AP1200 won't connect to the computer after computer reboot

Dhaval

Hello all,

I have 2 set ups in a remote observatory - one using an AP900 and the other using an AP1200. While the AP900 set up is not having any issues connecting to the computer and such, I do have issues connecting the AP1200 to the computer specifically after a computer reboot. Every time I reboot the computer, I have to ask someone at the observatory to unplug the USB cable from the computer and plug it back in. Once that is done, the mount will connect and function as expected. Now, I do realize that both mounts  are connected to separate computers, so this has to be a computer specific issue. Here's the topology of how the mount is connected to the computer -

From the mount, A DB9 straight through cable is used to connect to a FTDI chipset USB cable which then goes to the computer. Not going through a USB hub, so this is not a USB hub issue as well.

Last night, I reset some of the power settings for the computer after reading this particular article - however, that does not seem to have worked as well (I haven't looked at the UEFI settings given that I am remote, so if this is truly a power settings, issue, that would be what is causing it).

Other things to note - I am using APCC Pro/AP V2 driver to connect the mount. The computer is running Windows 10 Pro and is an Asus K55 laptop. I am plugged in to a USB3.0 port on the computer. APCC Pro is creating a virtual port for me, but I believe it is physically connected through "com port 3" - not sure if that matters, but still. Lastly, I have always had this issue - since day 1, but I have somehow managed to make this work by ensuring I am not rebooting my PC unnecessarily.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Do please ask for any other information that I may have missed.

Thanks,

Dhaval

Ray Gralak

Hi Dhaval,

Do please ask for any other information that I may have missed.
1. Are you using a GTOCP3 or GTOCP4?
2. Are you using a USB/Serial converter?
3. Have you tried updating the drivers for your computer, and USB/Serial converter if you are using one?
4. After you reboot and before connecting APCC does device manager show the device on COM3?

-Ray Gralak

I have 2 set ups in a remote observatory - one using an AP900 and the other using an AP1200. While the
AP900 set up is not having any issues connecting to the computer and such, I do have issues connecting the
AP1200 to the computer specifically after a computer reboot. Every time I reboot the computer, I have to ask
someone at the observatory to unplug the USB cable from the computer and plug it back in. Once that is done,
the mount will connect and function as expected. Now, I do realize that both mounts are connected to separate
computers, so this has to be a computer specific issue. Here's the topology of how the mount is connected to
the computer -

From the mount, A DB9 straight through cable is used to connect to a FTDI chipset USB cable which then goes
to the computer. Not going through a USB hub, so this is not a USB hub issue as well.

< p>Last night, I reset some of the power settings for the computer after reading this particular article
<https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/634982/usb-device-not-recognized-on-restart/> - however, that
[...]

Hello Ray,
1) As soon as I hit submit, I knew I should have added that I am using GTOCP3...so yes, it is a GTOCP3

2) Yes, I am using a USB to serial converter - the one that is sold by Astro-Physics.

3) I am not sure what drivers that would be - do you mean the FTDI drivers? When I first installed the system, they were the latest version at the time. Like I mentioned in my message, I have had this issue since day 1. I can still try to update the drivers and ensure that the version is not an issue.

4) I can check if a device is detected on COM3 or not, question - what would the device name be?

Thanks,
Dhaval

Dhaval

Ray,
I just checked, I have the latest FTDI drivers - 2.12.28.

Thanks,
Dhaval

Ray Gralak

Hi Dhaval,

4) I can check if a device is detected on COM3 or not, question - what would the device name be?
Yes, please check after a reboot if COM3 is in Device manager under "Ports (COM & LPT)".

Also, when is APCC started? Is it manually after you log into the computer? Or is it started automatically in some way?

-Ray Gralak

1) As soon as I hit submit, I knew I should have added that I am using GTOCP3...so yes, it is a GTOCP3

2) Yes, I am using a USB to serial converter - the one that is sold by Astro-Physics.

3) I am not sure what drivers that would be - do you mean the FTDI drivers? When I first installed the system,
they were the latest version at the time. Like I mentioned in my message, I have had this issue since day 1. I
can still try to update the drivers and ensure that the version is not an issue.

4) I can check if a device is detected on COM3 or not, question - what would the device name be?

Thanks,
Dhaval

Dhaval

Hi Ray,
I just did a reboot for the computer - Under Ports (COM and LPT), I see the same COM port that APCC uses to connect the mount (I believe I had said I use COM 3, but I use COM 4 and COM 4 shows up under Ports -COM and LPT).

APCC does not start by itself when the computer reboots. I have to manually do it. Additionally, when I am imaging, I start APCC manually prior to starting my imaging software.

Thanks,
Dhaval

Ray Gralak

Hi Dhaval ,

I just did a reboot for the computer - Under Ports (COM and LPT), I see the same COM port that APCC uses to
connect the mount (I believe I had said I use COM 3, but I use COM 4 and COM 4 shows up under Ports -COM
and LPT).
Is APCC also configured to use COM4 to connect to the mount?

If so, the only other suggestion I have is to try uninstalling/reinstalling the USB/serial driver.

-Ray Gralak

I just did a reboot for the computer - Under Ports (COM and LPT), I see the same COM port that APCC uses to
connect the mount (I believe I had said I use COM 3, but I use COM 4 and COM 4 shows up under Ports -COM
and LPT).

APCC does not start by itself when the computer reboots. I have to manually do it. Additionally, when I am
imaging, I start APCC manually prior to starting my imaging software.

Thanks,
Dhaval

Dhaval

Ray,
COM 4 is the only one that I use to connect the mount to the computer (through a virtual port of course).

I can try to reinstall the FTDI drivers and see if that solves the issue.

Thanks,
Dhaval