Disengaging gears for fine balance

Roland Christen

Hi Folks, This appeared tonight on CN:

"Setting up yesterday and generally playing, I have yet to try the fine balance by disengaging the gears. I am a bit nervous after reading all the warnings, as the axes with the clutches disengaged are still so stiff that I can't tell how close I am to balance i.e. I can move the 28 lbs of weights an inch along the counterweight shaft with little noticeable effect. What worries me is that I flip the lever and it goes spinning! Have you tried that yet?"

Since I am not on CN at this time, I cannot answer him or re-assure him.

First let me say that simply loosening the clutch knobs 1/2 to 1 turn will not fully disengage it, so you will not likely be able to do rough balance. You need to disengage the clutch by 3-4 turns until he knobs are quite loose. You should then be able to do a fairly good balance.

For disengaging the the gears, please first send the mount to Park3 position. Then start with Dec, hold on to the back of the scope with one hand and disengage the gear by turning the lever fully counterclockwise. In Park3 the scope won't swing wild even if it is out of balance. Now simply move the scope back and forth by 45 - 90 degrees to judge the balance and make your adjustment accordingly. Finally, place the scope back into Park 3 by lining up the marks and re-engage the gears by turning the lever fully clockwise.

Do the RA balance next in exactly the same sequence by again starting in Park 3 position and holding the scope or holding the counterweight shaft. Disengaging the RA lever will not cause the scope to swing wildly, especially if you start with the counterweights all the way down on the shaft.

If anyone here is on CN, please relay this info to this thread:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/626227-delivered-astro-physics-mach-1-gto-pier-finally/page-7#entry8738137

Roland

steven ho

posted.

steve hoffman

[...]

Christopher Erickson

Roland, you need to quit lurking on Cloudy Nights. It will give you ulcers!

Because CN allows people to use handles and conceal their true identity, they will attract a lot more trolls, sock puppets, fanboys and con artists than forums that force the use of real names.

Yes, I am a mod on Crabby Nights so I know what I am talking about LOL.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

[...]

There are also people who need proper info, and sometimes that is hard to come by on that news group.

Roland

[...]

I thank you, sir Steve.

[...]

There is no doubt that your heart is true and you care about every single one of your customers!

And WHY these people would go to a wild-'n-wooly Internet forum for AP help instead of emailing or calling you, George and Howard directly is way beyond me.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

[...]

Stephen Winston

C'mon Chris - which decade are we living in? :)

As previously auggested on this list, it would be better if AP had a website or forum where all tvis information is readily available for people to find. That way they wouldn't have to go searching each time these questions come up.

And if setting up and maintaining a custom forum is too much overhead then AP could consider having a vendor specific forum on CN. That way the AP team could communicate directly to usrs, while making use of the capabilities that a real forum provides (e.g. have a sticky thread on mount balancing)

Suggesting that every new owner who wants to know the right procedure to balance their mount should have to call or email Roland directly just isn't productive for anyone involved.

Steve

Paul

Thanks Roland for your response (I'm DiscoDuck on CN who put that message there).

My apologies, I should've asked here first - not used yet to a manufacturer that offers such great help to their customers having just got my Mach1 yesterday  I'll stop here first in future.

I've just done the balancing now and it was as painless as you suggested. In fact, I was already very close from balancing with the clutches loose.

I'll ask one more question (in a new thread) while I'm here.

But in the meantime, thanks again. I'm looking forward to getting the Mach1 outside … once the rain's stopped!

Regards,
Paul

Ray Gralak

As previously auggested on this list, it would be better if AP had a
website or forum where all tvis information is readily available for
people to find.
Well, there is this:

http://www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/tech_support.htm

-Ray Gralak

C'mon Chris - which decade are we living in? :)

As previously auggested on this list, it would be better if AP had a website or forum where all tvis information is
readily available for people to find. That way they wouldn't have to go searching each time these questions come
up.

And if setting up and maintaining a custom forum is too much overhead then AP could consider having a vendor
specific forum on CN. That way the AP team could communicate directly to usrs, while making use of the
capabilities that a real forum provides (e.g. have a sticky thread on mount balancing)

Suggesting that every new owner who wants to know the right procedure to balance their mount should have to call
or email Roland directly just isn't productive for anyone involved.

Steve

Eric Dreher

And there you go.  Last year I spent a day reading these procedures before turning on the power.  Thanks, Chris. :)

Paul

Steve, I wasn't saying the info isn't there. There's plenty of great support docs, as Ray points out. I was just after some reassurance!! Basically since the axes were surprisingly - to me coming from an EQ6 -  stiff with only the clutches disengaged.

I do agree though that the Yahoo groups interface is clunky and a bit flakey e.g. my other question (separate thread) the initial question got posted twice for some reason.

Paul

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

A forum interface with sticky posts at the top covering common questions would certainly be a welcome change from Yahoo.

Michael Fulbright

On 7/31/2018 5:03 PM, privatekey42@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Steve, I wasn't saying the info isn't there. There's plenty of great support docs, as Ray points out. I was just after some reassurance!! Basically since the axes were surprisingly - to me coming from an EQ6 -  stiff with only the clutches disengaged.

I do agree though that the Yahoo groups interface is clunky and a bit flakey e.g. my other question (separate thread) the initial question got posted twice for some reason.

Paul

Christopher Erickson

Having all of the right information, at the right technical level and
organized to be found quickly for each user is always a challenge.

And unlike many astro manufacturers, AP products come with sophisticated
features, sophisticated manuals and no Big Red Buttons or training wheels.

Having an open-source, user community created & managed, web-based,
Wiki-style "AP super-manual" could be an interesting concept. A user goes
to a single AP Technical Support page on their PC/Tablet/Phone and
clicks/taps on the high-level menu of topics and then drills down to their
question and personal technical level. The deeper they go, the more
technical the information provided becomes.

I need to give that concept some more thought.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

C'mon Chris - which decade are we living in? :)

As previously auggested on this list, it would be better if AP had a website
or forum where all tvis information is readily available for people to find.
That way they wouldn't have to go searching each time these questions come
up.

And if setting up and maintaining a custom forum is too much overhead then
AP could consider having a vendor specific forum on CN. That way the AP team
could communicate directly to usrs, while making use of the capabilities
that a real forum provides (e.g. have a sticky thread on mount balancing)

Suggesting that every new owner who wants to know the right procedure to
balance their mount should have to call or email Roland directly just isn't
productive for anyone involved.

Steve

Yahoo Groups Links

---