Communications Error Messages in AP Ascom Driver

Don Anderson

I set up my AP 900 GOTO CP3 with version V firmware rig in my basement last night to do some software and firmware upgrades last night on my two laptops (main unit Lenovo i7 Win 10 home with 8 gig ram, backup unit Sony Vaio i5 Win 7 pro with 4 gig ram. I started with my old but trusty Win 7 Pro Sony Vaio laptop which has worked trouble free for years. I updated the AP Ascom driver to the latest 5.20.09 version and did some firmware updates on my focuser hub. When I started everything up, everything worked fine but after a minute or so I got the flashing yellow panel at the top of the driver indicating communication errors. I opened the driver extension windows to the final one and did a reset. Again after a minute or so the yellow warning flashed again. I then rebooted the computer and had the same result. I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling. Same problem. I rolled back to different older versions (5.20.08 then 5.10.02) of the driver but had the same problem. I then tried my Lenovo and had the same communication error warning popping up in the driver every minute or so.

My current hardware configuration is to run the mount through a Keyspan Triplite 19HS (FTDI) singe port USB to serial converter connected to a 7 port powered USB hub to which the mount, focuser, main and guide cameras and filter wheel are connected. I connect the powered hub to the laptop with either a 10' usb cable or a 65' powered usb cable depending on where I am. I was using the 10' cable last night. The mount has its own dedicated pyramid 5 amp power supply.

The above setup has has worked trouble free for years. However, suspecting a hub problem, I disconnected the hub and all accessory equipment and ran the mount directly to the laptop via the Keyspan 19HS serial to USB converter. I had no other device connected at this point. Same problem occurred. I then swapped out the existing Keyspan unit with a new spare unit that I had, and tried a different 10' USB cable as well. Same problem with communication error messages popping up after about a minute. Even with the communication errors, things seem to work ok though. Mount slews to objects in both The SKY 6 and MaximDL 6.08. I then tried cleaning all the relevant electrical plugs and contacts with contact cleaner. Didn't help.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Don Anderson

mogollonobs

Hi Don,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. You using the current ASCOM Platform 6.4SP1? The reason I ask is that I had an issue, although different, before I updated the platform.

Hope you get it sorted out,
Keith

Don Anderson

Hi Keith
Yes I am using the latest Ascom platform. As I said in my post, everything was working well last November when I used my rig last. It's strange that both the Win 7 and Win 10 laptops have the same problem. Both were working well last fall. Here is another twist to the story. I just finished setting up all my software on my old desktop machine which has Win 10 Pro installed. The driver works perfectly on it! I checked the driver config settings and they are the same on all three machines. Go figure!
Don

Ray Gralak

Hi Don,

Any ideas what's wrong?
Try increasing the timeout value in the driver to see if that makes a difference. Also, try using a different USB port on your laptop if you can.

If the problem still happens, take a look at your log file and search for the words "error", then "exception". That might provide a clue as to what commands are timing out.

-Ray Gralak

[...]

I tried increasing the timeout to 500. Didn't solve the problem. I also tried a different USB port. No change.
I then went in and looked at one of the logs. I see two error messages that keep popping up.
First is:
Telescope: Warning: Retransmits: then a number
The second which follows the telescope warning retransmits is:
Driver: Error: Comandboot : No response or bad response:  ' : APCC#' , Response= ' '  -> Retrying!
Then you get three lines under "info" Command Clear ()
                                                  "info" Remove 0 bytes in 266 ticks
  "info"  Commandboot  TX=:APCC# '
Then you get the Warning Retransmit: then a number again followed by the line

Driver: Error: Comandboot: No response or bad response: APCC#' , Response= ' ' -> Giving up!
This series or messages will repeat throughout the driver log at appros 1 minute intervals the entire log. I assume the Command Clear () entry is when I clear the error in the driver.
It looks to me like the driver is looking for APCC which I don't have.
Hope this helps

Ray Gralak

It looks to me like the driver is looking for APCC which I don't have.
Hope this helps
Yea... just uncheck the APCC checkbox in the driver's setup dialog. If you don't use APCC you don't want that option enabled!

-Ray Gralak

[...]

That was the ticket Ray! Thanks! I never noticed the checkbox being checked. Does that box get checked automatically when the driver is installed or updated?
Don

Ray Gralak

Hi Don,

That was the ticket Ray! Thanks! I never noticed the checkbox being checked. Does that box get checked
automatically when the driver is installed or updated?
I would have to double check but I don't think so.

However, if you ever had an APCC trial then APCC can automatically set it under certain conditions. Or, if you copied the settings file from another computer it might have been set on the previous computer.

-Ray Gralak

That was the ticket Ray! Thanks! I never noticed the checkbox being checked. Does that box get checked
automatically when the driver is installed or updated?
Don

George

Don,

As we discussed via email.   Sometimes the vibration of shipping can loosen connections.

I’m glad that reseating the upper electronic board in the CP4 fixed the problems.   The connector just had to be snapped into place.   Now it’s time to have some fun!   Enjoy!

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

[...]

Good morning Ray
No. I have never had APCC and didn't copy any files to the two laptops when I set them up several years ago Both had clean installations that have worked well. I simply did an update of the driver on both laptops. I never touched the driver configuration window on either machine during this last driver update. As part of my troubleshooting of the problem, I installed the Ascom platform and AP driver on an old desktop machine to see what would happen. That machine never had the problem it worked properly.
Regards
Don

Don Anderson

Good morning George
I think you may have me mixed up with Joe and his CP4 problem. Ray and I did figure my problem out. Everything is working well again.
Cheers
Don

George

Don,

Oops!   I plead old and befuddled.   <G>

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

I think you may have me mixed up with Joe and his CP4 problem. Ray and I did figure my problem out. Everything is working well again.

Cheers

Don

Don Anderson

I hear ya George! I'm there as well!