re greasing worm wheel on 1100GTO original gearbox.

Joseph Lepore

Just wondering I have a 1100GTO mount that I purchased back in September 2014 I was thinking maybe its time to re grease the worm gear are there any instructions somewhere that I could follow?  Also I see in my manual that the grease is Lubriplate 105 is that correct or should I use something else?

I do not want to mess anything up so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Roland Christen

We have a grease kit available. Please call the AP office tomorrow and request a grease kit. Lubriplate is too thin to do a good job on greasing. We have a better grease for the worms.

Just wondering I have a 1100GTO mount that I purchased back in September 2014 I was thinking maybe its time to re grease the worm gear are there any instructions somewhere that I could follow?  Also I see in my manual that the grease is Lubriplate 105 is that correct or should I use something else?
I do not want to mess anything up so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

Joseph Lepore

Ok thanks I will call tomorrow.

Joe

Don Anderson

Rolando
Are you guys still using/recommending the Aeroshell 33 grease?
Don

Roland Christen

Aeroshell 33 is a good grease for worm gears. Don't use Aeroshell 33MS since it has sulfur in it, which eats brass and bronze. It will wear the worms very quickly.

Are you guys still using/recommending the Aeroshell 33 grease?
Don

Don Anderson

OK Thanks
Don

George

Don,

We sell a set of custom mixed greases for our mounts.   Call our office and ask for the Grease Kit.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

From: timo.p.inkinen@... [ap-gto]
To: ap-gto Sent: Fri, Apr 26, 2019 1:46 pm

[...]

Joe Zeglinski

Timo, and group ...

    Here in Toronto, I had a similar problem locating a supplier of AeroShell-33, for my AP-900,  and even SHELL OIL Corp. would NOT sell it to me unless I bought a large quantity, perhaps a shipping palette full of them. They couldn’t figure out why a private individual would need it.

    However, I eventually discovered that I could simply drop by an “Aircraft Maintenance Supply” business, near the local major airport, and buy just one calking/greasing  gun tube of it over the counter. That’s enough for a lifetime supply for 20 or more scope mounts ! The dealer even wrote the “adjusted” expiry date on the tube he had on his shelf stock supply, normally provided to aircraft companies mechanics – since government safety regulations require that aircraft landing grease they use, like this, must NOT be older than 4 years since production. The grease components begin to separate somewhat from its oil base, if it is older.

    So, I suggest you check a nearby airport, even a small one, for aircraft maintenance suppliers, rather than going through the hoops of locating some specialty company, who would sell you some – and their grease supply might even be out-dated - while a major supplier would have fresher grease, with their constant stock turnover. Besides, being a volatile fuel product, it might be banned from quickly shipping to you by air.

Joe Z.

mike.hambrick@...

Another good tip Joe. Thanks

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

From:        "'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...>
To:        <ap-gto@...>
Date:        2019-04-26 02:20 PM
Sent by:        ap-gto@...

[...]

Harry Horlings

All,

Harry

Joe Zeglinski

Thanks Harry,

    Good lead for AeroShell Grease-33.
May be a bit pricey – I paid $20 Canadian a few years ago, for the same thing, so it should be around US$15.

    Of course, the shipping would have to be by land, since it is illegal to ship “fuel” as cargo by air. I’m sure airport X-rays would flag it as hazardous material, if they tried, since it looks and smells (to chemical sniffers) like a bomb.

    If you zoom in on the tube base in that Amazon ad, you will notice the “manufacture date”. This must be an old 2014 picture (hopefully), but make sure what you buy, and before they ship, is no more than a year older than the printed date. The 2014 product would now be a year past its best-before date. Otherwise, you may be getting “stale dated grease”, from somebody unloading their old stock that can.t be legally sold to real aircraft maintenance mechanics.

Joe

Don Anderson

Ok thanks George.
Don

Harry Horlings

Thanks Joe. I saw the date as well, but thought I’d risk it anyway.

Even though Amazon is be a bit more expensive for Prime items, the flexibility to return items, easily, is worth it to me. Worst case, I end up where I started. 😊

Take care,

Harry

Joe Zeglinski

Harry,

    It should be just fine, even if the AeroShell Grease-33 canister were stale-dated.
After all, the wear & tear on the AP mount’s worm gear isn’t nearly the same as on a jetliner’s massive landing gear retraction and wing flaps mechanisms, for which the grease is normally used.

    Let us know if the date on the Amazon-sold tube that finally arrives, actually is out-dated. Wouldn’t want others to go through the hassles of AP mount gearbox  removal etc. for lubrication with less than a perfectly stable grease.

    I recently learned a similar “Amazon Quality” lesson, when I bought a large box of hard to find, Full face (small centre hole) AVERY DVD labels. Turned out that the box of labels was VERY old unused stock, from some music company’s shelf, and the labels backing adhesive was out-dated – according to AVERY specs. They didn’t stick well to the media, messed up the Laser printer rollers.
I think there could be a lot of unscrupulous dealers out there, peddling left over junk, and hiding under the guise of Amazon’s presumably good reputation.
Caveat Emptor, as they say.

    At the risk of muddying the waters,   I also wonder,  if the “AP Special Mount Grease” formulation is even permitted to be shipped  overseas in air-cargo, given that it is potentially a fire hazard, possibly explosive canister in the high altitude unpressurized airplane cargo hold. Might be limited to only local  “CONUS -  courier truck-shipments”. That may be why the original poster can’t get this AP product in Italy, unless the unique AP formulation is mixed right there, on the AP dealer’s store premises, using locally obtainable “lube component” supplies.

    Hopefully, there is a solution.  Otherwise, AeroShell Grease-33 is certainly an AP-recommended, excellent alternative, and a lot easier to source and buy world-wide from a local ... airport supplies  service center.

Joe Z.

W Hilmo

At the risk of muddying the waters,   I also wonder,  if the “AP Special Mount Grease” formulation is even permitted to be shipped  overseas in air-cargo, given that it is potentially a fire hazard, possibly explosive canister in the high altitude unpressurized airplane cargo hold.

I agree that there might be shipping restrictions, and the rest of your points, but I am curious.  Which airplanes do you think have an unpressurized cargo hold?

Timo Inkinen

Well, Google is fine when you use it with site:*.co.uk or site:*.de (and so on) options for limiting the search to such domains only.
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Derzeit nicht verfügbar.
Ob und wann dieser Artikel wieder vorrätig sein wird, ist unbekannt.

On the other hand you will then find these hits for the AeroShell 33 grease:

It woull also be nice to know, if there's some difference with AeroShell 33 in blue tubes...
Naming is the same for both products so I hope there's no difference in contents, because I have ordered the blue tube grease from Transair.co.uk now:
AeroShell Grease 33 - 400 Gram Cartridge
Code : 2833C

All in all, it's not that easy to pick up a suitable grease for my AP 1200 GTO mount outside US.

Geert

It was sent to me in Belgium without problems whatsoever, it is only a small quantity of grease in a small plastic container.

Geert Vdbulcke