firewall.  But I do know that TV reaches out to its home website to check for updates.  Knowing that it could happen and would likely happen right in the middle of an imaging session, I have set up Remote Desktop as a backup on one of my imaging computers since it runs Windows 10 Pro.

I just set up another imaging rig, however, and it runs off a laptop with Windows 10 Home, meaning no Remote Desktop here.  Sounds like it would be a good idea to have one of the VNC applications on standby as well!

Best Regards,
Ben

Joel Short

I also have been using TV for years without issue.  About a year ago I received the commercial use suspected message and went through the process to be reinstated.  I had to print and sign a form stating that I was only using for private use.  It probably took 6 weeks before I was totally back up and running with TV.  Then about 4 months ago the same thing happened, however this time it took about 2 weeks to get full use of TV.

As has been said, you can always use TV and the computer's IP address if the computers are on the same local network.  That bypasses TV's servers and thus you don't get the commercial use message.  In fact, this is what I do when I am traveling with no internet access. 

Unfortunately nothing else is as good as Teamviewer.  The last time TV gave me the commercial use suspected message I did a lot of searching for an alternative that was as good.  Chrome remote desktop works well but that requires internet access.   AnyDesk is what I started using as a replacement for TV but grew frustrated with it.  I tried TightVNC but found it terribly confusing.  Bottom line, TV is the best I've found and as long as I can use the IP address connection I'm good to go and will continue to use it.  

joel

Benoit Schillings

Chrome remote desktop.good,free and secure

-- benoit

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019, 11:43 AM benjamin.e.c.koltenbah@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I'll second Joe's recommendation about using local LAN connections only with TV when connecting between the house and backyard observatory.  This is what I do.  For one thing, it's much more efficient since the connection doesn't go through the entire internet.  Second, the activity may (I stress may) not fall under TV's scrutiny as being a commercial enterprise.

I have not yet had the pleasure of coming under TV's scrutiny, and it may be because I just use it locally within my firewall.  But I do know that TV reaches out to its home website to check for updates.  Knowing that it could happen and would likely happen right in the middle of an imaging session, I have set up Remote Desktop as a backup on one of my imaging computers since it runs Windows 10 Pro.

I just set up another imaging rig, however, and it runs off a laptop with Windows 10 Home, meaning no Remote Desktop here.  Sounds like it would be a good idea to have one of the VNC applications on standby as well!

Best Regards,
Ben

George LaBelle

Benoit. One minor problem with Chrome Remote. To transfer files, you have to upload them to Google Drive. I'm on a metered uW Internet link and don't want to do that.

Thanks,
George

Worsel

In addition to the benefits that Joe and Ben provide, there is also no real downside in going from Wide Area Access (WAN) to LAN.  If you ever need to run your observatory from a true remote location, just use your LAN IP address and the port for your local PC, which you can setup in most VNC software.

Bryan

---In ap-gto@..., <benjamin.e.c.koltenbah@...> wrote :

Best Regards,
Ben

Steven Waldren

To connect remotely, I use an SSH tunnel and a dynamic DNS service. On Windows, you can use Putty (links below) as your SSH client. SSH is easy on OSX and Linux. SSH tunneling allows you to map a local port on your machine to a distant port on another computer. All the traffic travels through the SSH tunnel securely. The only change you have to do with the software you normally use to connect on your lan is change the IP address to localhost (same as 127.0.0.1). I also use a dynamic DNS service (www.noip.com) that updates my home computer public IP to a domain name of my choosing (i.e. myobservatory.ddns.org). Now I can setup my SSH tunnel to myobservatory.ddns.org even if my home computer gets a new public IP. Putty and noip.com (have to manually confirm you are still using every 30 days for the free service) are free.

To download Putty:

How to setup SSH tunnel with Putty:

Dynamic DNS service with free tier:

Also, nice thing about SSH tunnel is that you can map distant ports from multiple computers at the same time, so if you have two or more computers that you need during a session, you can map them all to your local computer. 

Best,
Steven

On Aug 5, 2019, at 5:41 PM, bryancashion@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

In addition to the benefits that Joe and Ben provide, there is also no real downside in going from Wide Area Access (WAN) to LAN.  If you ever need to run your observatory from a true remote location, just use your LAN IP address and the port for your local PC, which you can setup in most VNC software.

Bryan

---In ap-gto@..., wrote :

Best Regards,
Ben