re greasing worm wheel on 1100GTO original gearbox.

Joseph Lepore

Just wondering I have a 1100GTO mount that I purchased back in September 2014 I was thinking maybe its time to re grease the worm gear are there any instructions somewhere that I could follow?  Also I see in my manual that the grease is Lubriplate 105 is that correct or should I use something else?

I do not want to mess anything up so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Roland Christen

We have a grease kit available. Please call the AP office tomorrow and request a grease kit. Lubriplate is too thin to do a good job on greasing. We have a better grease for the worms.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto
Sent: Mon, Apr 22, 2019 8:25 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] re greasing worm wheel on 1100GTO original gearbox.

Just wondering I have a 1100GTO mount that I purchased back in September 2014 I was thinking maybe its time to re grease the worm gear are there any instructions somewhere that I could follow?  Also I see in my manual that the grease is Lubriplate 105 is that correct or should I use something else?
I do not want to mess anything up so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

Joseph Lepore

Ok thanks I will call tomorrow.

Joe

Don Anderson

Rolando
Are you guys still using/recommending the Aeroshell 33 grease?
Don

Roland Christen

Aeroshell 33 is a good grease for worm gears. Don't use Aeroshell 33MS since it has sulfur in it, which eats brass and bronze. It will wear the worms very quickly.

Rolando

To: ap-gto
Sent: Wed, Apr 24, 2019 11:01 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] re greasing worm wheel on 1100GTO original gearbox.

Rolando
Don

Don Anderson

OK Thanks
Don

George

Don,

We sell a set of custom mixed greases for our mounts.   Call our office and ask for the Grease Kit.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

Email:  george@...

Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:01 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] re greasing worm wheel on 1100GTO original gearbox.

Rolando

Don

Timo Inkinen

I have been using the bad and ugly AeroShell 33MS grease in my old (2010 something) AP 1200 GTO mount (since September 2017). I know the basic AeroShell 33 has been widely used with AP mounts, but its' availability has been quite poor for us European AP users couple of years ago.

So sadly, couple of years ago, that specific AeroShell 33 grease type was not readily available from distributors and there was also some web mess-up with the AeroShell 33MS type (renamed AeroShell 64, which was over then readily available). In these grease discussions both AeroShell 33 types got mixed up with each other over time and so I eventually turned up using that harmful AeroShell 33MS type. A bad mistake, as it seems afterwards...

After reading your message for the harms of 33 MS grease type I have now ordered AeroShell 33 grease type from UK:

The winters in Finland have been quite cloudy, so my mount hasn't had that much goto usage since the 33MS grease type was put there in the mount gears. But what kind of wear and tear I will see in those AP 1200 gear box gears, when I will open the gear boxes up for re-greasing my mount gears?

I asked from Baader (EU dealer for AP mounts) for this "AP Grease Kit" you have been promoting lately.
They did not have that kit available and suggested these grease types instead:

I told them that I ended up ordering AeroShell 33 instead, because I have read opinions presented here in this thread and the older greasing thread for the same question:

Hopefully you will manage to get that special "AP Grease Kit" available into European AP dealers too.

Br, Timo

Roland Christen

But what kind of wear and tear I will see in those AP 1200 gear box gears, when I will open the gear boxes up for re-greasing my mount gears?
Any gears that have brass or bronze should not use grease with sulphor. MS means molybdenum-disulphide. That stuff eats bronze and brass.

Rolando

To: ap-gto Sent: Fri, Apr 26, 2019 1:46 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: re greasing worm wheel on 1100GTO original gearbox.

I have been using the bad and ugly AeroShell 33MS grease in my old (2010 something) AP 1200 GTO mount (since September 2017). I know the basic AeroShell 33 has been widely used with AP mounts, but its' availability has been quite poor for us European AP users couple of years ago.

So sadly, couple of years ago, that specific AeroShell 33 grease type was not readily available from distributors and there was also some web mess-up with the AeroShell 33MS type (renamed AeroShell 64, which was over then readily available). In these grease discussions both AeroShell 33 types got mixed up with each other over time and so I eventually turned up using that harmful AeroShell 33MS type. A bad mistake, as it seems afterwards...

After reading your message for the harms of 33 MS grease type I have now ordered AeroShell 33 grease type from UK:

The winters in Finland have been quite cloudy, so my mount hasn't had that much goto usage since the 33MS grease type was put there in the mount gears. But what kind of wear and tear I will see in those AP 1200 gear box gears, when I will open the gear boxes up for re-greasing my mount gears?

I asked from Baader (EU dealer for AP mounts) for this "AP Grease Kit" you have been promoting lately.
They did not have that kit available and suggested these grease types instead:

I told them that I ended up ordering AeroShell 33 instead, because I have read opinions presented here in this thread and the older greasing thread for the same question:

Hopefully you will manage to get that special "AP Grease Kit" available into European AP dealers too.

