APCC and Master/slave computers

Chris Patrick

I have been wondering if I need to have an instance of APCC running on the computer in my house (Master) while the slave computer in my observatory is running another copy? It seems to me if the computers are linked via Teamviewer I should only need 1 instance running on the slave. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance!
Chris Patrick

Joe Zeglinski

Chris,

    I do just that – TeamViewer MASTER (i.e. Host) is running on the scope computer, and the kitchen computer runs TeamViewer Slave (Guest). I think I got that right. You need a copy of TV (free download for non-commercial users) on each PC. In fact I have simultaneously connected three PC’s in the house each with their TeamViewer, to the Master scope PC Teamviewer, so it works just great.

    The only caveat is – I suggest you click on EXTRAS-Options-General , and change the “Incoming LAN Connections”  settings box to “Accept” (not. Accept Exclusively, unless you want to block total access to the scope from ANY remote PC beyond the house internal LAN).

    Otherwise, your kitchen PC TeamViewer (screen update, mouse, and keyboard) commands will leave your modem. travel to your ISP, zoom over to the TeamViewer Servers some place else, perhaps in New York (?), or Germany, then turn around using the same route back to your backyard PC’s Teamviewer.
That’s darned slow, unreliable, liable to lose or have intermittent internet connection, and logs you out as the modem hunts for a better frequency band, while you are controlling your scope.

    Meanwhile “ACCEPTing” the local LAN option in EXTRAS, links the kitchen directly to the backyard scope, via WiFi. That works like a charm ... unless you run the kitchen  microwave oven for a snack, because it runs at the same WiFi signal frequency (2.4 GHZ) as your kitchen PC, for the longer distance stronger  signal to the outdoors.

    Otherwise, if there is some WiFi signal interference from the microwave, or a cordless phone, or a neighbour’s security camera, or a baby room monitor, ALL using the 2.4 Ghz band, you might still get a TeamViewer loss of WiFi signal & disconnect, and a message that TV is still ... “Trying to reconnect”.
Don’t fall for that – it will try for about 11 minutes, and then quit. Meanwhile, the scope (master) with APCC is still running just fine without you,  from the scope’s TeamViewer PC system, on its own.

    I always, IMMEDIATELY close TeamViewer window,  and quickly click Reconnect, losing only about a few seconds, and a very fast re-establishment of communications, like nothing went wrong.

    Good luck – TeamViewer is really great on local WiFi – not so much using the  worldwide long distance circle route to your backyard, just a few feet away !

Joe Z.

I have been wondering if I need to have an instance of APCC running on the computer in my house (Master) while the slave computer in my observatory is running another copy? It seems to me if the computers are linked via Teamviewer I should only need 1 instance running on the slave. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance!
Chris Patrick

Geert

APCC only runs on the PC controlling the telescope.  With Teamviewer as master on my laptop in house I just take over the screen of the PC in the observatory and can use the programs on the observatory PC from my laptop inside my home.

Geert Vdbulcke
Belgium