Bright supernova SN 2018ivc in Messier 77

Terry Robison

I think the links where not correct.

Sorry,  Try these.

or

I have been imaging this galaxy over the past month.  I don’t have a complete data set, so the image quality is not the best.  But, there is a gem in there.  On the 24 November 2018, a type II Supernova has just been spotted fairly close the nucleus of M77.  I have two images. The first frame was taken on the 12th of November 2018, and the second on the 28th of November 2018.

 It’s very interesting when you go through your data stack and find these gems.  The image was taken with a 10 RCOS, with a SBIG STL 11000 on an AP-900 mount.   The dark lines in the third frame show the location of the event.

Terry

Roland Christen

That's really cool!

I have been imaging this galaxy over the past month.  I don’t have a complete data set, so the image quality is not the best.  But, there is a gem in there.  On the 24 November 2018, a type II Supernova has just been spotted fairly close the nucleus of M77.  I have two images. The first frame was taken on the 12th of November 2018, and the second on the 28th of November 2018.

 It’s very interesting when you go through your data stack and find these gems.  The image was taken with a 10 RCOS, with a SBIG STL 11000 on an AP-900 mount.   The dark lines in the third frame show the location of the event.

Terry

Stuart

VERY cool Terry!

Stuart

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 at 06:24, terry.robison@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I think the links where not correct.

Sorry,  Try these.

or

I have been imaging this galaxy over the past month.  I don’t have a complete data set, so the image quality is not the best.  But, there is a gem in there.  On the 24 November 2018, a type II Supernova has just been spotted fairly close the nucleus of M77.  I have two images. The first frame was taken on the 12th of November 2018, and the second on the 28th of November 2018.

 It’s very interesting when you go through your data stack and find these gems.  The image was taken with a 10 RCOS, with a SBIG STL 11000 on an AP-900 mount.   The dark lines in the third frame show the location of the event.

Terry

Terry Robison

Thanks mate.  That was luck, it didn't arrange that to happen.  :)

Terry Robison

Many thanks sir.

Ben Koltenbah

You sure planned that well, Terry!

Ben

Terry Robison

I just consulted my supernova almanac :)

Ben Koltenbah

Terry:

I'll never forget SN 2014J in M82.  Here's the Wikipedia excerpt about the discoverers:

On 21 January 2014 at 19.20 UT, a previously unseen star was observed in M82 at magnitude +11.7 by Dr. Steve J. Fossey, along with a team of 4 of his students, at University College London's training observatory, the University of London Observatory.

It turns out that the night before, really just a few hours before Pacific Time, I had taken some test images of M82 but decided to dedicate my time to M81 because I thought it looked "cooler".  I was a brand new imager and didn't bother to compare my few M82 shots with previous ones on the internet.  I could have been famous with my name in Wikipedia had I been more alert!  Alas, destined for obscurity instead ...

What's funny is that their pictures of M82 and the newly discovered SN were even worse than mine ...

Ben

Roland Christen

We would be interested to see your images of M82 for sure. Send us a link.

[...]

I just thought it was my eyes.  It looked weird at first, and it's very close to the core making it hard to spot.  The core of that galaxy is very bright.  Being alert is half the battle :)   It's very cool to think that it happened so long ago and only reaching us now.

Terry Robison

I will see if I can clean it up a little.  I thought it was interesting, and it was a bit of a rush job.  I just wanted to share the image.

Terry

Terry Robison

They may help locating the Supernova.  A short animation blinking before and after.

Terry

Terry Robison

Here is an animated GIF

Single 900 sec subs with some colour data thrown in.

Terry

Geof Lewis

A lovely animation Terry
Cheers,

Geof

Single 900 sec subs with some colour data thrown in.

Terry

Terry Robison

Thank you Geof.

Roland Christen

WoW! That's really excellent. You are a co-discoverer then.

They may help locating the Supernova.  A short animation blinking before and after.

Terry

Roland Christen

Love it!

Single 900 sec subs with some colour data thrown in.

Terry

DFisch

Terry you are inspiring and I am so amazed and humbled by you caturing such an event. Thank for sgaring

TJF 📱

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018, 07:14 terry.robison@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@... wrote:

They may help locating the Supernova.  A short animation blinking before and after.

Terry

Terry Robison

Just luck really.  Thanks for looking.

Terry Robison

Thanks Rolando.  I took the best single 900 sec sub before and after, and blinked between to two.  I am surprised how well it came up in the end with such limited data.