Br, Timo

Joe Zeglinski

Timo, and group ...

Here in Toronto, I had a similar problem locating a supplier of AeroShell-33, for my AP-900,  and even SHELL OIL Corp. would NOT sell it to me unless I bought a large quantity, perhaps a shipping palette full of them. They couldn’t figure out why a private individual would need it.

However, I eventually discovered that I could simply drop by an “Aircraft Maintenance Supply” business, near the local major airport, and buy just one calking/greasing  gun tube of it over the counter. That’s enough for a lifetime supply for 20 or more scope mounts ! The dealer even wrote the “adjusted” expiry date on the tube he had on his shelf stock supply, normally provided to aircraft companies mechanics – since government safety regulations require that aircraft landing grease they use, like this, must NOT be older than 4 years since production. The grease components begin to separate somewhat from its oil base, if it is older.

So, I suggest you check a nearby airport, even a small one, for aircraft maintenance suppliers, rather than going through the hoops of locating some specialty company, who would sell you some – and their grease supply might even be out-dated - while a major supplier would have fresher grease, with their constant stock turnover. Besides, being a volatile fuel product, it might be banned from quickly shipping to you by air.

Joe Z.

mike.hambrick@...

Another good tip Joe. Thanks

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

From:        "'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...>
To:        <ap-gto@...>
Date:        2019-04-26 02:20 PM
Subject:        [ap-gto] Re: re greasing worm wheel on 1100GTO original gearbox.
Sent by:        ap-gto@...

Timo, and group ...

Here in Toronto, I had a similar problem locating a supplier of AeroShell-33, for my AP-900,  and even SHELL OIL Corp. would NOT sell it to me unless I bought a large quantity, perhaps a shipping palette full of them. They couldn’t figure out why a private individual would need it.

However, I eventually discovered that I could simply drop by an “Aircraft Maintenance Supply” business, near the local major airport, and buy just one calking/greasing  gun tube of it over the counter. That’s enough for a lifetime supply for 20 or more scope mounts ! The dealer even wrote the “adjusted” expiry date on the tube he had on his shelf stock supply, normally provided to aircraft companies mechanics – since government safety regulations require that aircraft landing grease they use, like this, must NOT be older than 4 years since production. The grease components begin to separate somewhat from its oil base, if it is older.

So, I suggest you check a nearby airport, even a small one, for aircraft maintenance suppliers, rather than going through the hoops of locating some specialty company, who would sell you some – and their grease supply might even be out-dated - while a major supplier would have fresher grease, with their constant stock turnover. Besides, being a volatile fuel product, it might be banned from quickly shipping to you by air.

Joe Z.

Harry Horlings

All,

Harry

Joe Zeglinski

Thanks Harry,

Good lead for AeroShell Grease-33.
May be a bit pricey – I paid $20 Canadian a few years ago, for the same thing, so it should be around US$15.

Of course, the shipping would have to be by land, since it is illegal to ship “fuel” as cargo by air. I’m sure airport X-rays would flag it as hazardous material, if they tried, since it looks and smells (to chemical sniffers) like a bomb.

If you zoom in on the tube base in that Amazon ad, you will notice the “manufacture date”. This must be an old 2014 picture (hopefully), but make sure what you buy, and before they ship, is no more than a year older than the printed date. The 2014 product would now be a year past its best-before date. Otherwise, you may be getting “stale dated grease”, from somebody unloading their old stock that can.t be legally sold to real aircraft maintenance mechanics.

Joe

Don Anderson

Ok thanks George.
Don

Harry Horlings

Thanks Joe. I saw the date as well, but thought I’d risk it anyway.

Even though Amazon is be a bit more expensive for Prime items, the flexibility to return items, easily, is worth it to me. Worst case, I end up where I started. 😊

Take care,

Harry

Joe Zeglinski

Harry,

It should be just fine, even if the AeroShell Grease-33 canister were stale-dated.
After all, the wear & tear on the AP mount’s worm gear isn’t nearly the same as on a jetliner’s massive landing gear retraction and wing flaps mechanisms, for which the grease is normally used.

Let us know if the date on the Amazon-sold tube that finally arrives, actually is out-dated. Wouldn’t want others to go through the hassles of AP mount gearbox  removal etc. for lubrication with less than a perfectly stable grease.

I recently learned a similar “Amazon Quality” lesson, when I bought a large box of hard to find, Full face (small centre hole) AVERY DVD labels. Turned out that the box of labels was VERY old unused stock, from some music company’s shelf, and the labels backing adhesive was out-dated – according to AVERY specs. They didn’t stick well to the media, messed up the Laser printer rollers.
I think there could be a lot of unscrupulous dealers out there, peddling left over junk, and hiding under the guise of Amazon’s presumably good reputation.
Caveat Emptor, as they say.

