To PEC or not to PEC..

Roland Christen

..that is the question (apologies to the Bard)

Hi Astronuts,

We have been shipping out 1100 mounts in the present production run, and as most of you know the mounts are tested here and loaded with a PE curve into the CP4 memory. Our mount technician, Dave, spends a considerable amount of time testing the native PE of the mount. He then creates a very accurate and smooth PE curve and loads that curve back into the mount. The resultant accuracy with PE turned on is 1 arc sec Peak to Peak or less (Rms typically comes in under 0.2 arc sec). I just saw on Crowdy Nights where one of our new customers ignored the loaded curve and created his own right off the bat, under very poor conditions to boot. The resultant PE looks worse than with PE turned off!

When we send out these mounts, a very accurate PE curve is in memory and can be turned on by the user. It is very accurate and does not need to be updated, even though we also send you a copy of PEMPro so you can create your own PE curve to replace the one already in memory. Don't be in a big hurry to create your own PE curve and load it into the CP4 memory. By all means play with the software, measure the PE with and without compensation turned on and even create your own curve and compare it to the one that's factory loaded into memory (PEMPro allows you to do that), but DON'T just overwrite what is there in memory to begin with. In fact it's a good idea to bring the factory curve up with PEMPro and save it on your laptop. That way you can always load it back into the CP4 if your own curve doesn't work out.

On top of that, if you are going to create a PE curve, make sure that you have a good night with good stability where the stars don't pulsate or move around due to upper atmosphere disturbances. Then also follow instructions so that your resultant curve is smooth, because if you load a ragged curve into memory, all those pops and sniggles will be played back faithfully and impact your tracking and guiding in negative ways.

You have been handed a fine violin that was tuned to perfection by Dave, our expert tuner. So practice that Mozart concerto with the instrument as is, before turning it into a slack key guitar.

Rolando

Dale Ghent

Question, Roland - how /do/ you create the factory curves? Do you haul each mount out to the observatory and wait for a suitably clear and stable night, or do you have a (literally) in-house test bench made for doing this with repeatable precision at any time?

/dale

On Dec 7, 2018, at 1:48 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

We create the encoder curve using proprietary PEMPro software and a precision reference motion that is accurate to +- 1/10 arc sec. The mount's movement is compared to that precision reference and the deviation is recorded and used to create a PE curve. This is just like using the precise motion of the Earth's rotation that you measure using a distant star when you do a PEMPro run on the night sky.

We run 5 worm cycles to create the PE curve. We check to make sure all 5 cycles lie on top of each other, which is an indication that all the gearbox components are doing the right thing. The curve is created and downloaded and we do another 3 cycle run with PE turned on to verify that the compensation curve is correct. All the data from these curves are stored here for future reference in case there are any questions about performance of a particular mount. If someone has a situation where they would like to restore their factory curve, we can download it in their CP4 over the internet.

Question, Roland - how /do/ you create the factory curves? Do you haul each mount out to the observatory and wait for a suitably clear and stable night, or do you have a (literally) in-house test bench made for doing this with repeatable precision at any time?

/dale

> On Dec 7, 2018, at 1:48 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:
>

> ..that is the question (apologies to the Bard)
>
> Hi Astronuts,
>
> We have been shipping out 1100 mounts in the present production run, and as most of you know the mounts are tested here and loaded with a PE curve into the CP4 memory. Our mount technician, Dave, spends a considerable amount of time testing the native PE of the mount. He then creates a very accurate and smooth PE curve and loads that curve back into the mount. The resultant accuracy with PE turned on is 1 arc sec Peak to Peak or less (Rms typically comes in under 0.2 arc sec). I just saw on Crowdy Nights where one of our new customers ignored the loaded curve and created his own right off the bat, under very poor conditions to boot. The resultant PE looks worse than with PE turned off!
>
> When we send out these mounts, a very accurate PE curve is in memory and can be turned on by the user. It is very accurate and does not need to be updated, even though we also send you a copy of PEMPro so you can create your own PE curve to replace the one already in memory. Don't be in a big hurry to create your own PE curve and load it into the CP4 memory. By all means play with the software, measure the PE with and without compensation turned on and even create your own curve and compare it to the one that's factory loaded into memory (PEMPro allows you to do that), but DON'T just overwrite what is there in memory to begin with. In fact it's a good idea to bring the factory curve up with PEMPro and save it on your laptop. That way you can always load it back into the CP4 if your own curve doesn't work out.
>
> On top of that, if you are going to create a PE curve, make sure that you have a good night with good stability where the stars don't pulsate or move around due to upper atmosphere disturbances. Then also follow instructions so that your resultant curve is smooth, because if you load a ragged curve into memory, all those pops and sniggles will be played back faithfully and impact your tracking and guiding in negative ways.
>
> You have been handed a fine violin that was tuned to perfection by Dave, our expert tuner. So practice that Mozart concerto with the instrument as is, before turning it into a slack key guitar.
>
> Rolando

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    ap-gto-digest@...
    ap-gto-fullfeatured@...

Stuart

Very interesting. Thanks Rolando!

Possibly a dumb question but when I upgraded my AP900GTO to CP4, it seemed important to know the serial # of my mount. I assumed it was to load my original PEC curve from your shop into my CP4. The mount tracked superbly before and still does. Is that just a reflection of overall quality or did your team indeed load my original PEC curve into my CP4?

