From: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ap-gto@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019 8:52 PM
To: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ap-gto] APCC Pro 1.7.1.1 Orphaned Process

I have noticed that after APCC Pro closes, there is still an orphaned APCC process running. The user interface
window does close, but there is an APCC process running that must be closed with task manager. Unless I kill it
in task manager, APCC cannot be started again. I'm running version 1.7.1.1 on Windows 10 Pro.

-Dan

Danny Flippo

Hi Ray,

I uploaded a zip containing the log file and a screenshot showing the process still running a few minutes after closing the application.  The file is in the dflipp1 folder in the files section.

Its not really a slow PC.  Core i5 3.3GHz with an SSD and 8GB of memory.

One thing that has changed recently is I wrote an ASCOM observing conditions driver that polls a REST service on my local web server for local conditions.  I haven't found anything indicating that the driver is blocking APCC's shutdown but I will continue investigating that.

Thanks,
Dan

Ray Gralak

Hi Dan,

Core i5 3.3GHz with an SSD and 8GB of memory.
SSD's can slow down and have dismal performance in some cases.

That said, try disconnecting your ObservingConditions driver from APCC and see if the problem goes away.

-Ray Gralak

I uploaded a zip containing the log file and a screenshot showing the process still running a few minutes after
closing the application. The file is in the dflipp1 folder in the files section.

Its not really a slow PC. Core i5 3.3GHz with an SSD and 8GB of memory.

One thing that has changed recently is I wrote an ASCOM observing conditions driver that polls a REST service
on my local web server for local conditions. I haven't found anything indicating that the driver is blocking APCC's
shutdown but I will continue investigating that.

Thanks,
Dan

Ray Gralak

Hi Danny,

I uploaded a zip containing the log file and a screenshot showing the process still running a few minutes after
closing the application. The file is in the dflipp1 folder in the files section.
I don't see anything unusual in your log file. I thought that maybe APCC was not releasing the ObservingConditions driver but I double checked using the ASCOM ObservingConditions simulator and APCC exits correctly.

That said, if APCC exits normally after you disconnectyour ObservingConditions driver from APCC it may be that your driver is not releasing itself properly when APCC disconnects from it.

-Ray Gralak

I uploaded a zip containing the log file and a screenshot showing the process still running a few minutes after
closing the application. The file is in the dflipp1 folder in the files section.

Its not really a slow PC. Core i5 3.3GHz with an SSD and 8GB of memory.

One thing that has changed recently is I wrote an ASCOM observing conditions driver that polls a REST service
on my local web server for local conditions. I haven't found anything indicating that the driver is blocking APCC's
shutdown but I will continue investigating that.

Thanks,
Dan

Danny Flippo

Ray, I found the issue.  My driver wasn't terminating a thread properly.  Sorry for the false alarm.

-Dan