At the risk of muddying the waters,   I also wonder,  if the “AP Special Mount Grease” formulation is even permitted to be shipped  overseas in air-cargo, given that it is potentially a fire hazard, possibly explosive canister in the high altitude unpressurized airplane cargo hold. Might be limited to only local  “CONUS -  courier truck-shipments”. That may be why the original poster can’t get this AP product in Italy, unless the unique AP formulation is mixed right there, on the AP dealer’s store premises, using locally obtainable “lube component” supplies.

Hopefully, there is a solution.  Otherwise, AeroShell Grease-33 is certainly an AP-recommended, excellent alternative, and a lot easier to source and buy world-wide from a local ... airport supplies  service center.

Joe Z.

W Hilmo

At the risk of muddying the waters,   I also wonder,  if the “AP Special Mount Grease” formulation is even permitted to be shipped  overseas in air-cargo, given that it is potentially a fire hazard, possibly explosive canister in the high altitude unpressurized airplane cargo hold.

I agree that there might be shipping restrictions, and the rest of your points, but I am curious.  Which airplanes do you think have an unpressurized cargo hold?

Timo Inkinen

Well, Google is fine when you use it with site:*.co.uk or site:*.de (and so on) options for limiting the search to such domains only.
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Derzeit nicht verfügbar.
Ob und wann dieser Artikel wieder vorrätig sein wird, ist unbekannt.

On the other hand you will then find these hits for the AeroShell 33 grease:

It woull also be nice to know, if there's some difference with AeroShell 33 in blue tubes...
Naming is the same for both products so I hope there's no difference in contents, because I have ordered the blue tube grease from Transair.co.uk now:
AeroShell Grease 33 - 400 Gram Cartridge
Code : 2833C

All in all, it's not that easy to pick up a suitable grease for my AP 1200 GTO mount outside US.

Geert

It was sent to me in Belgium without problems whatsoever, it is only a small quantity of grease in a small plastic container.

Geert Vdbulcke

Van: ap-gto@...
Verzonden: zaterdag 27 april 2019 12:57
Aan: ap-gto@...
Onderwerp: RE: [ap-gto] Re: re greasing worm wheel on 1100GTO original gearbox.

At the risk of muddying the waters,   I also wonder,  if the “AP Special Mount Grease” formulation is even permitted to be shipped  overseas in air-cargo, given that it is potentially a fire hazard, possibly explosive canister in the high altitude unpressurized airplane cargo hold.

I agree that there might be shipping restrictions, and the rest of your points, but I am curious.  Which airplanes do you think have an unpressurized cargo hold?

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Wade,

To answer your question, I Googled the question – “Are aircraft cargo holds pressurized? “, and got several answers, about temperature and pressure conditions in cargo. There are two cargo holds - one part right behind the crew cabin,  may indeed be made liveable, for pets, and live (lobsters) restaurant food shipments. The “aft cargo” hold isn’t likely to be – no need for the extra T & P conditioning load for “dead-weight” items. Meanwhile, sometimes “stowaways” survive such high altitude conditions when they stuff themselves into aircraft wheel wells.

As for the “loosely capped” ASG-33 lube grease tubes, I wouldn’t want to risk travelling on a plane, not knowing if a dealer shipped this (Amazon purchase) product in the aft cargo, and whether the high altitude pressure drop causes outgassing and pops the lube cap. There probably are cargo fire extinguishers in there, if it should ignite. (Somewhat, kidding ?)

Anyway, such products being shipped must surely require a signature, declaring that they are not hazardous, but then it is a matter of the shipper’s opinion.
    I’ve probably exhausted the case for lube shipping concerns here and I am confident AP takes the appropriate common sense measures and precautions,  to safely ship its special lube, where possible. So perhaps, we shouldn’t expect the lube product to be made generally available everywhere. Wonder if even the CONUS postal services or truck transports, have any special concerns or restrictions, handling such materials.

As for where potentially combustible petro-chemicals might be “unknowingly” stowed, as cargo or luggage - Hard to predict, but surely hazardous or out-gassing  products wouldn’t share the same pressured and temperature controlled,  animals (liveable) forward cargo area. Here below, are two of the search results:

F.Y.I. – Joe

are aircraft cargo holds pressurized?
The round shape of the fuselage outline is very efficient at withstanding pressure. Because of that, everything within the fuselage shape is pressurized. This includes the cargo hold below.
Only cargo holds located behind the aft pressure bulkhead would be unpressurized, and these are mainly found in smaller aircraft.Aug 21, 2014
Are “luggage compartments” on planes pressurized?
Yes, they are both pressurized and temp controlled, because of some of the "live" cargo they carry (pets, live animals for restaurant menus). Also, some of the larger wide-body aircraft have galley facilities in the cargo hold area that flight attendants have to access during flight.