The future is coming

Roland Christen

And it doesn't look good for amateur astronomy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/01/science/starlink-spacex-astronomers.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

My recent image of M101 was composed of 8 images, each 10 minutes long. Of the 8 frames, 6 of them have satellite streaks, one has two streaks and one went right thru the center of M101.

Besides that, we are now experiencing more cloudy skies due to higher global temperatures. Warmer air can hold more moisture and there is more evaporation from rising ocean temps.

Rolando

Steve Reilly

Roland,

That’s a horrible marketing technique😉!

Sent: Saturday, June 1, 2019 1:38 PM
To: ap-gto@...; ap-ug@...
Subject: [ap-gto] The future is coming

My recent image of M101 was composed of 8 images, each 10 minutes long. Of the 8 frames, 6 of them have satellite streaks, one has two streaks and one went right thru the center of M101.

Besides that, we are now experiencing more cloudy skies due to higher global temperatures. Warmer air can hold more moisture and there is more evaporation from rising ocean temps.

Rolando

Robert Sinitiere <bobstar9@...>

That’s just great.  Now, multi-billionaires really do own everything, including the night sky!  Looks like I will have to become a “near-Earth satellite imager!🤬🤬🤬

On Jun 1, 2019, at 12:38 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Rolando

Bruce Donzanti

Great example as to when progress stops becoming progress and is destructive..... just disgusting.  

thefamily90 Phillips

Oh come on. Global warming? No, just a hot summer.

From: ap-gto@... <ap-gto@...> on behalf of Robert Sinitiere bobstar9@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 1, 2019 2:41:38 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] The future is coming

That’s just great.  Now, multi-billionaires really do own everything, including the night sky!  Looks like I will have to become a “near-Earth satellite imager!🤬🤬🤬

On Jun 1, 2019, at 12:38 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Rolando

Roland Christen

Soon everyone will be yacking on their cellphones 24-7 anywhere in the world, even while being driven in their self-driving cars. And all that revenue will flow upwards to a few who can buy entire islands (like Lanai in Hawaii) so they can keep the riffraff out. With streetlight everywhere, one could at least escape to a mountain or rural area. With this new form of light pollution there is only one escape - the Moon or Mars. I wonder how long it will be before we are bombarded with outer space billboards?

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto
Sent: Sat, Jun 1, 2019 1:56 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: The future is coming

Great example as to when progress stops becoming progress and is destructive..... just disgusting.  

George OBrien

Since satellite tracks are very straight and should be easily detected in the image field, what’s the possibility of the folks at PixInsight or Diffraction Limited adding a software function to subtract tracks?

George
Sent: Saturday, June 1, 2019 4:21 PM
To: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: The future is coming

Soon everyone will be yacking on their cellphones 24-7 anywhere in the world, even while being driven in their self-driving cars. And all that revenue will flow upwards to a few who can buy entire islands (like Lanai in Hawaii) so they can keep the riffraff out. With streetlight everywhere, one could at least escape to a mountain or rural area. With this new form of light pollution there is only one escape - the Moon or Mars. I wonder how long it will be before we are bombarded with outer space billboards?

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: donzantib@yahoo.com [ap-gto] <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com>
To: ap-gto <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sat, Jun 1, 2019 1:56 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: The future is coming

st_armen2

Aquire as many frames as possible, dither, dither and median combine. That can work do deemphasize satellite trails.

Shane Ramotowski

PixInsight already removes satellite tracks very well.  The ImageIntegration tool has multiple rejection options.  I simply reject anything that is more than 2 standard deviations from the mean, using Linear Fit Clipping.  Enable the rejection masks and you will see all of those tracks that just went away!

When I shot the Flame Nebula, I bet I had 40 geo syncs float through the field.  All went away during the integration step!

And, yes, I shoot lots of frames.  Hard to beat lots of photons for good SNR...

- Shane

Craig Anderson

...and, if you look at the reject high output frame from image integration (I use PI) , you get quite an shot of satellite trails. I did this with M106 and it was surprising to see how many had passed over a few nights worth of subframes :(

On Jun 1, 2019, at 5:09 PM, Stephen F Armen esarmen@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Aquire as many frames as possible, dither, dither and median combine. That can work do deemphasize satellite trails.

Steve,

That’s what I was just thinking…

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2019 1:04 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: RE: [ap-gto] The future is coming

Roland,

That’s a horrible marketing technique😉!

Sent: Saturday, June 1, 2019 1:38 PM
To: ap-gto@...; ap-ug@.....com
Subject: [ap-gto] The future is coming

Rolando

st_armen2

Thinking more about it (always a good thing for me to do : - ), dithering is great to reduce fixed pattern noise inherent in the camera. To deemphasize satellite trails though, if no dithering is used, it may help, due to the signal of the target hitting roughly the same pixels on the sensor each frame. That way, a random satellite trail should be rejected better as random noise in average (median) combining of frames. 

Personally, I plan to continue dithering for now due to the other noise reduction benefits. 

-Steve

thefamily90 Phillips

I can’t seem to figure out how to start a new conversation which is why I am replying to this one with my question. Which battery or batteries do you recommend for powering Mach1, 900 goto and 1200 goto mounts?

Jim

Dale Ghent

On Jun 2, 2019, at 3:35 PM, thefamily90@hotmail.com [ap-gto] <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I can’t seem to figure out how to start a new conversation which is why I am replying to this one with my question. Which battery or batteries do you recommend for powering Mach1, 900 goto and 1200 goto mounts?
You just send an email to the mailing list address: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, of if you're using the groups.yahoo.com web UI, you click the New Topic button.

But to answer your question, I use a set of Bionenno 40Ah LiFePO4 batteries in the Powerwerx battery boxes that have PowerPole, cig lighter, USB, and a voltmeter on them. It's an expensive setup but each box clocks in at 13 lbs and are very convenient - a definite bonus over AGM or marine Pb-acids. The real question is sizing - what is your power load? Just the mount? Mount and cameras? Are there dew heaters or anything? What you need to get generally boils down to 2 factors:

1. Your load, with a little consideration for transient higher loads such as when the mount is slewing or if you power on your dew heaters full blast and then dial them back once the wet stuff has been shooed away.

2. How long you expect to run all that for.

Additional considerations is that no matter what the battery chemistry is, a battery will have lower performance in progressively colder temperatures. The ratings that batteries display are usually derived at a certain reference temperature, usually somewhere between 15C and 22C (60-70F) depending on where the battery is made and the local standards there. Cold temps slow down chemistry. Slower chemistry means fewer electrons moving from anode to cathode. So 12V/40Ah at 70F is not going to be the case when it's 25F.

Some will also say that you should run dew heater/mount and camera gear off of separate batteries to keep noise generated by dew heaters out of the electronics of other devices that share the same power bus. You will not find universal agreement on this subject. It doesn't seem to matter to some, but others will swear that you can see it in the pixels of their images if you tilt your head and stand 7 feet away. On that, take a hefty dose of "it depends".

/dale