Stuart

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 13:58, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Chiri� R�my

Hello Rolando,

are able to send me PE curve of my AP1100-AE mount n°11003 ?

Thank you.

Rémy

On Dec 7, 2018, at 2:35 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

All the data from these curves are stored here for future reference in case there are any questions about performance of a particular mount. If someone has a situation where they would like to restore their factory curve, we can download it in their CP4 over the internet.

Rolando
With the exception for curves from CP3 boxes with Q or earlier chips, right?

I updated my CP3 from rev. O to V2, and I think my original PEC is unrecoverable due to chip changes after Q? If it *is* possible, I'd like to restore my original PEC to my V2-chipped CP3, but I'm under the impression that's not possible in my particular case?

/dale

Roland Christen

We ask for the serial number for our records. No, we did not load the CP3 curve into your CP4. The CP4 has a different memory with more data points, so the curves are not really compatible.

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 13:58, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@yahoogroups..com> wrote:

[...]

Please contact Howard at our Tech support and he can install it into your mount.

Question, Roland - how /do/ you create the factory curves? Do you haul each mount out to the observatory and wait for a suitably clear and stable night, or do you have a (literally) in-house test bench made for doing this with repeatable precision at any time?

/dale

> On Dec 7, 2018, at 1:48 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:
>

> ..that is the question (apologies to the Bard)
>
> Hi Astronuts,
>
> We have been shipping out 1100 mounts in the present production run, and as most of you know the mounts are tested here and loaded with a PE curve into the CP4 memory. Our mount technician, Dave, spends a considerable amount of time testing the native PE of the mount. He then creates a very accurate and smooth PE curve and loads that curve back into the mount. The resultant accuracy with PE turned on is 1 arc sec Peak to Peak or less (Rms typically comes in under 0.2 arc sec). I just saw on Crowdy Nights where one of our new customers ignored the loaded curve and created his own right off the bat, under very poor conditions to boot. The resultant PE looks worse than with PE turned off!
>
> When we send out these mounts, a very accurate PE curve is in memory and can be turned on by the user. It is very accurate and does not need to be updated, even though we also send you a copy of PEMPro so you can create your own PE curve to replace the one already in memory. Don't be in a big hurry to create your own PE curve and load it into the CP4 memory. By all means play with the software, measure the PE with and without compensation turned on and even create your own curve and compare it to the one that's factory loaded into memory (PEMPro allows you to do that), but DON'T just overwrite what is ther e in memory to begin with. In fact it's a good idea to bring the factory curve up with PEMPro and save it on your laptop. That way you can always load it back into the CP4 if your own curve doesn't work out.
>
> On top of that, if you are going to create a PE curve, make sure that you have a good night with good stability where the stars don't pulsate or move around due to upper atmosphere disturbances.. Then also follow instructions so that your resultant curve is smooth, because if you load a ragged curve into memory, all those pops and sniggles will be played back faithfully and impact your tracking and guiding in negative ways.
>
> You have been handed a fine violin that was tuned to perfection by Dave, our expert tuner. So practice that Mozart concerto with the instrument as is, before turning it into a slack key guitar.
>
> Rolando

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    ap-gto-digest@...
    ap-gto-fullfeatured@...

Joe Zeglinski

    You have been handed a fine violin that was tuned to perfection by Dave, our expert tuner. So practice that Mozart concerto with the instrument as is, before turning it into a slack key guitar.

Rolando
************
BRAVO, maestro Dave !

    Thanks for getting the AP mount’s  geared-orchestra in-tune, playing the same opus, right from the mount’s carton “grand opening”.

Joe Z.

Stuart

Okay - good to know. Thanks Rolando. I will put loading a new PEC curve on my list of "things to do".

Stuart

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 15:35, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

topboxman

Correct me if I'm wrong.

In addition to Rolando's excellent comments, I would suggest to never manually rotate the spur gears inside the gearbox cover because it will lose PEC unless you know exactly where to rotate the spur gears back to original spot. I think many people don't realize this.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <chris1011@...> wrote :

[...]

No you cannot in that case. Just make a new one.

> All the data from these curves are stored here for future reference in case there are any questions about performance of a particular mount. If someone has a situation where they would like to restore their factory curve, we can download it in their CP4 over the internet.
>
> Rolando

With the exception for curves from CP3 boxes with Q or earlier chips, right?

I updated my CP3 from rev. O to V2, and I think my original PEC is unrecoverable due to chip changes after Q? If it *is* possible, I'd like to restore my original PEC to my V2-chipped CP3, but I'm under the impression that's not possible in my particular case?

/dale

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    ap-gto-digest@...
    ap-gto-fullfeatured@...

Rotating the gears manually will lose the registration of the PE curve with respect to the gears. You can rotate them all you want with the drive buttons (on the keypad or other software/hardware). You just can't rotate the spur gears with the power off or when the mount is parked and the motors are not powered up.

---In ap-gto@..., wrote :

[...]

Hi Rolando,

Your explanation is much better than mine.

The only drawback about spinning the spur gears with hand controller or third party software while mount is powered up is you may not be able to "feel" the tightness or looseness of the gears to see if the gears need remeshing unless you know a way. I have seen your instructions in your manuals about marking the spur gears with a pen so that you can return the spur gears to original location without affecting PEC if you rotate the spur gears by hand and the mount is powered off.

Thanks,
Peter