PemPro question

Mike Shade

Have a question about training a PEC curve on my 1600GTO.  Running a Planewave CDK 17/SBIG STL6303E camera.  Unbinned image scale is .63"/pixel.  I have always gathered data binned 1x, and have gathered date near the zenith.  Curious if I might have better data to bin 2x2 (1.26"/pixel)?

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?  Seeing at my current location tends to run about 2", sometimes a little worse, and sometimes a little better...

Still running PP 2.8.

Thanks.

Mike J. Shade: mshade@q.com

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

Hi Mike,

Have a question about training a PEC curve on my 1600GTO.
Running a Planewave CDK 17/SBIG STL6303E camera.
Unbinned image scale is .63"/pixel.
I have always gathered data binned 1x, and have gathered date near the zenith.
Curious if I might have better data to bin 2x2 (1.26"/pixel)?
Either would be okay, but the finer resolution (.63"/pixel) should provide more accurate data for PEMPro to work with.

-Ray Gralak

Have a question about training a PEC curve on my 1600GTO. Running a Planewave CDK 17/SBIG STL6303E
camera. Unbinned image scale is .63"/pixel. I have always gathered data binned 1x, and have gathered date
near the zenith. Curious if I might have better data to bin 2x2 (1.26"/pixel)?

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this? Seeing at my current location tends to run about 2",
sometimes a little worse, and sometimes a little better...

Still running PP 2.8.

Thanks.

Mike J. Shade: mshade@q.com

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Vega, the brightest one, is now dropping towards the west. Can it be half

a year since I watched her April rising in the east? Low in the southwest

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

International Dark Sky Association: www.darksky.org <http://www.darksky.org/>

Roland Christen

It really doesn't matter if you bin or not. Pempro will ignore the noise component of the seeing. Just run enough cycles to average out the true PE curve if the seeing is not perfect.

[...]

OK, thanks Ray. I would guess that somewhat longer exposures 2" would be
preferable than shorter say .5"...?

Another question...when I gather data, I try to shoot as high as possible
through as little atmosphere as possible. If I set the star declination
manually in the "settings summary window" will then the program see this as
the star declination? Calibration wizard runs at 0 dec and I wasn't sure if
changing it manually would set it properly after calibration...

Thanks

Mike J. Shade: mshade@q.com

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Already, in the gathering dusk, a few of the stars are turning on their
lights.

International Dark Sky Association: <http://www.darksky.org/>
www.darksky.org

[...]

<http://www.darksky.org/>

Ray Gralak

Hi Mike,

OK, thanks Ray. I would guess that somewhat longer
exposures 2" would be preferable than shorter say .5"...?
It really won't matter much as long as there is a star that PEMPro can find that is not too faint nor too bright (saturated) at the
exposure duration you select.

For the 6303E you might want to configure PEMPro (on the Setup tab) to use a min/max brightness of 10,000-20,000 and adjust exposure
duration appropriately. However, if the duration is longer than 5 seconds try slewing to a different star field.

Also, you should be okay measuring at Declination=0. If you are aiming directly toward the zenith there may be some heat in the air
path from your own telescope equipment.

-Ray Gralak