Can I bring the CP4 into the house

steven ho

Can I bring the CP4 into the house (power it and connect via USB) and fiddle with the horizons without having the motors attached.

Because it's going to rain and would rather not have everything outside.

Thanks!!

steve

Christopher Erickson

If you stop tracking before shutting down and make sure tracking is stopped for the entire indoor session and is stopped until the motors are reconnected, you won't lose your PEM tracking synchronization with the RA worm drive assembly. Otherwise you will have to rebuild your PEM curve.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018, 1:34 PM stevenhoffman53@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Can I bring the CP4 into the house (power it and connect via USB) and fiddle with the horizons without having the motors attached.

Because it's going to rain and would rather not have everything outside.

Thanks!!

steve

Roland Christen

Set your tracking rate at STOP, otherwise the CP4 will detect a motor stall.

Can I bring the CP4 into the house (power it and connect via USB) and fiddle with the horizons without having the motors attached.
Because it's going to rain and would rather not have everything outside.

Thanks!!
steve

Roland Christen

It will just go into Motor Stall if it senses no motors turning.

If you stop tracking before shutting down and make sure tracking is stopped for the entire indoor session and is stopped until the motors are reconnected, you won't lose your PEM tracking synchronization with the RA worm drive assembly. Otherwise you will have to rebuild your PEM curve.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018, 1:34 PM stevenhoffman53@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Can I bring the CP4 into the house (power it and connect via USB) and fiddle with the horizons without having the motors attached.
Because it's going to rain and would rather not have everything outside.

Thanks!!
steve

Christopher Erickson

Of course Roland is correct!

Just don't move controllers BETWEEN mounts and run the motors, or the PEM curves will be either wrong or out of sync.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

[...]

Thankfully I did not attempt to bring the CP4 into the house and I have Horizons working properly with the Ephemeris data from JPL.

My observatory can't be built soon enough.

thanks

steve

Sorry, your browser does not support frames. Please go to http://www.data-plumber.com/summitkinetics. Powered by Dyn WebHop URL Forwarding Engine. Dyn